“Are you kidding?” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
Seattle
“Are you kidding?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2008

This place is just a place to lay your head, at this point motel NOT a resort let alone a spa, a room with a pillow(however you really should bring your own). I cannot believe this hotel is even getting any buisness. To begin with when you call the hotel you can NEVER, NEVER,NEVER,EVER get anyone on the phone, It just keeps ringing and ringing, noone ever answers it, THAT should be the first indication that this hotel is totally not ready for buisness. But stupid me kept trying to call because I was with a group and really wanted to be with them. I want you to know that I tried to call and book 22 times before I finally got someone to answer. Be careful what you wish for I guess, when I finally got someone to answer the phone they knew NOTHING about the hotel. I finally had to ask the question " are you even on the premises?" Have you ever been to the Honor's Haven resort and spa? So after all of that I got the room booked and stupidly asked if they had a websit I could look at, she did not even know the site. Ok nevermind I'll find it. So I go to the site and WOW, nice... I get to the hotel, looks ok, not bad, gorgeous to say the least, so much to do, so much fun, lets go now!!. We head out drive for hours to get there,got lost (Can't get there with GPS, adress does not exist, another red light!) we get inside, BURSTING WITH UNPROFESSIONALISM. I have never seen such a zoo trying to check in. Weren't you expecting us I thought? people everywhere, noone to help wiith your luggage, finally a security guards comes to help, (but now whos going to help him?) so one at a time he comes and gets us, one by one, I really hope the man makes a decent living because he seems to do EVERYTHING!! Now on to the room. Not to bad after we finally were able to get the door open., clean but nothing fancy very BLAHH. OH WAIT!! Go to use the bathroom and their were actually wet towels thrown all over and the tub had hair in it. Call housekeeping and the lady said they we werent suppose to be checked in the room yet,, I call the front desk and they tell me (when they finally answered the darn phone, nothing changes there even when you get to the hotel, those people really dont like the phones) that we were suppose to wait,the room was not ready, not time to check in. (ok so then why did you give me the key and why did the secuity guard take me up?)
Well, at least we are here lets make the best of it give housekeeping a chance to redeem themselves and finish cleaning the room, so lets head to the bar for a drink and relax a bit NOT!! Not open,,, okkkk, how about a cup of coffee and a snack? NOT!! Not open.. starving? to bad!UGHHHH. Traveled long way and nothing to eat or drink(can't even get a bottle of water). Lets go to the desk and see.. what now? Gift shop AHHH OK!! NOT.. NOT OPENED!! How are you going to open a hotel, take my money and have NOTHING OPEN.. ok soooo now what. pool. closed, sauna, closed, boats ( nasty, old and dirty, anyway, BUT a beautiful lake with a filthy dock) closed, Nothing to do, nothing here, nothing at all. Again, we ask the question, what is there to do we ask a man who does not speak good english, not sure he understood us, he was carrying a pail and some rags or something, (hopefully he was our hero who was heading up to our room to get the hair out of the tub) in the hallway, He tells us wait here and never returns! Ok then, so I guess we will just find a corner to collaps in to see what happens next, we need to conserve energy as dinner was a long way off with no food in site. It was ok once we got with our group and things started happening within the group. Ok DINNER TIME YEAH!!!! WOO HOO!! everyone runs to the buffet all at once, like a heard of cattle,every man for themselves, like they havent eaten (um oh wait they probably havent), and we all stuff ourselves no telling when we will see food again, early dinner and breakfast is along way off!! My friend and I were smart though, we hid some bread(that we shamefully almost killed a few people for) in our bags to sneak up to our rooms.
OK, ok so here it is, the bottom line is, this can be an ok place, has lots of potential, if things were up and running,everything is closed and not dead. If they would just answer the phone when it rings, get some new boats, maybe open the bar, sell some food, open the pool, offer a massage or two ( we did ask at the desk about that and they said that it may be possible but they need to call the massuse and see when she can be available to come to the hotel if at all), something. With the price of gas and all its a HUGE disapointment to drive such a long way only to sit around and do nothing. It's better to just stay home, at least you can eat when you want! But the way it is right now, There is nothing to do, nothing to eat and nothing to drink, this is NOT a resort NOT a spa, trust me, no place to take your family or friends. nothing inclusive at all about this place. it is more like a middle grade motel. I saw somewhere in someone elses review there was a childrens day camp so you can go relax in the bar, WHAT A LIE!! and if there were I MYSELF WOULD HAVE ENROLLED IN IT just for something to keep me busy until our group got going)
And I read nightly entertainment?YEAH RIGHT!! (we sat and watched an ant crawl around on the floor if you call that entertainment!)
AND if all of this does not tell you anything then check out the reviews for the Nevele Grande the hotel right next door to the hotel, ( we walked over there trying to find food unsucessfully of course, and the Honor's Haven does smell better and is cleaner and is renovating, but same story nothing to do their either) they used to be one property at one time and that will tell you all you need to know.(they have a great website also)

