“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Elmira
West Grove, PA
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed February 26, 2009

What a pleasant surprise!! I travel a lot for business and normally stay at Hampton or Holiday Inn Express. I tried this Econolodge, not knowing what to expect. Rooms are clean. Everything in very good condition – towels, bedding, pillows. Rooms have in-room micro, frig, coffee maker, iron & ironing board, even a DVD player! Hot breakfast buffet from FOUR (4) AM until 10AM. Staff was helpful and cheerful with A+ attitude! Great location near restaurants and stores. Rate was VERY competitive. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank RickD49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
niagara
Reviewed November 25, 2008

Wow. Thanks to tripadvisor, we booked this hotel after calling many in Corning, Horseheads, Elmira and area. This was the second best price (another was $55, this was $62) - but directly halfway on our trip, right off the highway, and everything included - free breakfast, free wifi, free local and long distance, DVD player in room - and I'm sure there's more - oh yes, snacks in the lobby. It was perfect for our needs, to cut our 7 hour trip in half.

Now, there's no such thing as a free lunch, so of course it isn't the caliber of a 3 star hotel - so the radiator is not digital, the refrigerator occassionally made a weird noise, and everything is simple and basic. The crib was scary but they'll have to replace that, and we couldn't get the whirlpool tub to work but there may have been instructions somewhere and I may have turned it on too early.

There is an iron and ironing board, a hairdryer, microwave, fridge, TONS of HOT HOT water at the taps - if you want the best you can get for under $65, this is it. Don't come to look at the room in awe, come for the incredible attention to what you need/want.

oh and staff are incredibly friendly too!

Stayed November 2008
1 Thank annniagara_8
Bath, NY
Reviewed September 9, 2008

We stayed here back in April, 2008. I just got into writing reviews. I'm a person who counts on what I read to be fact and fair. Glad to see others after my stay had a great time. Maybe they had a change in staff or something. I personally would never go back. Our stay was terrible. We were just looking for something close to the Mall to stay over night to shop. We got there and there were a bunch of people hanging out on the first floor as if they lived there all the time?? At check in, we were given a card key. Went up to the room and it was allready occupied. good thing for the folks in there, they had the cbain on the door. Our key did work!! Back at the clerk's desk we told them someone was in our room. She called the manger, who came out of one of the down stairs rooms, visiting family?? The manager insisted that she personally gave it to the person who reserved it. Obviously not!! So we were given another room. With double beds! not a single bed, like couples normally do. My husband wasn't at all happy. There was renovations going on, or that's what they wanted us to think. More of the same type of folks hanging around in the halls upstairs as out front of the building. We questioned if our things would be safe there unattended. Well shopping was good, upon our return, we noticed the TV we left on was now off! I called the clerk got the not so friendly manger, I asked if the tv turns off by itself, she said "sometimes". I'm like excuse me, she said agian "sometimes". Hence we had to see if it would go off again. And it did!!! about every 10 minutes! Around 4am, my husband noticed that he was itching terribly and I found all these little red bumps on him . . glad I slept in a different bed. Needless to say, we left around 4:30am and headed for home. To quote my husband "you get what you pay for". After a trip to the doctors we found out it was flea bits!!!!!!! I called the hotel to let them know, they said we should have stayed to the morning so that they could see it for themselves. YEAH RIGHT! NOT. We normally do 4 or 5 star, but figured we try economy this time. Should have gone the other route. That's my take on it. Good luck with your hotel searching.

• Liked — close to the Mall
  • Disliked — the fleas!!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Travelers are raving about these Elmira hotels

Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2008

One weekend overnight stay. Staff was courteous, accommodating, and quick. The room was CLEAN (very important to me). Yes, the hotel room showed some wear, but nothing extreme or distasteful. Yes, it is located very near Rt. 17 (major highway), but noise level was minimal. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Value for the money
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
USA
Reviewed June 23, 2008

Booked NS room directly - given SM room - changed room for us after complaining but gave us another's reservation! Poor customer relations to repeatedly book NS and not have them available. NS on 2nd floor - no elevator - hard on person who has had a stroke. Dingy hall, ripped carpet with duct tape over tears. Decent breakfast. Only advantage is that it is close to businesses. I'm not sure how they are ranked so high for stays but it was a total disappointment after traveling so long. Not recommended.

• Liked — Hot Breakfast
  • Disliked — Run down - needs some TLC
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
West Virginia
Reviewed March 21, 2008

My family had to travel to Elmira, NY, for a funeral and stayed at the Econo Lodge across from Arnot Mall. I was skeptical at first because of the price of the rooms. However, from the time we arrived at the hotel until we left, we experienced very friendly service from the hotel staff. Our rooms were clean upon arrival and refreshed each day. Breakfast each morning was a buffet of waffles, strawberries, biscuits, sausage/gravy, cold cereals, bagels, cream cheese and danish pastries, plus coffee/tea. We enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend it to our friends.

Stayed March 2008
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Stopped on the way to Ontario. Used a Roomsavers coupon.
Room had refrig. & microwave. No elevators (2 floors). Good location for shopping, with an enclosed mall across the highway and another right out front of the motel. Breakfast was good. Eggs, ham, waffles, cereal, juice, etc.

Downside: stained bedcovers and rugs.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmira
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
Rodeway Inn Marshall Manor
#8 of 11 in Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview
Holiday Inn Express Elmira Horseheads
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads
Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning

Been to Econo Lodge? Share your experiences!