“Excellent service”

Hilton Garden Inn Syracuse
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed April 28, 2011

My son and I stayed one night last week when we were in town to tour Syracuse University. I booked this particular room using Visa Scorecard points. I thought I had booked a 1-bedroom suite but I in fact booked a jr. suite which has a half wall between the bedroom and the living room. I asked at the front desk if there was was any chance I could get a true 1-bedroom and they moved me right away with no additional charge. The next day, as we were leaving the University I had a message from the front desk. My son had left his cell phone charger behind, which we hadn't even realized yet. They offered to mail it to our house but we stopped by on our way out of town to get it. We stayed at four different Hiltons (Homewood Suites, Hampton Inn, Doubletree, Hilton Garden) last week on our college tour and this was our favorite room and staff.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank clf27

Reviewed March 30, 2011

Several turns away off Carrier Circle, a confusing exit for sure, the Hilton Garden Inn is perfect for a stop-off if you're traveling with kids because they have reasonable AAA rates, flat screen LCD TVs, newish facility, a pool, and two queen beds. It's worth the extra drive away from the circle's immediate vicinity. Rooms come with coffee maker, empty fridge and small microwave.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 9, 2011

We attended the New Years Eve party and thought the food was great, the room was very nice, and the staff was great also. It was definitely worth it and we would do it again.

• Stayed: December 2010
1  Thank beachgirl30NewYork
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I stayed here during the snowstorm over the last week (43.2 inches of snow). Having spent more time than i normally do inside the hotel for food, i found the wait staff in the bar to be unable to keep up with the demand of food and drink orders. The first night was expected after the snow just started. Service was slow, there was only one person working, and food took forever to get. Later in the week, the snow was still falling, but there was more staff in the bar, and it still took forever to get service and my order.

Back on topic of the hotel, i normally stay at the Doubletree, but there wasn't availability for the rate i use, so i stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn. My most important criteria is the fitness room. This hotel gets 1/2 a star for fitness. They had 2 treadmills, an eliptical machine, bike, and some multi function workout equipment. All of the equipment was out of date and not working correctly. The heart rate monitors didn't work on the tread mills. One of the tread mills broke later in the week. No free weights. Over all, a pretty lousy workout room.

The rooms however were fine. Very comfortable, the TV's actually have a real cable box for usage. And they get channels in HD. The staff were friendly. It would have been nice if snow was removed later in the evening from the side walks. Although they did have a shovel outside available for us to use to get our own cars out of the parking spots.

Overall, the hotel was a good stay. If you just play to spend a little time in the room, and don't plan to live in the hotel for your stay, it is a good choice.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed November 26, 2010

I am a Hilton fan and have been for several years, so much so that I have reached Diamond status this year.  I prefer to stay in Hilton Garden Inns, as they offer the most amenities and are usually uniformly well-run.  Therefore, I feel I can made a judgment call on the Syracuse Hilton Garden Inn, and that judgment is that this property is marginal at best.

There are certain things one takes for granted at a Hilton -- there are extra touches to make a guest comfortable; things are in good repair; the food is fresh.  Unfortunately, this Hilton property was lacking in all three.

I will acknowledge that I came in on Thanksgiving night, and was one of only ten occupied rooms, so the fact that there was no food service was to be expected.  However, when I went down to the Pavilion Pantry, their 24-hour snack and fast meal area, the only packaged-fresh food to be had was three days old.  The salad was brown and wilted, and the sandwich was stale and questionable in terms of food safety.  The fact that they had been ignored for three days running had me concerned about the general quality of the food in the kitchen/restaurant.

When I got to my room, I found the sink had a five inch crack in it, and while it did not seem to leak, it immediately had me questioning the rest of the room repair.  The heater also rattled quite a bit.  I asked for the maintenance fellow to come and view both, as I especially did not want to be held responsible for the cracked sink.  I was moved to the room next door (which had a chair, rather than the sofa bed that I had requested and had in my original room assignment).  The heater was somewhat quieter, and the sink was not cracked.

The quilts here are thin, and as the room was cool and I am conscientious about not using the heater if an extra blanket will do, I went to the closet and found -- nothing.  When I went downstairs and asked about it, they said that a room without a sofa bed does not have an extra blanket(!) but they would get me one -- and I was handed a thin, poor affair, made of second-quality acrylic that had seen better days and would be more suited to show up at a Red Roof or Super 8 rather than a Hilton property.

If you look at my other reviews, you will see that I give credit where credit is due, and acknowledge when staff goes out of their way to help out a weary traveler.  While the staff members here were polite, there was nothing special to recommend their service, and there was no acknowledgement that the series of problems I'd run into was anything out of the ordinary.

There are several other Hilton properties in the area, and I would recommend that you explore them rather than come to this one. This one falls well below the acceptable mark.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank Traveling_Psychic
Reviewed October 28, 2010

I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn Syracuse on Sunday, October 24, 2010 for a Business trip. Excellent hotel in this class (3 star). It was very clean and the staff was very friendly.

I arrived at 6:30 PM. I did not realize that it is an industrial/office park area. The route my GPS took me to the location did not drive me by any restaurants. I ate at the hotel. Food was average, not great or bad. The room was very clean. The staff was VERY friendly and offered a free cookie at the front desk. Breakfast is not included, but is reasonable (probably not for Syracuse rates). Overall I was very pleased with my stay for a business trip. I would stay there again... probably will...

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We recently did some cross border shopping and chose the Hilton for the name and were offered a free breakfast. As a family of five with two teenagers, we always look for quality and a breakfast included. We expected quality with the Hilton name but what totally took us by surprise was the 5 star service. We immediately ordered a cot, which we normally do upon arrival, and were surprised that we all barely made it to the washroom prior to leaving for supper when it had arrived. That's a first! Beds were spotless, clean pillows, etc. but we have come to expect that at the Hilton group of hotels. I think what took us all by surprise was the service. Even my teenagers commented on the service! At breakfast, we were always greeted with smiles and by the second morning, the girl remembered our names when we placed our order! Wow! Breakfast was extremely good and it goes beyond the normal deluxe breakfast with "made to order" breakfast. They offered french toast, eggs any style, bacon, sausages, etc. and waffles, omellettes and hot oatmeal too. With a family of five, and two mornings, we managed to try almost everything on the menu. Waffles are extremely large and satisfying, omellettes are just the right size and have plenty offerings to put inside. A large bowl of oatmeal was offered and enjoyed to the last spoonful. Also, there are the usual toast, bagels, danish, yogurt, cereal, juices, coffee, tea etc. but one duly noted comment was that the fruit was actually fresh fruit and not just the odd melon cut up to accompany the canned fruit. The hotel is a little off the main route of the normal selection of hotels for Canadian shoppers, but I would return to this hotel again on our next shopping trip. The only complaint I heard all weekend was that we missed the cookies at check-in. They are only offered at the 3pm check-in and we arrived around 6pm. Our teenage son really enjoyed his showers as well thanks to the vibrating showerhead and has put one on his Christmas list. We didn't use the pool or the fitness room, but passed by both and the pool and hot tub were of normal size. The fitness room offered the normal equipment and was a good size. For any Canadian Shoppers out there, we found the Superstore of Marshalls on Genesse Street and would recommend a stop there. In the same mall is a Target, Michaels, Bed Bath and Beyond as well.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
CrestHill Suites Syracuse
CrestHill Suites Syracuse
#5 of 19 in East Syracuse
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse Erie Blvd/I-690

Been to Hilton Garden Inn Syracuse? Share your experiences!