“Average”

Edelweiss Lodge
Bridgeville, PA
“Average”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We had a party of 8 and stayed in Chalet No. 3. The chalet is VERY dated and worn. We did notice that the smoke detectors were not working. Also, the light switches do not turn on the lights, you have to plug the dining room light in to turn on and unplug it to turn it off (probably a wiring issue that I believe could be deemed unsafe). That being said, we are very low maintenance and all adults so it suited our purposes. The dining room table is large enough for 10 people to sit around and the kitchen was functional enough for us to make breakfast. The location is perfect to walk to the Oasis Spa and the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank PAfoster

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The service was horrible and the beds in cabin #1 gave us all back aches in the morning (one of the beds was on a broken tilt) to name just a few of the amenities! When we asked for assistance due to a dead car battery we were told (after they complained that they were on break) that we can't tie up the phone line - even though I am pretty sure we were the only people staying there.
It is simply not worth the low cost.

Room Tip: "My tip is don't stay here"
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DMcDonell

Travelers are raving about these Ellicottville hotels

Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Location is great, within walking distance to the town, but that's about the only nice thing I can say about our stay. The inn looks great from the road (the plastic ferns - YUK! really look real from far away), but once you get to your room, you realize its like an old motel. The rooms are large, but 70's in style with absolutely no charm. This inn was rebuilt in 2001, just 11 years ago, yet is feels dated and old. Our bathroom was so dim, we could hardly see, the walls are very thin, you can hear your neighbor, even the room below was clear to hear at 2:30am when they returned to have a last drink before retiring. The staff seemed annoyed at our arrival and everything for me went downhill from there. Such a shame for such a lovely town.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank luxtravelAR
ROCHESTER
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Right from the first phone call, I should have known. Of three different calls, I got conflicting information about availability. Their reservation policy is archaic; they fax a credit card authorization form for signature, you sign it and fax it back. They charge the entire stay immediately and their cancellation policy is ridiculous. I had no other choice; my daughter had her heart set on skiing Holiday Valley during President's Day weekend and every other hotel in the area was booked so we took it. The room was dated, it looked like 1970's decor. The beds were hard as a rock and very uncomfortable. A nice little bonus was the huge brown puke stain on the carpet next to one of the beds, clearly showing how little this place cares about it's image or cleanliness. I still can't believe that was even there, it was just disgusting. Lastly, I'm not sure why they have a 10:00 am checkout when they have a 4:00 pm check-in. That makes no sense to me but it's kinda par for the course with the rest of their hospitality. I would not hesitate to spend $100 more per night for a room at one of the larger hotels. The old saying, "good things aren't cheap and cheap things aren't good" really rings true in this case. I don't consider this place cheap by any means, but compared to the better hotels in the area, it's definitely cheaper. You do get what you pay for, which is not much.

Room Tip: I would find it hard to believe that this dump has a good room anywhere.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris S
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the Edelweiss. Our room in the "brownstone" was passable at best. Two chairs in the room were so disgustingly filthy, we chose not to place belongings on them. The shower was equally neglected, and we avoided it altogether. Worst of all, however, one member of our family awoke riddled with nasty bug bites. We counted 13 to be exact. When we told the manager that we had good reason to suspect they have a bed bug problem in one of the beds, and showed him the bites, he resisted. Actually, he claimed that there couldn't be any bed bugs because they had just had the exterminator in that room...again....recently, and the beds were new. A very suspicious defense, All I can say is, we arrived with no bug bites, spent the day bundled in winter clothing (i.e. no skin exposed), and awoke with obvious bites. Draw your own conclusions.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank A S
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We spent the weekend at the edelweiss lodge as part of a race weekend my son was participating in at the two awesome ski mountains in ellicotville. As a race parent, you are looking for lower priced accommodations. At the edelweiss, they have a annex behind the main lodge that was less than a room at the main lodge, so we took it. The location of the edelweiss lodge is so good that it almost made up for all the failings. You are right downtown, less than a mile from both mountains, and a short stroll to all the restaurants, bars and shops. This was a huge perk as parking downtown is impossible. But unfortunately, the lodge uses their location as a way to keep their prices high and their maintenance and amenities quite low.

The annex room itself as fine. Beds were comfortable and the room was clean. But the lack of upkeep of the room and the building itself was ridiculous. Lamp shades were cracked, the bathroom has probably not had a paint job in 30 years, and the fiberglass of the shower area was separated from the wall. Items that clearly say, "we really don't care a hoot about this annex, but we'll gladly take your money if you want to stay there".

Ammenities and service at the lodge as a whole were very poor. There was no shampoo or hair dryer in the room, so we had to walk downtown with wet hair in single-digit temps. The free breakfast included in your rate was pathetic. First, they do not open breakfast until 8am, so we couldn't even eat there, because my son had to be in the mountains by 7:45. They have big signs all over that say 'no takeout allowed' so they have no options for you to take some breakfast with you if you are on the run. Lastly, the bread, frozen bagels, three boring cereal options, were so unappetizing that you didn't want to take it with you anyway.

Bottom line: the owners of this lodge send the message that they are not Interested in hospitality, just in saving pennies and making money. The result is you feel unwelcomed and ripped off. They just don't get it, and it is a shame.

Room Tip: Stay in the main lodge.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ExperienceFLX
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2011

I have been staying at the Edelweiss for over 15 years. I was shocked to see a bad review. The rooms are clean and quaint ... great price ... free breakfast. I have stayed there in summer and winter. Bill ... the owner ... is just a wonderful person. I had booked a weekend there last year ... my son required emergency surgery on the day I was to arrive. I called Bill and he immediately told me not to worry, take care of your son ... rebook with me when you can ... he gave me a credit ... now that's service!!! There was absolutely no hesitation on his part. I can't say enough good things about the Edelweiss, Bill and his dedicated staff ... they are always friendly and ready to provide great service. I would highly recommend the Edelweiss when visiting Ellicottville ... Vickie

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms in the lodge ... very spacious
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Vickie K
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellicottville
Wingate by Wyndham Ellicottville
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Springville
The New Lantern Motel
The New Lantern Motel
#1 of 2 in Allegany

Been to Edelweiss Lodge? Share your experiences!