“Phenomenal Ribs, 'fish bites', pizza and more”
Review of Bernie Murray's

Bernie Murray's
Ranked #29 of 110 Restaurants in Elmira
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I eat at Bernie Murray's quite often and decided to go there, actually two times in the past two weeks. I have seen the reviews below and decided I had to write in, because I've always had good experiences here.
The owner seems to be updating the place. New paint, etc from what I understand and overheard at the bar and even the new paint job spruces the place up.
I have read from the reviews below about patrons surprised by the no credit card policy. It's been in effect for two years now and they have signs posted in every room. It's even posted behind the bar. I do go here quite regularly though, so I notice things like that.
If you've never been, seeing as it's lent, he has fish fry every Friday. Although last week I noticed these little fish nugget things down the bar and they actually make things called 'fish bites' but you have to ask for them to be made. It's just smaller chunks of their fish fry but they were awesome! It also came with fries, as does the fish fry.
If it's not a Friday, I'd either go for the ribs that absolutely fall off the bone or the new flat bread pizzas they make. I learn a lot by even eating at the bar sometimes as they owner will bring out new offerings sometimes on Friday or Saturday night's for people to try, but you've got to get a seat at the bar earlier, as it seems there are a crowd of 'regulars' that come in on the weekends and it fills up fast.
I've always had good meals here and I saw last week that they are starting to spruce up the place a bit. I'll be interested to see what other changes they might make. After a lot of years, I still enjoy going in here.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Attended a recent retirement party here. They manage ot skimp on just about everything. Tiny paper plates, no silverware !?!? and the food is heart disease in a warming pan. For what we paid per person, didn't even include soft drinks. Owner's so cheap, he won't even spring for the 2% the credit card companies charge.

1  Thank elbojbb
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We went for my birthday for lunch on a weekday, so we were one of three tables there. It took over a half hour to get our food, and when we received it, the chicken wings were so overdone and crispy we couldn't eat them. Then, as they don't take credit cards, we had to use their ATM, only it was out of cash. So, to pay for our meal, we had to walk to the run down Byrne Dairy to use their ATM. This restaurant has gone way down hill, and only because the owner is a greasy, greedy, disgusting excuse for a human being who only cares about making a dollar. I'm disgusted that such a previously fine establishment has gone so far down hill. I saw the previous comment about the woman changing her baby's diaper on the dining table, and believe it 100%. I'm sure the owner said those things to that woman, because he is a known jerk in our town. Don't give him another cent of your hard earned money!

1  Thank nimicholas
Reviewed January 26, 2012

The food was just ok, with very small menu you better hope you are not picky or have food allergies. It is a bar so you may not want to take your kids even of you sit in the dining room because you have to walk through the bar to be seated. The bathrooms are very run down and not very clean. Drinks are not refillable, not even soda or tea and they tell you after you order and get your food to use the ATM in the bar to get cash to pay your overpriced bill. They do not take any form of plastic. Also, $8.95 for a dozen of wings is a bit bogus.

Reviewed November 19, 2011

We used to love this restaurant and were excited to go there on our recent date night. However, we were soon disappointed. We were told that they did not give out free refills anymore only AFTER my husband drank his glass fairly quickly from being thirsty. Service was fair, but when our bill came my husband tried to pay with our credit card and we were told they no longer accepted credit cards. They have an ATM in the restaurant, but it has a $2.50 fee for use. We had barely enough cash on us to pay the bill. Needless to say we will not be returning.

1  Thank TMHammer