“Hits and Misses...the room is a hit, the details a miss.”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Warnerville NY
“Hits and Misses...the room is a hit, the details a miss.”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

i had not stayed at the Doubletree for a while and was looking forward to returning. While the hotel has gone through a makeover to its credit, the service has slipped since my last review in 2009.

First though, kudos where they are due... manager-for-the-day Jillian Ossoovert was instantly available, did her level best to fix what she could, and commiserate when she couldn't. She went a very long way towards bringing up the review's rating by her attitude which was clearly: the guest is First Priority. Also, the parking lot was cleared of snow as thoroughly as possible when I left for my business meetings in the morning.

However, the visit started out badly when I slipped on a wet marble floor and fell, sustaining contusions and a very sore tailbone. Jillian was right there, took a report, and made sure I was all right enough to get to my room. Admittedly, this was the day of the first snowstorm of 2012, so some wetness was to be understood, but these were puddles.

On getting to my room, I noted that one of the lamps did not work, but decided to take care of that later. I called downstairs asking for any calls to be held until I called back to say I was free, so I could soak in a hot bath undisturbed, and perhaps ease my aching back. Within ten mintues the phone rang. And rang. It was clearly not being held as I requested. I clambered out of the tub and ran for the phone...only to find that the phone I grabbed was dead. By the time I got to the other phone the call was gone. I had to return it immediately, since it had not been held, and by the time it was completed, the bath was cold and I was exasperated. (I was told one of the cleaning staff put the call through by mistake. That seemed hardly plausible, but I was not about to argue it with the front desk.)

Jillian offered to comp me dinner, and I was grateful for the kindness. I ordered sea scallops, and when they arrived, took one bite...and immediately spit it out; the shellfish was clearly"off" and I did not want to take a chance, as seafood can be very nasty that way. I frankly was so tired of having to complain or correct things, I simply pushed it aside. So dinner was a baked potato and salad; the tray was left outside with the scallops not eaten. During dinner, the maintenance man arrived and fixed the lamp and phone...and left his tools in my room in the middle of the floor. I called downstairs, told them he had left his tools and put them outside, next to the dinner tray. I then went to bed.

On returning to my room the next day, again the small touches were missing. A half-drunk glass obviously from dinner had been left on the table, the toiletries in the bathroom had not been replaced, and when I went to get a cup of coffee, just as it was in 2009, the provided half and half was sour, and curdled in the coffee. At this point, I completely gave up.

I like this hotel; I really do. Its renovations are marvelous. The room itself was lovely, very clean, and the bed comfortable, and the shower had great water pressure and plenty of hot water. But a hotel is not just the bed and the bathroom; it is the small details and conscientiousness of the staff that make a stay memorable, and cause this frequent traveler to come back. On this trip, with the one huge staff exception mentioned above, the details and conscientiousness were definitely missing.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Traveling_Psychic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Milford, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here twice during the Chrismas holiday. Excellent customer service. The lobby and lounge/restaurant are nice and recently renovated, but the rooms are showing their age. One can tell by the small bathroom and sliding glass doors to a shallow balcony this property was built a couple of decades ago.

After a long day's drive I was looking forward to relaxing in the sauna and hot tub, but found both to be out of order.

Overall it was a comfortable stay, but I may explore other properties next time I am in Syracuse.

Room Tip: Top floor seems noisier due to airport close by.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Boston
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stopped over here on a roadtrip, but wish we could have stayed longer. We got a corner room, and the placed seemed very quiet. The room itself was spacious, and I was in love with the beds, SO comfortable! Location was great too, right off the highway, but far enough that you cant hear any of the traffic. Not much in the area though, so you would need to search in terms of places to eat if you plan on finding food nearby.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 6, 2011

Hotel appears to have been upgraded. Customer Service excellent and priced very reasonably.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Kmagdon, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Thank you very much for saying so and also for taking the time to share this with your fellow travelers, we hope to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed November 30, 2011

I've always had an above average experience at Double Tree. This time I was shocked at the poor quality of the bed. The mattress was extremely soft and provided zero support. I literally sunk to the bottom, couldn't sleep and woke up with a sore neck and back. This wouldn't stop me from staying at a Double Tree again, but it makes me wonder if they're trying to cut corners somewhere. If so, the bed is the last place where they should be doing this.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Kmagdon, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse, responded to this review, December 12, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent stay experience and discomfort of the bedding. As a DoubleTree hotel, our guest stays all start with a comfy Sweet Dreams bedding package so if we don't deliver with this not else matters. We hope given the opportunity to address the situation we did out best to correct it and we sincerely apologize if we did not.

We appreciate your loyalty to DoubleTree and hope that we have another chance to have you as our guest and show you that we are committed to making every stay great.
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Stayed here after driving down from upstate NY, prior to an early flight the next day. Hotel helped me drop off my rental car the night before my flight and got me to the airport on time. Very comfortable stay. Helpful Staff. I would certianly stay here again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Lakewood, NY
Reviewed November 28, 2011

The hotel was above average and has easy access off the thruway and within minutes of SU. There is ample parking and a nice lobby. The rooms were clean seemingly well kept with a decent bathroom and good shower. The kids loved the indoor pool which was warm and the hottub which seemed clean. There are nice tables and chairs on the pool deck with plenty of clean jumbo towels. There is also an outdoor pool for summer months. There was also a nice aerobic fitness room adjacent to the pool area.
Heard there was a prime rib dinner but we couldnt make it.

Room Tip: Hallways are long and the elevators are a little slow
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family