“New Management”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Elmira
Boynton Beach, Florida
“New Management”
Reviewed August 8, 2006

I didn't see the previous reviews but looked up a place to stay on my GPS while driving to Niagara Falls. It looked average so I decided to check the room out first before I paid. Serendipity. My wife even liked it. Large room, king size bed, clean sheets and towels. A/C worked well, so did the fridge (to keep the fruit and water cold). Didn't have a chance to use the microwave or phone, but the TV worked well and it also had cable. Parking just outside the door and it was quiet. We even stayed on the way back. Price was very cheap (under $50 inc. taxes). I spoke to the manager who said he had taken over the motel 3 months ago. From my experiences there I can highly recommend it. I travel frequently (airline pilot) and was pleasently surprised.

• Liked — clean, large, everything worked, plenty of hot water under pressure
  • Disliked — average looking
  • Tips/Secrets — best value on a trip through NY wine country or travelling to Niagara Falls
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank skyken

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed July 3, 2006

we needed a room and since we were in the area, visiting the sites and this is mark twain country we figured this most be a good place. WRONG. Everything was bad cold room, cold wateer. dingy sheets (THEY WERE APPARENTLY NOT EVEN CLEAN], . Upon talking with some one who was a resident there...this is the homeless shelter they use for the county. Poor excuse they shouldnot even be in the business....yes sleeping in a dumpster would be better.

• Stayed July 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 18, 2006

I stayed there and I will never again ever I would rather sleep in the dumpster out back the room was cold the heater barley worked the phone didn't work thank god there wasn't an emergency of som kind the T.V. remote was broke so I had to keep getting up about the only thing that was any god was the bed they were comfortable

• Stayed January 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 6, 2002

Our first clue about our impending stay was when we asked where the pool was. "Oh, it's out there, we filled it with dirt and put plants in it. but you can sit in the patio chairs by it" the decor is retro 60's, actually it's real 60's. even the dirt is old. Toilet paper is included but you have to buy bars of soap. Apparently not everyone needs it. It took awhile for our rooms to get ready because they had to move the help out of them before they could get them ready. It was thoughtful for them to leave a half sandwich in the minifridge for us. We wanted both HOT and cold running water so only a few rooms would do. We were attending a wedding and got the place off of the internet, beware of internet hotels. We called a cab so we could party down a little. The cab driver said "you must not be from around here, this is the worst hotel in town" The girls with us were mortified but were good sports about the whole thing. All in all it was something we'll always laugh about but if you are going to Elmira for some unknown reason I'd suggest another place, like a homeless shelter, rather than the Mark Twain.

20 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Elmira
Holiday Inn Elmira Riverview
Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge
#3 of 5 in Elmira
Hampton Inn Elmira/Horseheads
Candlewood Suites Elmira Horseheads
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Big Flats (Elmira)
Fairfield Inn & Suites Elmira Corning

Been to Mark Twain Motor Inn? Share your experiences!