“a pleasant surprise”

Shiraz Kitchen
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Elmsford
Cuisines: Middle Eastern, Persian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We are very excited to announce that Shiraz Kitchen is now under new management. We can not wait for you to try the new additions to the menu and sample the wine & beer! Need a place to hold an event? We are happy to welcome you and your group in our new party space where we will also be holding exciting cultural, social and family events. So please come in, meet the new team and sample some delicious food. We are looking forward to sharing this new beginning with you.
Florida
“a pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Tonight I arrived at this restaurant.. set along a fairly lonely stretch of road, and found this quaint little surprise.. from the outside it looks like a little lamp boutique. Inside, At 6 p.m. on a sat night, there was one table occupied. By 7,every table was occupied. There are two rooms, but it seems only the front room is used... dark gold cloth tablecovers with dark green cloth toppings.. warm up the atmosphere, there is persian music, , mirrors.. ..basically the place has a little atmosphere on the funky side. there are piles of persian rugs in the back room, for sale !! RUGS, but no wine ! Several people had bottles of wine with them, obviously regulars.-. as I had not known that they do not serve alcohol. I wonder why, as the restaurant is not new, has been reviewed by zagats and many sites. I wish they did,.. nevertheless, I ordered a homemade yogurt drink ( no, not lassi) and I suppose it was very good with fresh mint. I personally did not love it, but after spiking it with stevia ( I had with me) I liked it better. large for $3.( Wish I had rum with me instead of stevia! )

there are numerous appetizers pretty much in the $ 5 range, ..3 for $10.. salads..up to $10 ..
dinners $14-24 pretty much ( specials of the night were lamp chops ..4 ..sounded like a lot of food $24.. chicken chops dark meat $22..) I ordered a felafel salad with humuus and a kebob
( no bone) of... kind of a persian meatloaf.Koobideh Kabab it was good, but the felafel was weird. I would not order it again,... slices and not tasting like any felafel I've EVER had..but the meal on a whole was all right.. a tomatoe, grilled and yummy and onions..grilled..lettuce, a few olives.. and a bread they call nan
It was different from Indian nan, and arrived while we waited.. also I found weird, as it as dry and not hot by the time the food arrived. also , no dipping sauce or anything.. However with my dinner another one came, warmer.. still dryish and was the carbohydrate with my meal. My companion got the lamb kebab ( no bone) and it was with saffron flavored rice.. the lamb was good, the rice average.

People were cheerfully eating, noise level went up, not a bad thing as I feel it showed enthusiasm.
Guests at the Table next to me (against the back wall.). , were discussing politics and I found his comments disturbing.. not a pleasant way to spend a social evening .. when I'd rather be thinking about new food, new restaurant etc....hard to ignore when tables are that close.

Desert menu .. we ordered the tartufo amoretti..gelato ( Not italian style, ) delicious, he cut it in half for us to share.., I thought it was pricey $7.50.. but prob a bargain considering the zillion calories. Persian decalf tea $2 was served in a very cute cup. Service was courteous, serious.. I wish I had read the review written by Persiian Old Man.. so I could have ordered his recommended dishes. I will go back to this restaurant again for another try but not on a sat night.

• Visited September 2012

Dorset, VT
“Food with a smile”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

Fresh food friendly staff and the price is right. Take the time to find the Shiraz you will not be sorry.

Visited August 2012
Bergen County NJ
“Persian Food Done Right - Almost”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Being Persian (and chef), I am picky about the food from my native land. I like Shiraz but I don't love it. Let me begin with the gripe I have with all Persian Restaurants, be it in Tehran, Esfahan, New York, or Tehrangeles (A.K.A. Los Angeles, CA). Most Persian restaurant owners are not trained in culinary arts therefore they miss the target by miles. They are the engineering students or at best displaced diaspora that couldn't get a job in the mainstream job market - post hostage crisis America and their roommates at school always complemented them on their cooking, because they were too lazy to cook themselves. The dishes are the same old tired Chelokebabs that they copied from the last time they visited another tired old Persian restaurants. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, and Shiraz is a good example of it - although not completely uncharacteristic of the people above. The owner, Mr. Ababaaf and his family run this place. He is a charming business man who owns the Persian market with the same name, next door. He is a merchant of oriental goods first and a restauranteur second. This is evidenced as you enter the restaurant from the parking lot in the back with hand-made oriental rugs piled by the door. Or, the one time that we were there and there were surgical equipment piled high on one of the tables. Getting back to my original point, Persian Restaurants need someone from the culinary world to do it right, where they apply everything they know to improve on recipes, presentation, and quality.
Now that I am done with gripping, Mr. Ababaaf does try new things, his ingredients are fresh, and the execution is good for the price. I realize that Shiraz is no Micheline star quality restaurant. But the service is good, friendly, and adequate. Their location is easy access from 287 and has ample parking on and off the street.
The food is good and with the restaurant being a BYOB it is great value for the money. My only criticism is that there is no lunch menu. It means you will pay the same for dinner as lunch. But you can always take the extra food home for a quick dinner. I suggest the lamb shank with lima beans and dill rice. The shank is braised with a tomato based sauce. It is tender and delicious. The Kebabs are standard but cooked just right - most of the time. I also highly recommend the sour cherry rice (Albaloo Polo) with chicken kebab. I rarely partake on deserts, but from my family's experience, I think they are good.
The service staff are good, hard working, and try the hardest to please their guests. They are not professional wait staff, but are good to point you to the right dishes.

I recommend this restaurant over any other Persian restaurant in the area.

• Visited June 2012
3 Thank PersianOldMan
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“excellent place for authentic persian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We went there this weekend , had initially planned on an Indian buffet but changed our minds . Turned out to be an excellent place for an authentic Persian meal. My schooling was at a Persian place so ask me about authenticity ! Enjoyed the hummus,dolmeh and falafel salad . Persian tea with saffron was nice as well

• Visited August 2012
Somers, New York
“Excellent food, unique dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

I have dined at Shiraz on many occasions, with family and friends, and have never been disappointed. Our favorite drink is the doogh, a yogurt drink (we always ask for a pitcher of the homemade stuff, rather than the bottled Abali one). They do not serve alcoholic beverages, but many people bring their own bottles of wine to have with their dinners. My favorite appetizer is the yogurt with shallots (mast o moosir) which is so delicious for dipping with their fresh homemade flat bread. All the kebabs are good, although I'm partial to the chicken kebab. Finally, make sure you try the saffron ice cream! It's really special. The servings are quite large, and you might not have much room left at that point, but you can easily share with other members of your party. Also, be sure to check out their store right next door. They have lots of Iranian and middle eastern foods including many bulk items. All in all, this is a really fine establishment: no place like it anywhere else in Westchester.