“Fun Weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ellenville
new york
“Fun Weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed there for weekend. Lovely room,beautiful view, very friendly staff. Complimentary shuttle to Bethel Woods was very nice.Large outdoor pool, beautiful grounds. Buffet breakfast was nice, buffet dinner a little overpriced but tasty.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
We were pleased to hear that your stay with us, on the Bethel Woods Package, was a pleasant one. We enjoy being able to provide our guests with a relaxing concert experience in a beautiful setting. We appreciate your kind remarks with respect to our facilities, services, staff and grounds and look forward to the opportunity of serving you again in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2013

I really enjoyed the beauty and comfort of my room during my stay despite the torn window screens that prevented me from opening the windows for fresh air. I considered the abandoned hotel next door a small blur on an otherwise spectacular view of the mountains at sunrise and sunset. A great fence,flowers, trees or shrubs should be used to detract from the view of the empty spa next door.
The quantity, quality and variety of food in the dinning hall was superb. I really found some great bargains and nice selections of inexpensive gifts in the gift shop. The room was very clean, comfortable and I enjoyed peaceful nights sleep in my room on the first night and the staff was outstanding.
The only drawback was that I could not use the indoor pool, outdoor pool or jacuzzi the entire weekend because there were at least 5 different high schools staying their the same weekend and every inch of the property was totally overrun with hundreds of screaming teens. I stayed in the West wing which was quiet in my room but once i came over to the East wing where all of the facilities were located. I was swarmed by hundreds of loud teens everywhere. During our meetings the teens frequently peeked into our meeting hall looking for more places to hang out. On my last night at around 2:30 am in the morning I was awakened by several teens running and screaming at the top of their lungs in the parking lot beneath my window in the west wing. Where was the hotel security?
I think the hotel should create standards of behavior for large school groups and limit the hours at the pool and dinning rooms have to endure hordes of kids so that older adults, business groups and others may enjoy conversations, serve themselves at the buffet without having to endure the offensive crude, extremely loud and obnoxious language and behavior of the hordes of teenagers staying at the hotel for senior trips. The Dining room experience was horrendous teems screamed, yelled and cheered at the top of their lungs for random events throughout every meal everyday. They swarmed the buffet tables and pushed and shoved pushed past older guest who arrived first at the buffet serving area. They had no consideration for the other guest and at no time did I see or hear the hotel staff or school chaperones addressed the teens outrageous behavior the entire weekend I was there. The presence of way to many kids made what could have been a wonderful experience somewhat of a nightmare to me. I was limited to my room for the and my conference activities for the weekend. Some of my group went on a scenic trip to get away and the same large hordes of teen guest were on the trip as well making it intolerable for other guest.
The facility needs to work with the schools to provide more structure and activities for the teens away from other guest for periods of time throughout each day especially meal periods, pool, spa, horseback riding, tennis etc. so that all guest have access to all of the facilities and the peace, quiet and rest that one goes to a Spa Hotel for in the first place. I was terribly disappointed that I could not get a manicure or pedicure along with a spa treatment.
Both the jacuzzi and pool was beyond capacity with out of control kids the entire length of my stay. I should complained to management and sougth a complementary night just to come back and use the amenities because the schools took over every facility that I was not able to enjoy not one single activity that I should have been able to enjoy as part of my stay. I'm not sure if teens are there all year round our just in May and June for senior trips.

Room Tip: West wing rooms away from the high school groups are quiet. When booking avoid May and June when mos...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank G H
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We were pleased by your positive evaluation of our food, gift shop, lodging rooms and staff. I was however, troubled to hear that the student group that was visiting during the same time frame did not display the appropriate manners expected. I can assure you that your experience was atypical. Nonetheless, I have articulated your concerns and suggestions with all pertinent departments as well as the tour operator. We hope that this experience does not discourage you from visiting with us again.

Travelers are raving about these Ellenville hotels

Warrington, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Stayed there Memorial weekend. Great, peaceful and lots to do. The weather was horrible on Saturday, yet there was plenty to do. Complimentary shuttle to Monticello was fun. Rooms are clean and the one I stayed in was nicely removated and beds were really comfy. Definitely a great place to stay if you want to get away into the mountains.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
It sounds like you had a wonderful stay, despite the weather. Our goal is to create an enjoyable experience for all of our guests, even when Mother Nature throws us a curve ball. We are quite fortunate to be surrounded by so many enjoyable activities like the Monticello Casino and Raceway and hope you have the opportunity to visit us again soon.
Asheville, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been to this hotel before and usually the experience was pleasant but this time it was terrible. The location is on a very pretty small lake overlooking the mountains. However the hotel caters to various large group especially very, very large church groups. Especially it caters to Korean congregations because it is a Korean run hotel. Memorial Day weekend the hotel was filled with hundreds of Korean children unsupervised except for a few barely older siblings. The spa facility is available to all guests.

