“horrible”
Review of Edelweiss Lodge

Edelweiss Lodge
Edelweiss Lodge
Reviewed April 6, 2013

our stay was not good, the room itself was ok and clean but the air in there gave me a pounding headache, as soon as we checked out and i got fresh air my headache was gone instantly. probably wont stay there again...

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mistyc908

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I stayed at the Edelweiss last weekend. Had an enjoyable stay. I wanted a place that was clean, with comfortable beds, close to Holiday Valley and walking distance from town. I got all that. The rooms weren't too fancy and were sort of plain but very clean. The restaurant Balloons was recommended for dinner and live entertainment. That was an excellent recommendation. We walked all over town before hitting the slopes. The breakfast could be a a lot more but it sufficed. I will go back next year, based on location and price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a party of 8 and stayed in Chalet No. 3. The chalet is VERY dated and worn. We did notice that the smoke detectors were not working. Also, the light switches do not turn on the lights, you have to plug the dining room light in to turn on and unplug it to turn it off (probably a wiring issue that I believe could be deemed unsafe). That being said, we are very low maintenance and all adults so it suited our purposes. The dining room table is large enough for 10 people to sit around and the kitchen was functional enough for us to make breakfast. The location is perfect to walk to the Oasis Spa and the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PAfoster
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The service was horrible and the beds in cabin #1 gave us all back aches in the morning (one of the beds was on a broken tilt) to name just a few of the amenities! When we asked for assistance due to a dead car battery we were told (after they complained that they were on break) that we can't tie up the phone line - even though I am pretty sure we were the only people staying there.
It is simply not worth the low cost.

Room Tip: "My tip is don't stay here"
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank DMcDonell
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Location is great, within walking distance to the town, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about our stay. The inn looks great from the road (the plastic ferns - YUK! really look real from far away), but once you get to your room, you realize its like an old motel. The rooms are large, but 70's in style with absolutely no charm. This inn was rebuilt in 2001, just 11 years ago, yet is feels dated and old. Our bathroom was so dim, we could hardly see, the walls are very thin, you can hear your neighbor, even the room below was clear to hear at 2:30am when they returned to have a last drink before retiring. The staff seemed annoyed at our arrival and everything for me went downhill from there. Such a shame for such a lovely town.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luxtravelAR
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Right from the first phone call, I should have known. Of three different calls, I got conflicting information about availability. Their reservation policy is archaic; they fax a credit card authorization form for signature, you sign it and fax it back. They charge the entire stay immediately and their cancellation policy is ridiculous. I had no other choice; my daughter had her heart set on skiing Holiday Valley during President's Day weekend and every other hotel in the area was booked so we took it. The room was dated, it looked like 1970's decor. The beds were hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. A nice little bonus was the huge brown puke stain on the carpet next to one of the beds, clearly showing how little this place cares about it's image or cleanliness. I still can't believe that was even there, it was just disgusting. Lastly, I'm not sure why they have a 10:00 am checkout when they have a 4:00 pm check-in. That makes no sense to me but it's kinda par for the course with the rest of their hospitality. I would not hesitate to spend $100 more per night for a room at one of the larger hotels. The old saying, "good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good" really rings true in this case. I don't consider this place cheap by any means, but compared to the better hotels in the area, it's definitely cheaper. You do get what you pay for, which is not much.

Room Tip: I would find it hard to believe that this dump has a good room anywhere.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Chris S
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Edelweiss. Our room in the "brownstone" was passable at best. Two chairs in the room were so disgustingly filthy, we chose not to place belongings on them. The shower was equally neglected, and we avoided it altogether. Worst of all, however, one member of our family awoke riddled with nasty bug bites. We counted 13 to be exact. When we told the manager that we had good reason to suspect they have a bed bug problem in one of the beds, and showed him the bites, he resisted. Actually, he claimed that there couldn't be any bed bugs because they had just had the exterminator in that room...again....recently, and the beds were new. A very suspicious defense, All I can say is, we arrived with no bug bites, spent the day bundled in winter clothing (i.e. no skin exposed), and awoke with obvious bites. Draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank A S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicottville
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
Inn at Holiday Valley
Inn at Holiday Valley
#2 of 5 in Ellicottville
Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springville
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Salamanca
Best Western Plus University Inn

Been to Edelweiss Lodge? Share your experiences!