“It's going to be a Gem!”

Honor's Haven Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
Upstate NY
“It's going to be a Gem!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2009

I was at the hotel recently for a conference and a little relaxation. I was worried after reading some of these reviews about what I would find. Word of advice, don’t believe everything you read, you must go see for yourself. The staff was all wonderful, very prompt and helpful. Our room was clean and I thought the decor was fine. The only disappointment was, the property was under massive renovations, (which is very exciting), however, because of renovations, the amenities such as the sauna area were limited and was actually scheduled to be opened back up a day AFTER I had to check out. We had the chance to “peek at the area and WOW, it is really going to be fabulous when they are done, I was so tempted to stay the extra few days just to be able to get in there but I had to get back to the city to work. There were many areas that were under construction, a bit hard to navigate at times, but really nothing that was a trip spoiler. I understand they will all be done sometime in the fall. Having been to the area many times and seeing what the economy has done to many of the area hotels, its so exciting that there is finally going to be a place to go that’s fresh and new and so close to home. All in all it was a good stay and look forward to going back soon.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank NewbieNYC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Last weekend I attended the church retreat program in the honor’s haven resort. This is the first trial to have the event in the resort. Before going to the resort, I got a good feedbacks from my pastor and coordinator and Also the website was really good so i was very impressed but when I saw the bad feedbacks in Trip advisor, I have worried about the hotel. Anyway I had no choice to attend it. When I arrived at the hotel, my first impression is good. I never have seen the big & beautiful garden as like that and even if the front door was not finished yet (90% progress) hotel outside surroundings was good shape. A little inconvenience is I have to find the way to the front desk but that’s not a big issue. Food was really good and it gave us big satisfaction on each meal time. My room is clean and have the nice lakeview fortunately and the indoor swimming pool is luxuriously renovated. Serve is good. Everything is not bad. So I asked the dining manager named Juan (he is really nice guy) what’s happen last July? He said the hotel have hurried up the renovation schedule as like front door, the new pavement and gardening work to finish it before August 12 so it caused a lot of complaints of the guests last July but currently, everything is done, he is very proud of this hotel as No. 1 Catskill resort. We finally understood what happened last month and felt we are lucky to have the nice condition.
With the tight church schedule, I could not get the chance to go to Minewasoka & sam’s point preserve. Overally I was very happy (exceed my expectation) so next coming October, I will come with my family to see the fall foliage around the hotel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2009

My family spent 4th of July weekend with our church retreat. Due to the large number of attendees, additional rooms for our group were booked at the Honors Haven Resort. After checking into our room we found that the room was not very clean. After our first night I awoke to many large bites on by body. We looked through the blankets and sheets and discovered bugs. The bites were so bad that I ended up in the hospital. Our suspicions were confirmed that they were bed bugs after bringing a sample of the bugs with us to the hospital and getting confirmation from medical staff. When I arrived back at the hotel I asked to speak to the General Manager and asked to have our room changed. The General Manager was no where to be found and could obviously care less about his guests and it took hours to resolve the room change. Each manager blamed the other manager for the delay. This is the most unprofessionally run hotel I have ever stayed in. It is obvious that they are simply are sleeping room factory NOT a hospitality resort. When the weekend was over I heard from people in 4 other rooms from our group that they also had bed bugs. I understand that these things happen, but the management response was absolutely ridiculous. I will make sure next year that I am not on the Honors Haven list!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank 72692
asweetser1, management representative at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 11, 2009
Dear valued guest,

I want to assure you that his matter is being taken very seriously by the Ownership of the Honors Haven Resort & Spa." Our guests, past and future, should not be concerned as there is no serious bed bug problem at The Honor’s Haven.

In response to the incident in question, The operations manager, whom met with you is a representative of the General Manager, and is fully trained to handle these types of situation. The first step is too unsure the guests comfort. He acknowledged that you had discomfort and referred you to the nearest medical facility for further evaluation. We took fully responsibility of the situation and we offered to pay any medical expenses that you incurred as a result. We are fully aware as hoteliers that there is a serious bedbug problem around the United States and would never be insensitive to any claims. I need to state on our behalf, that we never received any further claims as indicated in your review.

After you were moved to different accommodations, the room was then immediately taken out of inventory as well as the surrounding rooms as a precaution. It was not until it was confirmed by our pest Control Company that the guestrooms were free from all pests and insects that it was returned to usable status. We host countless guests, consistently providing exemplary service and comfort and take every step possible to ensure this is never compromised. I can confidently and honestly assure you that our rooms are regularly inspected by our staff in addition to the routine monthly maintenance performed by a licensed exterminator in addition bringing in bed bug dogs as an added precaution. We recognize this as being a world wide problem and believe in being proactive.

Ownership of the Honor’s Haven Hotel is firmly committed to guest satisfaction and our guest’s experience during their stay. I do apologize if you felt as though you were not important to us. It is highly unusual for our staff to act anything less then professional, and ownership would never tolerate the suggested actions allegedly performed by our team members. We pride ourselves on customer service excellence, and demand nothing less. Our objective here is very clear, to respond accordingly to all situations that arise big or small. There are no exceptions to this objective. Full staff evaluations are constantly being conducted as well as continuous education and training for the management team and staff.

We are putting a lot of personal time and energy renovating this hotel and take alot of pride in our property. Anytime a guest is not satisfied for any reason it becomes a top concern for all of us, as guest satisfaction will always be our number one priority.

