“Would stay here again!”

Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Glen Allen, Va
“Would stay here again!”
Reviewed September 26, 2011

When I checked in, the room temperature was 73 degrees. I called to alert there was an issue with cooling the room. The engineer came promptly and tried to diagnose the problem. He then returned with a new thermostat which did not work. He then retrieved another thermostat and repaired the problem within 45 minutes. This attention enabled me to be comfortable during my stay, and I really appreciated their attention to detail. The room was comfortable, and the shuttle service was excellent. Mike, the shuttle driver was very courteous and professional. It all added up to make my stay very enjoyable. I appreciated their efforts.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank loist51
Kmagdon, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse, responded to this review, September 28, 2011
Thank you so much for sharing your stay experience! As we all know too well, problems do pop up from time to time but how you handle then makes all the difference! Truly glad you enjoyed your stay and we look forard to your next visit! We will have Mike waiting for you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Clarence, New York
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Dont get me wrong this is a nice Hotel but for the $169.00 per night price tag I would rather stay at a newer property. I expected a little better upkeep of the room I was in, bathroom needed updating for one, molding caulk in the shower and carpeting in the room weel worn. One major problem for me was not being able to get the room below 75 degrees, when I complained I was told it's programmed that way and I wont be able to get a lower temperature. I wont return to this hotel because of that, I need to be comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Kmagdon, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse, responded to this review, September 26, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience from the recent stay you had with us. As one of the most recently renovated properties in Syracuse, our sincere hope is that we represent one of the best "Value for Price Paid" properties around and apologize that the condition that you detailed made you feel otherwise. We also appreciate your comments on our HVAC system and although our units are only a few years old, the seasonal transitions we experience here in CNY test the limits of a large system such as ours and we apologize that is was unable to reach your personal preference. Again Thank You
NY
Reviewed September 22, 2011

I attended a conference and stayed at this hotel. The conference room was spacious and comfortable. The hotel seems to be recently re-decorated and they used a lot of purple in the decor. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The price of the rooms was a bit expensive. The breakfast buffet was $15 and was overpriced for what you received. I discovered later in my stay that they did set up a little table in the lobby where they served free coffee and muffins. They also had a mangers' reception that served a vegetable tray and sparkling wine, this was a nice treat after a day of meetings. Also, you receive a delicious warm cookie at check-in and there are two free waters and Andes mints in the room. Our conference included a lunch banquet, but the food was mediocre. Our room had two full sized beds which were a little small since I am use to a queen sized bed. The room was mostly clean though there were a lot of hairs on the bathroom floor. Overall this hotel was okay, though I probably would stay elsewhere if given the option.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank NyCricket
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Our room was very clean and comfortable... nothing spectacular but good for Syracuse. The pool looked nice although we didn't get a chance to use it. Parking was very close to your room and free. I was awakened two nights in a row by some very loud, drunk, laughing people in the hallway.

The restaurant is attractive, but the food is nothing special, particularly the breakfast buffet. The first morning we had a decent, average breakfast with a nice man working the omelette station. He asked what we wanted in our omelettes and cooked them up very nicely. I asked for an egg white omelette, which isn't unusual these days, because of my high cholesterol. He used the egg whites but before I could say anything he added a huge scoop of butter to the pan to cook it. Was he that dumb that he didn't know that butter is also extremely high in cholesterol? Go figure...

Next morning they had moved the buffet into an ugly room next to the restaurant so it was a trek to get over there from where we were seated. The reason given was that they were serving state police who were there for the fair. They restaurant was half empty so I don't see why. We had only seen state police in the bar at night. There was a new omelette chef. I basically asked for the same thing, a vegie omelette made with egg whites. This time as he went for the large scoop of butter I commented that he really didn't need to use so much butter to cook an omelette, and I would prefer he use less. He got offended and told me that it was necessary that he use that much butter otherwise the omelette would stick. I pointed out that he was using a non-stick pan and a little butter would go a long way. I am a cook and make omelettes every day for myself at home. When I returned to pick up my omelette it was filled with uncooked, and I mean raw, onions.The eggs were watery and uncooked. Well I guess he got me... unfortunately for the hotel I will never order their breakfast buffet again. The management needs to bring their chefs into the 21st century, by educating them about people like me who want to eat healthy breakfasts. We also ordered room service one night. The "spicy" fish was overcooked and served with what blob of hot sauce, obviously out of a bottle, poured on top. The crab cakes were acceptable, just average, but the price was right. The dessert brownie arrived dripping over the sides of the bowl because the ice cream had already melted. If was a big mess. If you have the energy you're better off eating somewhere else. Otherwise, the hotel is nice.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room anywhere near the elevators, although this may not help. The hallways outsi...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Kmagdon, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Syracuse, responded to this review, September 23, 2011
Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor! We appreciate both positive feedback as well as constructive comments that help us improve our service and product. As part of a progressive Hilton family of Hotels we pride ourselves in the ongoing effort to continually adapt to our customers expectations while traveling; with both product updates like our over $2 million spent in complete meeting space renovations this year, to our menu and service training that focuses on healthier food options. So we sincerely apologize when these expectations are not met or exceeded; we hope that with your overall stay experience we may have you once again as a guest and that you will give our dining outlets another try.
Melville
Reviewed September 6, 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed here over the Labor Day weekend. We travel a lot and across the country and have been to all fifty states and thensome. This was one of the BEST hotels we ever stayed at in our ten years of traveling.

Hotel and pool were great but the kicker was the restaurant. Staying at the hotel comes with a free breakfast. This was not your ordinary breakfast. It was like a Sunday brunch with an omlete chef. Best food and service we have ever seen in ANY hotel. We would stay here again in a heartbeat.

Top notch and LARGE fitness center if you like to exercise on the road also.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have stayed at this hotel twice now, both for business trips. I'm not a fan of Syracuse and cringe every time I have to go. This hotel is close to the airport and close to the highways which makes it very convenient. There are a few decent restaurants in Carrier Circle which is very close by.

As for the hotel. It's clean, comfortable, and up-to-date. The staff could be friendlier, but I wouldn't say the stay is horrible just because of them. There is also a bar and restaurant downstairs. I've only had breakfast there and it is a real breakfast. There is also free coffee in the lobby for guests.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Northern Virginia
Reviewed August 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel for two nights with my wife and children in early August. Initially, were quite impressed with everything, from parking, to check-in, the swimming pool, and clean, quiet rooms. The hotel staff was was helpful and quite friendly.

We stayed on a weekend, and there happened to be two weddings at the hotel on Saturday. So, it was a bit busy... apparently too busy for the Doubletree to handle. Our room was NEVER CLEANED.

We left our hotel room Saturday morning at 9:30 a.m. and returned around 3 pm. Our room was still a mess -- and we needed towels. Spotting the maid in the hallway we asked when she would clean our room. She said that she would come to our room at "five p.m." I confirmed the time and thanked her.

My family and I left for an early dinner and returned at 7:30 p.m. Room was untouched.
I called the front desk and they apologized, and made an offer of free breakfast in the morning... Well, we were going to check-out before breakfast began, so the offer was no good to us... Nothing else was offered.

I happened to see a little card in our room with a note from the hotel manager. It was the standard "I hope everything in our hotel meets your expectations" speel... and directed the reader to call or contact him if there were any concerns.

I sent him a short and specfic email about his hotel having an understaffed cleaning crew and relayed my experience. Got NO REPLY.

I can't really knock the hotel too much, but the manager's apparent apathy, and the uncleaned room left me with some concerns about a future visit.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family