“Almost There” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Ellicottville
Oakville, Canada
“Almost There”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Tamarack from 2/27/13 to 3/2/13. We had a slopeside one bedroom unit on the second floor. The second floor has a number of advantages as it houses the ski check, the indoor garage, and the pool. As well, it's a short elevator ride to the almost ski in/ski out exit on the first floor. Our unit was 207 which is well away from the elevator which also meant very few people ever walking by the door so the stay was quite quiet and peaceful.

The Good

Ski conditions were great and the hills were almost empty. The groomers did a great job after the freezing rain/rain on 2/27. There was virtually no ice and tons of packed powder. We had no more than a 30 second wait for any of the lifts.

The Bad

We checked in at about 6:00pm, parked the van in the indoor parking lot, and began to unload the van. When it came time to bring the skis to the ski check, there was no attendant in sight. I called the front desk on the house phone 13 times and got voice mail everytime (We are either on the phone or helping another guest). I then found a member of the cleaning staff who radioed the attendant.

Our unit wasn't made up on the first day even though we were out most of the time. I pressed the front desk for an explanation. But they didn't seem to have a reasonable excuse. n Day 2 after the unit still hadn't been made up by 1:00pm, I again talked to the front desk. When we returned at 5:00pm, the room had been made up.

While check in and check out were easy and fast, we were almost overcharged by about $250.00. While we had booked a 2 day package, we decided to spend an extra night. The billing system got thrown for a loop and attempted to charge us full room rates for 2 nights instead of one. But we got it sorted.

Overall

We had a very good time and would stay at the Tamarack again. It is not a four star luxury resort. But it is more than adequate for a 3 night stay mid week when the crowds are sparase and the snow is great. Given the apparent operational challeges, I suspect things could get a little hectic on busy weekends.

Room Tip: Second floor slopeside and away from the elevators puts you close to the action but away from the no...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Stayed four nights over the President's Day long weekend. First time to this lodging. The check -in was seamless. Parking was not a problem. The rooms were spacious and clean. The kitchenette had everything we needed. All staff encountered were very friendly and helpful. Loved the ski-in convenience with ready access to the slopes. Kids (and adults) loved the heated pool, sauna and hot tubs. All in all a great time was had the only down side a bit on the pricey side. I think there is room for improvement there. We will come back.

Rochester, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We have come to Ellicottville for the last several years to ski with our kids for a few days each winter. This was our first time staying in the Tamarack Club. We have stayed at the Holiday Valley Inn (HVI) and at the Windham in town in the past. There are features that I believe are better and worse than the other two hotels.
The Tamarack Club is clearly a step above with regard to luxury and location. It's modern, new, clean and great for skiing in and out for any skiing level. It has an indoor/outdoor pool like the HVI and a spa (which is pricey-- didn't try it). The rooms are very attractive and feature small fridges,microwaves, cutlery and other necessary kitchenette items in the standard rooms and a full kitchen in the adjoining Murphy bed suite our kids were in. The bedding was comfortable
On the down side, the basic room is smaller than the one in the HVI with only full beds (no queens or kings) and a pull out sofa-- so 4 can sleep in one room, but not in 2 queens as we did at the HVI. There is no breakfast included as in the HVI or Windham (which were very nice), so we brought bkfst items to keep in the kitchenette/kitchen. There is Starbucks coffee in the lobby as others have mentiones, which was nice.
As others have pointed out, check out is at 10 am, which is a little early for getting all the stuff together. Doesn't allow for a morning of skiing with the room for changing in before lunch but it was doable...
While you can ski in and out of the HVI, it's a little tough for novice/beginner skiers as you have to go down the bottom of a blue slope to get to the main chair lift-- There are shuttles but the Tamarack is very convenient for novices as it's right in front of the ski school, the bunny slope and all the main chair lifts.

With re: to service, the Vales and front desk people were helpful. I did let a housekeeper know that we were out of the room and wanted it cleaned as we were leaving to ski and I was planning on returning for lunch. It was not ready by lunch time when I came back for lunch-- though it was cleaned by 3:30...
So overall, a very nice place to stay, but I think it's a little overpriced for the value.

2 Thank tripmomRochester_NY
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I was treated to two nights at the Tamarack Club with family. It was easy to store our skis with the valet. And the room was right at the base of the mountain which made it easy to jump on the slopes. The downside was that our room was the first room next to where everyone comes in and out to valet their skis, so there were times that it was noisy. We were also right next to the pool and hot tub which was nice. Our room was comfortable-one room with a Murphy bed and a pullout; a gas fireplace and a full kitchen and bath. The front lobby was warm and inviting. I have to say that I was not overly impressed with the front desk. I never found them to be overly friendly nor helpful. It would have been helpful to know that our lift tickets could be purchased at front desk rather than over at the lodge where we rented skis; and that we qualified for our under 17 yr. old to ski for free-I happened to overhear this deal while sitting in the front lobby, however it was not offered to us until I said that we had children under 17. Not huge a huge deal, but I guess when you are staying at a resort of this quality, I would expect the front desk to be overly helpful.

New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I haven't even stayed here yet but I want to write a review on how horrible the booking process has been. I am staying here this coming summer for a wedding. I tried calling to find out about the wedding group rate.First of all, the front desk NEVER answers the phone! They make you leave a message and then no one calls back. When I FINALLY got through to someone asking about a discounted wedding group rate, she quoted me a rate HIGHER than what is on the website. When I asked why the group rate was higher she had no clue and she transferred me to two different people who were out of the office for a week!! Totally ridiculous and unacceptable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank NewYorker123_456
Fairport, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We stayed there a couple of years ago, and had the parking lot view, oh right, the Valley View. So when I made reservations for two rooms this year for my husband and I and another couple, I very clearly asked for slopeside view rooms, and paid the upcharge. When we checked in, one was slopeside view, and the other not......I called down, the person at the front desk checked, and nothing was available. Did not offer anything. Just out of luck.

So upon check out, since I had done my homework via TripAdvisor, I saw where Ashley had received several nice comments written about her. She was the manager on staff, so I told her what had happened. She credited me back the $9.00 upgrade. That wasn't the point. The point was I was assured by the person in reservations both rooms were slopeside view.....it just didn't start my trip off right.....

I also went to the upstairs bar for a beer the next day. Not friendly service.

I will try another location in Ellicottville if we go for another stay.

Room Tip: I don't have any.....if you ask, it doesn't seem like the request will be honored.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MaryFairport_NY
Stratford, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We ski annually at Holiday Valley and normally stay at the Inn for its convenience and family-friendly feel. We decided to try the Club for a change. Although most of the personnel were friendly and helpful we will not stay here again. Our room was small and awkward and had not been cleaned properly (there was actually food on the carpet and the bathroom smelled like urine). There were not enough towels for our family of four, it took two of us pulling together to open the pull-out couch, and the beds were very uncomfortable. We attempted to check our skiing gear into the storage room and, after waiting about ten minutes for service, a very grumpy man came to 'help'. He made it such a hassle to store our stuff that I finally asked him to give us back our things and I kept them in the ski box of our car for the remainder of the trip. The outdoor pool is nice but the inside portion is very small and not at all suitable for parents who'd like to supervise without swimming. Next trip will see us back at the rustic but friendly and convenient Inn.

• 2 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicottville
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
The New Lantern Motel
The New Lantern Motel
#1 of 2 in Allegany
4.5 of 5 stars 37 reviews

Been to Tamarack Club? Share your experiences!