You are very important to us, please contact us with any further questions of concerns and please allow us another opportunity to serve you.

Travelers are raving about these Ellenville hotels

MD
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2009

Stay away from Honor's Haven. This "resort " is a total sham. Renovations will not change this dirty, smelly property. Our "up-graded" room overlooked the construction site dump.Food is hospital quality at best. The staff failed to mention at the time of booking we would be sharing our breakfast table with others. We were deceived by reservations and their website. We were told there was much to do on their property. The promised trails were non-existant with the exception of a short walk to some falls.Run, do not walk, away from Honor's Haven.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank kks16
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor. We take all of our reviews very seriously.

The ownership of the Honor’s Haven Hotel is firmly committed to guest satisfaction and our guest’s experience during their stay. We have passed your comments onto the appropriate departments and will take the steps necessary to improve in those areas.

We are putting a lot of personal time and energy into renovating this hotel and take alot of pride in our property. Anytime a guest is not satisfied for any reason it becomes a top concern for all of us, as guest satisfaction will always be our number one priority.

Seaford
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2009

My wife and I booked a 2 night stay to get away and relax. This hotel was once called the Fallsview and is located next to a huge property that is now vacant that was the Nevele hotel. The location is very nice. Great views all around. Honors Haven is still under a huge amount of piecemeal construction. There seems to be no end in sight. We stayed in a new room that was recently done over. It was very nice ,with a beautiful view of a lake. The structure is huge, and hard to navigate. You quickly go from new to old in the same hallway. The construction seems so unorganized, that you can imagine no end in sight. The new ceilings are already water stained from a possible bad roof. No gutters, and partially finished facades. This may be a great looking place in the future. The food was Ok. It is buffet service, and you have to sit with other people. People that look as confused as you feel. The flys in the dining area really bothered me. The windows did not open in this huge dining area. Where were they breeding? The only thing that was great about this place was the staff. They tried really hard. They were very pleasant and helpfull. We took a yoga class and a short hike to the falls. Very Nice! I saw no spa. Just workers placing tile everywhere. This hotel should have been gutted and redone all at once. With no guests allowed ! As you walk the hallways you go from 2009 to 1950 back to 2009 all on one floor.
I would not go back for now. However, I might try it out a year or two from now. I need to follow the progress on this website. I would advise people to stay away for now.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ckr11563
Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

My husband's company opted to hold their summer picnic at Honor's Haven and we decided to book a room and have a small weekend get-a-way. Check-in was quite challenging, as the reception staff seemed to be having a lot of issues with rooms for guests associated with Camp Shane. I waited on line for a long time. However, once I reached the desk I was greeted by a friendly staff member and my own check-in proceeded smoothly.

The room was disappointing. Although it was quite large (lots of closet space and shelves would make this a great long term room) and clean the room was very dated (1980-ish) and I couldn't get the windows to close. It was hot in the room and hot outside. The air-conditioner was not totally effective. The "resort" tag and the pictures on the web site had led to me expect more luxurious accommodations.

I had pre-booked a massage in the Wellness Center. Again, based on the language and imagery of the website I was expecting an actual spa experience. Instead, I was taken to a hotel room with two massage tables instead of regular furniture. The massage was excellent (the highlight of my stay) BUT pricey given the absence of spa amenities.

I was not aware that meals were served buffet style. My husband and I got dressed up and were absolutely horrified when we realized that this was our only dining option at the resort. We were able to remove the meal plan charges from our reservation without any trouble and the friendly staff member at the desk recommended a restaurant about 15 - 20 minutes away. I think couples looking for a romantic weekend should be aware that dining at the hotel may not be a good idea, unless you enjoy a buffet. I really believe that is this hotel wants couples to come for the weekend they need to offer some alternative dining options.

I don't think this is a terrible place to stay but it is not, in my opinion, truly a "Resort & Spa." Perhaps someday in the future, post-renovation, this title will be more accurate. Right now I would say it is a hotel with some amenities but definitely not anything to write home about.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2009

Bed was hard, breakfast was inedible, hotel was unnavigable and under construction, and we were forced to sit at a table we didn't want to sit at just so they wouldn't have to reset the other table. We bought a package that was supposed to include shuttle service to the Bethel Woods concert venue, but when we arrived they told us that "no one had signed up for the shuttle," and therefore they hadn't procured one. No one, however, told us that we were supposed to sign up for the shuttle -- it was supposed to be included. Terrible place.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank amandafrench
asweetser1, manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 21, 2009
habitrailgirl,

I am sorry you did not have an enjoyable stay at Honor's Haven. I apologize for the confusion regarding the transportation to the Bethel Woods Concert. Our package does offer to arrange transportation to the event, however, when there are only two participants taking the shuttle the cost is prohibitive. We did not procure the transportation for that reason. We have modified how we are handling the packages in the future and our staff will be asking the guests if they are interested in transportation to Bethel Woods at the time of the reservation.

Our hotel is under renovations as you mention. The renovations are scheduled to be completed by the end of August. We do post the renovations on our website to inform
guests of the status and our reservations staff also mentions them at the time of the reservation.

We hope you come back to Honor's Haven after the renovations are completed to see the final result.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
Minnewaska Lodge
BEST WESTERN Monticello
BEST WESTERN Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
HOME2 Suites by Hilton Middletown

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!