As we entered the door to the spa we heard an ugly cacophony of small children screaming at the top of their lungs. We got to the pool horrified to see about fifty small children all in the pool screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs. There were NO adults in sight except for one frazzled young woman life guard who looked totally overwhelmed. Kids were jumping into the pool from all sides of the pool. They were bumping into and hitting each other as they jumped in. There were no towels left. I had to ask guard to radio for towels. The kids were using five and six at a time. I gave up on the pool and went to the hot tub where it clearly states "no children under 18 allowed"and the hot tub was jammed with tiny ones, some in flotation devices. They paid no attention to me asking those under 18 to remove themselves.

I complained to the spa manager who did little to correct the situation. I brought it do the hotel manager's attention who still has not responded to my concerns. Worst was the night when the young kids ran back and forth throughout the corridors all night unsupervised and screaming their lungs out. One mother with a very young infant put the baby in the buggy and left their wing to wheel the screaming baby back and forth on my hotel corridor because it was keeping up family on her hotel corridor.

The room was simple, and unattractive, usually our room is bigger and has a refrigerator. This room did not. The pillows were uncomfortable.

I cannot in good conscious recommend this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AmeliaNYCarea
We were very sorry to hear that your experience with us was not up to your expectations. The Memorial Day Weekend has always been a particularly popular time frame for family retreats. We strive to provide each our guests with exemplary service and sincerely apologize for your experience. Your comments have been passed along to the appropriate departments for the attention they deserve and we hope to have the opportunity to win your business back in the future.
Tobyhanna, PA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

I visited this resort for a Stardust Dance Weekend. It was my first, and it certainly won't be my last dance weekend getaway. I'm looking forward to trying out the 9 hole golf course, outdoor pool area, and hiking trails when the weather is warmer. The indoor pool and spa areas are very nice, and the lobby and dining hall have been restored and furnished in a mid-century modern style that's very much in sync with the overall architecture. The rooms are immaculate and updated, but not pretentiously so. Staff at the resort is helpful and friendly, from the guard at the front gate to the front-desk staff, wait staff, and custodial staff.

The food was memorable. The chef and kitchen staff are to be commended on how well they prepared and served a generous selection to several hundred people for three meals daily. I especially enjoyed the homemade bean soups. As someone who does not eat meat, I was never at a loss for vegetarian and fish options -- all of which were delicious. I gained a few pounds, even with all of the physical activity.

The lovely gift shop offers very reasonably priced, quality items. I purchased a beautiful "Eyes of Buddha" statue that now lives on my fireplace mantle, where it reminds me of the great time I had in April 2013....and how much I'm looking forward to the next weekend retreat at Honors Haven.

As others have mentioned, the area is quite depressed, with many businesses closed. There is a wonderful pizza restaurant in the ShopRite plaza on 209, which I was fortunate to find when I arrived early on Thursday afternoon. Most of the other restaurants on Route 209 appeared to be permanently closed. I hope that this beautiful section of the Catskills can recover economically someday.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Lori_Pocono
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. We take great pride not only in the many renovations that have been and continue to be made to this iconic Catskill property, but also in our team of industry professionals, making Honor’s Haven the ideal location for all types of social events. We look forward to welcoming you back during the summer months so you can partake in all of our outdoor amenities.
va
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

The room, the food (included), the amenities, the service were "good enough"....maybe even better than "good enough". There were large groups of teenagers there along with some parents and some yoga practitioners, so I was expecting that the nights would be very loud. I was wrong..beds were fine and the hallways were quiet. The 9 hole golf course at the hotel looked inviting.

During my daily tours of the nearby town of Ellenville, I searched for things to do. There was a church around in nearby town but I could never find it. Instead I found Cohen's Bakery in downtown Ellenville. It was hard to leave; they had everything at very reasonable prices...coffee was good too. A gem in the Hudson River Valley

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SpringfieldBill
Managemnt, Manager at Honor's Haven Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for choosing Honor’s Haven Resort & Spa for your recent trip. We were so pleased to hear that you found our facilities and services agreeable. It always makes us happy when our guests explore the surrounding area, finding that quintessential business that makes this charming hamlet what it is; a hidden gem of the Hudson River Valley. We appreciate your review and look forward to the opportunity to serve you and your wife again soon.
Watchung, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a Dance Weekend and were very happy with the food and the accomodations. It is an older resort that has been renovated in varying degrees. You can see that a lot of money went into renovating the lobby and the rooms were nicely upgraded. The staff was very friendly and accomodating, particulary the wait staff.

It is an ideal location for the type of event we attended. The rooms were clean and reasonably priced, the food was very good and the facilities accomodated multiple dance events going on at once. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jwolinsky
Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellenville
Minnewaska Lodge
BEST WESTERN Monticello
#1 of 3 in Monticello
Hudson Valley Resort and Spa
Buttermilk Falls Inn & Spa

Been to Honor's Haven Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!