“Best Steak”

Ranked #42 of 112 Restaurants in Elmira
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2011

The best NY strip steak and the best filet mignon in the area. Service is excellent, restaurant is neat and clean. No rush to finish one course before the second comes - can enjoy the meal. Locally known for their pasta but I can't go without a steak. Also has very tasty shrimp scampi. Pricey for the area but the food is more than worth it.

1  Thank ekg14830

Reviewed October 31, 2011

I was raised in Elmira and have many fond memories of dining at Moretti's. Unfortunately my last visit, on a trip home a few days ago will be my last. The food has gone downhill so far it really is not worth the time or money. Again, hate to say this because I have loved this restaurant for many years. There was virtually no flavor on either the chicken or beef, and the spaghetti sauce was oppressively sweet Yukj!!!!!! !The service was friendly and excellent but the poor quality of the food overwhelms even this.

4  Thank susan r
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Had read the reviews about Moretti's and thought that since the more recent comments were giving the place better ratings, we thought we'd give it a try. Unfortunately, we did not have a great experience. The waitress was pleasant, but service was very slow. The place opened at 5:00 and we had 5:15 reservations but didn't get out of there until around 7:30! Our salads looked & tasted like they came out of a bag - plain lettuce, some carrot strips and one token little tomato. I had eggplant parm which consisted of 2 thin strips of eggplant on a large plate, with some plain sauce and melted cheese on top. Had side order of spaghetti which wasn't quite drained of water, with plain sauce. Daughter had strip steak which she said was yummy. Son had veal with plain sauce which he wasn't thrilled with, and husband had chicken caccatorri which was plentiful but tasted ok. Plus 2 appetizers and 2 sodas for $104 total plus tip. As others have commented, the lighting is uncomfortably dark, especially as we were reading our menus! The place could use updating, but we didn't mind that part. We were really hoping for a wonderful dinner out to celebrate a special occasion, and instead got okay food at high prices. Very disappointed. Too bad. Also, their website address does not work.

1  Thank Lis150
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I want to start off by saying this is my first restaurant review and I’m certainly not a restaurant critic. I've simply traveled quite a bit through the years and have eaten in some very nice 5 star restaurants and some not so nice...
In my opinion I would have to say Moretti's Restaurant continues to remain in the top 3 finest Italian- American restaurants in the Southern Tier of NY. They have been family owned and operated since 1917. We all have our favorite restaurants, everyone’s taste, idea of perfection and expectations are different.
Food- Moretti’s are famous for their steak’s, chops, veal and Italian specialty dishes. You can’t go wrong with their Filet Mignon or NY Strip. However, I would have to say they also have one of the best hamburgers and pizza in Elmira! Even the house salad w/crumbled blue cheese and their Italian (oil/vinegar) dressing is incredible!
I can honestly say that every dinner I have ever ordered myself or been in the company of other guests, including my friends and other out of town visitors who I have referred have consistently been very good to excellent remarks!
Service- I have found the service to be very good; the staff seems to be very knowledgeable of their dishes. There doesn’t seem to be much turnover in their wait staff and they all seem to be very friendly and personable. I’ve noticed there seems to be more and more walk in business, including myself , whereas they used to request reservations. Lets face it, this can have a very significant effect on the quality of service when it's difficult to predict how much walk in business they can expect on any given night and in turn not have enough staff on hand to accommodate everyone at once.
Atmosphere- Moretti’s definitively has a relaxed, unpretentious atmosphere to it! I have to agree with as one of the previous reviewers called it “unintentional retro”. So true, you walk into the restaurant past some very comfortable booths, (which are at times difficult to reserve) to the maitre d’ desk. They have 5 dining rooms, including one private room for meetings or family style dinner. Some are nice and some possibly need a little updating (depending on your taste) although that retro look is back in. Moretti’s has low lights and a very comfortable feel to it.
Attire-Is fairly casual, pretty much the same as the majority of restaurants these days. Yet you wouldn’t feel over dressed if you were to wear a tie & suit or sport coat, skirt, dress or capris, and could easily get by wearing bermuda shorts or nice jeans.
My thoughts- I read several negative reviews in which the reviewers claimed to have had better meals at McDonalds. One reviewer claimed that for some reason old-time Elmiran’s love Moretti’s and that anyone who considered Moretti’s “Fine Dining” obviously had never been to a four star restaurant before. Yet the only reviews the reviewer had posted were of a tavern and 2-3 star average and budget hotels/motels? Another negative review was posted by someone who posted one other restaurant (obviously their favorite), bakeries, markets and sub shops? I found it interesting that the majority reviews were posted by out of town visitors who had posted reviews all over the US and all but one gave Moretti’s positive reviews. These reviewers had nothing to gain by posting a positive review, with the exception of possibly hoping that Moretti’s would still be there for their next Elmira visit.
Moretti’s have had some very good competition through the years, many restaurants have come and gone and now with all the big restaurant chains with their unlimited advertising budgets, it must be even more difficult to compete! I believe the fact that they've been in operation by the same family since 1917 tells me that they must have been doing something right all those years.

5  Thank paultotravel
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We come to the area every year to race at WGI, and so Moretti's is a must do experience each visit! You will not find a better filet mignon in any restaurant on the East Coast, and the service is attentive experienced. This is the one meal I look forward to each year!!!

1  Thank VirtualJB