• Liked — That it has potential to grow into something great
  • Disliked — Very boring nothing open, nothing to do. Cannot even get food or drinks..
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
9 Thank sleeplesssinseattle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Hudson Valley, New Yrok
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2008

Some of these reviews are way off. This is a very nice hotel. It is not a 4 or 5 star hotel but for the catskill area this is the nicest one. I stayed at some of the other resorts in the area and this is the only one that seems to be putting money into renovations. When I was there they were finishing up the renovations to the front gate and to one of the meeting rooms. However, the rest of the hotel was in great shape. My room was definately renovated recently and was clean and quite large. The food in the dining room was way above average. I stayed for a small conference during the Memorial Day Weekend and there were plenty of activities to do and the fitness area was very nice. I even took a walk to the waterfalls one morning which was very invigorating. The spa services were limited, but I was told when I was there, that they are beginning to add more of them. They even mentioned things like yoga and tai chi classes were going to be offered. I will definitely go back.

• Liked — food and views
  • Disliked — Still doing work to the hotel
  • Stayed May 2008
1 Thank Hudson69
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2008

This was basically false advertising.
When I booked the room the person I talked to led me to believe that my two friends and I could pick up a schedule of activities at the desk when we checked in. He said he had nothing to send out ahead of time either by email or regular mail. The price we were charged per person included meals and any activities we might choose to attend.
We came anticipating a day of relaxing activities based on what the website advertised: spa amenities; workshops on stress reduction; yoga and tai chi classes. NONE of this was available.
In fact, the place was essentially closed—in between the bookings of some larger events. Lights were turned off in large parts of the hotel; large fans were drying shampooed carpets in the lobby; the spa/salon was locked & dark; the pool was locked. We saw only 4 or 5 other guests & very few staff beyond a few managers.
The first room we looked at faced the parking lot. We asked for a room that at least faced the lawn & lake. Although not many people were booked in the hotel for the night we were there and we did technically have a view of “green,” we still had more of a view of maintenance equipment. Neither of the rooms we saw had a coffee maker which would have been welcome since nowhere else in the hotel could we find beverages other than at meal times.
The man at the desk was pleasant and did his best to help us, but he had no authority beyond changing our room. We talked to Roxanna who could offer no “educational” services until she talked to her manager. After we had been at the hotel several hours, she did offer us a tai chi opportunity for the next morning, but we realized later that the management was only taking advantage of a Tai Chi group that was coming in early for a convention. It would not be a hotel scheduled class. We were not looking for that kind of experience.
Since nothing was going on at the hotel, we chose not to eat our dinner there; therefore, we went to the front desk to ask for a refund of our money. We waited quite awhile for someone to come from the back room to the desk. We did finally receive a reduction in our charges from per person to just one room plus tax & gratuity.
Bottom line, we felt the hotel was not prepared to have guests on the level advertised on the website. We received the polite run-around by several management staffers. For the price we paid, even for the one room, we could have had better accommodations at a chain like Holiday Inn or Marriott.
The hotel motto is “where your presence is exalted.” I certainly did NOT feel like my presence was exalted.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — no activities as promised
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank blossomNY

Travelers are raving about these Ellenville hotels

Sherrill
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2008

If you have seen this "awesome" web site, you may believe it is accurate! NOT! I traveled here to celebrate my best friend's recent retirement...a perfect "girl's get-away...right? Three of us traveled 3 1/2 hours to get here...and then thought we were at the wrong place when we saw the hotel. What a major disappointment! Everything is "tired"..."old"....dirty and worn out. Even the parking lot was falling apart...tons of renovations being done. We walked into an empty lobby filled with wet carpets and huge blowing fans. Evidently, the day we booked was a "down" day in between major conventions and this was cleaning day.

We called the day before our arrival to make sure everything was still set for our arrival and were never told the place would be very close to closed. We chose this site for its health and wellness programs and facility offerings. We learned quickly after we arrived that no programs were available during our stay. I'm thinking this reaks of false advertising.

. No people were around. No sauna....no massages...nothing. The lights were off in most of the facility...and we wasted most of our time waiting for service or at least someone to whom we could talk . We saw people in another room behind the desk...but our wait increased until finally someone came out. We even rang the "service bell" again and again. Terrible!

We saw few people walking around the facility who remotely looked like visitors. It was rather creepy.

