“Matchbox sized room”

Ranked #19 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Gatineau, Canada
“Matchbox sized room”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

I got there after a day of shopping with my spouse, got there, front desk clerc was nice, got the room, very strong smell of piss everywhere, room was smaller than my guest room at home (which isin't that big), we automatically left to search for an other room (which we found within an hour) went back to the hotel and asked for a refund, the clerk advised that if we had been there before within 30 minutes he could of done something but now he couldn't. I threw the keys at him and told him to keep his 60$ at that point it was still better to pay and sleep somewhere else! Would never go there even if it was free!

• Stayed August 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Bahia de Los Angeles, Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

This place barely passes as a hotel. Emergency door is broken and anyone can enter the property. Bathroom smells of pee and cushions and chair are badly stained. I stayed for one night as a single male, but I wouldn't stay here with women or children. Not secure.

Room Tip: Just stay away from the place unless you are simply looking for a place to crash. Women and childre...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

I booked one of the rooms at the East Syracuse Americas Best Value Inn during the month of June 2013. I live in the Syracuse area but was just looking for a decent place to get away from work and relax for a couple of nights with my fiance. I wanted something in a pretty low price range and ABVI definitely hit that mark at around $45-$55/night. Additionally, I found that when booking directly from their website I could apply for their member rewards card and get an additional 15% off my stay. So I booked my reservations and ended up getting the room at a great low rate of $40 (not including taxes). Overall the reviews for the motel on Tripadvisor were pretty positive but I tried to prepare myself to not keep my expectations too high because it just seemed like it might be too good to be true....honestly how good can a place be for $40 a night during a summer travel weekend? It turned out to be surprisingly better than I expected. On the plus side the location is a bit tucked back away from the Carrier circle area so while you have the benefit of being very close (less than 1/2 mile) to a thruway on ramp and major highways, but thankfully you do not have the traffic noise that the more costly hotels right on the circle have to deal with. The lobby and guest breakfast area/lounge were very clean when I arrived and my check in process was quick and easy. I appreciated that I was given 2 keys and the desk clerk informed me that they had free popcorn downstairs in the evenings and we were welcome to watch the big flat screen tv in the lounge anytime. When I carried my bags up to the room and opened the door I honestly laughed out loud...it had to be the teeny tiniest motel room I had ever seen. Mind you, I have stayed at a Microtel in the past but I cringe to say I think this room was even a bit smaller than that. I rolled with it though since I had a nice view from my window and I was honestly just looking forward to being out of the summer heat. We had been experiencing a really intense heatwave (3 straight weeks of 90+ degrees and high humidity everyday) in the area and honestly all I wanted to do was crank the AC and relax. I was a bit surprised that nobody had thought to turn the AC on in the room before I arrived (?) since I booked the room for 2 nights a couple of weeks prior to that. There were only a handful of guests at the motel at the time so I kind of figured since business was a bit slow there it might have been a nice gesture to do something like that for guests before the arrival to ensure the rooms where cool and comfortable when they arrived. Oh well. When I got in there it was honestly even hotter in the room than it was outdoors. I turned on the AC and hopped in the shower expecting that at least by the time I got out the room would be a few degrees cooler than before. Unfortunately, that was not the case. I'm not sure what was going on with the air conditioner but it has some sort of automatic setting that would only allow it to blow cold air for about 5 minutes before switching back to a low fan setting the rest of the time. I sat there trying to be patient about it while trying to apply my makeup with beads of sweat rolling down my face the entire time. I did not want to whine to the front desk about it since I already had most of my things unpacked and I had just used the shower and towels. I figured perhaps the AC unit was an older model and maybe it needed to run a little while before really kicking in. After about 3 hours it finally managed to start blowing cold air out and while it was not nearly as cool as I expected it should be at least it provided a little bit of relief to the heat- and honestly, I paid $40 a night so I figured this was probably as good as it was going to get. The only other qualms I had about the motel were that though the room was listed as a 'king' I can definitely say that the mattress was not even close to a king size. My fiance stayed over and once we were both seated on the mattress we realized that the bed was about the same size as my futon mattress at home,so it was more like a double. On the plus side the sheets and blankets were clean and they gave us extra pillows (I always ask for them but rarely, if ever, get them). There was a large mirror behind the bed that spans almost the entire wall which was pretty strange. I felt very uncomfortable standing in front of it when I was undressed because the glass has a deep tint to it and I sort of felt as if I were on an episode of Law & Order in the witness interrogation room :-D I appreciated the fact that the ice machine was not a far walk from our room (since we went through a lot of ice that weekend!) and there were vending machines on each floor. The housekeeping staff were very kind and attentive (I believe it was a husband and wife working together which was very sweet) and though I didn't love that they overlooked our do not disturb sign on the door the first morning and we had to tell them we were still in, it is nice that they were willing to come back and tidy up while we were out later on during the afternoon. We stayed at the motel for 2 nights and honestly did not encounter one unpleasant or unhappy employee at the location which is always nice to see and even though there were a few things that could have been improved upon, overall I did not hinder us from having a relaxing weekend together.

Room Tip: I believe that all the rooms in this motel are the same (with the exception of the handicap accessib...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MFosterNy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I booked through price line and did not realize I booked for one queen size bed for three ppl. But the manager changed the room to two queen size beds without any extra cost. He was really nice and kind. It is definitely a cozy and comfortable to stay for few days. I stayed one day here on the way to Boston.

• Stayed May 2013
Deltona, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

The room was small but the price was right. We spent only one night and didn't need a big room anyway. The bed was comfortable and we had a good's night sleep. The room was clean and the staff was friendly. The breakfast was not the best but the coffee was good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

To me my room was horrid. I used to work for a hotel so I know what needs to be done. I always check my room from top to bottom. The bathroom was not cleaned. There was pee all over the toilet seat, the towels werent white almost a grey tent to it. The cushion on the window seat was busted with foam coming out very displeasing. Our room was a handicap room and came with a queen and a TWIN bed. The box spring was busted open with stuffing falling out. The mattress cover was full of stains. There was no fitted sheet just two flat sheets. Everything was full of dust, phone, tv, remote and desk. After buying a sheet set, a towel set and cleaning supplies it was doable for the two nights we stayed. Granted it was only $50 a night certain things should still be up to par reguardless if its $50 or $500 a night. Like clean sheets and the toilet at LEAST wiped clean. Very displeased but you get what u pay for I guess

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Dt2188
ontario, canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is an old Micro Hotel...it was a small room that does need updating...but after reading all the reviews we took a chance..it was good if you are just staying for the night and need a place to sleep..had breakfast in the morning

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
CrestHill Suites Syracuse
#4 of 19 in East Syracuse
Ramada East Syracuse Carrier Circle
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse / Carrier Circle

Been to Americas Best Value Inn - East Syracuse? Share your experiences!