We decided to not eat at this facility...frankly we didn't want to risk it. Finally, we found someone who could listen to our complaints. Never did she ask, "And what can I do to make things better?" So...we wanted our money back for the cost of meals and programs. We were charged for our room...we shouldn't have had to even pay for that. Not a pleasant experience. A word to the wise....save your time and money...go elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with friends
4 Thank mjbSherrill
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2008

This hotel was the worst, the website was so beautiful, we were expecting so much we were so excited. a getaway for relaxation,recreation and empowement(( HAHAHAHA YEAH RIGHT!) they were offering many signature programs energy yoga, accupressure facelifts, stress reduction, romantic revivals for couples, simply paradise!! We expected a full schedule to classes and lectures and fun that we can do when inbetween our group stuff, We pull up to the place after traveling forever, the front is all ripped apart,( thats ok renovations understandable) The parking lot ....forget about that!!! we get to the front desk and there,the man behind the desk, was very nice except he just gave us our key card and didn't even tell us where our room was. I guess he assumed we worked there or something and should know everything. We got onto the elevator that was old and dirty and the door shut on us in 2 sec., it hurt. Then we get up to room And It was sweltering hot in our room. While the rooms appear nice, there were stains on the carpet, hair in the tub and the bed was all unstraightened.. We called for more towels to the front desk, they never came. I called housekeeping and a woman with bad english told us that they were very busy, understaffed and would get to them when she could.So we found a maid in the hallway GREAT, only she could not speak english!
We were with a group and there were things going on in the confrence room. SO we head down there to catch up with everyone.. The room looked so bad, white sheet places uncaringly on the tables and not enough chairs. Not so much as water on the table. We saw a guy in the hallway and he attempted to call conventions as he called it and noone showed to help us, finally we were told that conventions was gone for the day. There was a guy from IT who was very helpful and polite, he worked very hard, went above and beyond to make sure we were happy and even helped us with convention needs.

Women, don't go to this hotel. This is "suppose" to be a spa hotel, so I know women will want to go, DON'T. When you think spa you think getting pampers services, fluffy robs, fuzzy slippers, massages, ( you can get one but thats only if the massuse is avalible to come to the hotel) facials, body wraps, body scrubs. get your hair done,manicures, pedicures, You know SPA SERVICES. The closest this place comes is a sauna and it didnt even work!! And lastly there is no real gym, its in the middle of the lower lobby!
Anything they do have that may have saved grace was never opened. You could not get a coffee or a drink after checking in to relax a bit from the long drive, and forget it if you missed a meal, there was NO place to even get a snack. The only little shop they did have was closed, everything CLOSED!
The food was good, the matre D' was the best, he may have been the highlight of our whole adventure.
Perhaps this little catskill gem will one day grow up to be a real resort and spa, it has so much potential and renovations are going on that look promising, but until then I WILL NOT BE GOING BACK AND I SUGGEST YOU SAVE YOUR MONEY ALSO, go ahead and check out their website and see what you wont be getting.

• Disliked — Nothing like the website
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank nevergoingbackever
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2008

I felt totally scammed. I found their website and thought what a beautiful, tranquil spa resort in the mountains of NY. It has so much to offer us based on their website. When we pulled up in front i said to my boyfriend, are we at the wrong hotel? It looks nothing like the picture. Honor's haven doesn't show the front of this apartment looking complex on the website at all. We walked in and there was just chaos. 3 conventions were going on, children running everywhere. When i booked it only 2-3 weeks prior, no one mentioned that there would be conventions at the resort. I was quoted a different price then was on my contract and they immediately corrected it. Our room had a broken window that was kept together with duct tape, my view was of a parking lot w/the dumpster visible, they didn't mention it would be 2 double beds when I booked 1 kind bed, stains on the carpet & bed spread, and the a/c didn't even turn on. I could hear the kids running up and down the hall and above us and squeaking of the floors. I asked for another room. They didn't question me and immediately put us into an upgraded room. We walked around the property, found the lake, pool, workout room, lobby, all which was filled with kids. Also the pool hours are very limited. I don't mind having children but when you book a resort with the name "spa" in it, you usually don't expect to see hundred of kids everywhere. They definitely should've told me that there 3 conventions were attending as well. On their behalf, the staff was very accommodating at the front desk and at the bar/restaurants. But this place literally is NOT what you would expect from the website. It's not new and updated as the website shows and I felt like i was back in the 70's. It was definitely accommodating to families for that weekend not singles or couples for a romantic getaway. We only stayed one nite but i would NOT return or tell any of my friends to go there either. Such a shame!

• Liked — Accommodating and Friendly Staff
  • Disliked — Overall curb appeal, unattractive
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
4 Thank funblondieeNY
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
Minnewaska Lodge
BEST WESTERN Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!