“awsome”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed March 5, 2007

We stayed herre with our whole gym of cheerleaders for a national competition. It was awsome. The rooms were big & clean, the atrium was absolutely beautiful and the pool was great for the girls. For younger kids there is an arcade. The morning breakfast was plentiful.
We all had a fantastically memorable time. We would definatly stay there agian.

• Stayed: March 2006
2  Thank Angileyze1
Write a ReviewReviews (1,282)

Reviewed February 15, 2007

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites Syracuse several times, and have never had a problem with it being dirty. The staff is always great, the restaurant isn't busy, but the food is good. The free breakfast and manager's happy hour are wonderful, especially those with a family. We always stay here when in town.

A few negatives are it isn't a cheap hotel, and the pool can be cold. Otherwise, a fine place to stay.

Stayed: August 2006
3  Thank Larry W
Reviewed January 22, 2007

Dear Scott Austin (GM of Hotel),

While often we travelers are quick to complain, I suspect we don't always give credit where it's due.

My situation is around 200 nights a year in hotels, and I can assure you that I have minimum expectations that must be met that determine if I even stay the second night, let alone rebook a property. I have checked out of hotels after the first night on 5 occasions this year alone, and 1 time without even staying the night. My minimum expectations are secure and clean comfortable surroundings with competent staff. If I observe that my minimum expectations have been met, I sometimes look for things that make the stay even more pleasant.

When a property meets my expectation, I give them a 'C' grade, which means that they are average. If they go an extra distance, I increase that grade. Seldom do I ever find a property that gets an 'A' grade, because that means pure excellence to me, and it's not always the amenities that are important, but the intangibles as well.

My experience at this property was unanticipated. While the exterior was typical, I was truly awed by the appearance of the interior lobby and commons area, with it's subdued lighting and soft background music, it was very pleasant and relaxing. As I was going through the days there, I was thinking of things that might add to the enjoyment of the stay that I couldn't find, perhaps kind of a game to trip up the hotel to establish a final grade. But as time went on, it was like I had this little genie on my shoulder, and every time I thought of something, it was -poof- and it appeared. Naturally it was there all along, yet it shows the unintrusive layout of amenities at the hotel. While the layout of the guest room itself was just typical, I enjoyed the lack of billboard advertising that so many other places force you to wade through and endure.

Regarding the staff, the Hilton chain usually has the 'Catch me at my best' theme to single out individual staff members. Well, it's kind of hard to single one out when they are all at the top of their best. Everyone that I encountered here had such a can do attitude that is lacking at so many other properties. It's truly enjoyable visiting a property with smiling service that has staffers that are not sniffing for tips all the time. While they didn't turn any tips down, it readily appeared to me that they didn't expect any. From the moment I walked in late the first night, the front desk staff set eyebrow raising expectations, and was punctuated by the restaurant and breakfast area staff. The second night, I was carrying some items to the elevator, and had someone come rushing over to push the elevator buttons for me. Unbelievable.

This property has set the high bar for standards of excellence, and I feel deserves a grade of 'AA'. I would definitely stay here again, and would absolutely recommend this hidden diamond to everyone.

In the areas of improvements:

- I would only suggest that the guest room housekeeping could be improved a bit, there was dust on some horizontal surfaces, typically above eye level that has accumulated. I would only rate the guest room housekeeping as a 'C' . I found myself sneezing quite a bit.

- The internet service gets an 'F'. It is slow and unreliable, disconnected frequently, and gave Nomadix popups much too often. Nomadix should not even intercept me once I have signed in. When I commented on that at the front desk, they typically ask did you report it to the hot line. Quite honestly, I say no, because it's not my responsibility to debug your network problems. I do this type of work for a living, and I have no interest in working for free to resolve it with someone that is half a world away and speaks English as a second or third language.

- Let's get some beer for the manager's reception. Miller Lite is not beer.

See you next time!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
5  Thank Xuvok
Reviewed December 23, 2006

This hotel is far from perfect, but its staff tries hard to be good. A last-minute request upon check-in for two double beds (rather than a king) was honored by the front desk supervisor at no additional charge. A call for a small fan produced one within 10 minutes, delivered to the room by an attendant who declined a tip! The track-suited employee minding the pool at 8:30 p.m. scolded unruly kids for splashing, bid us good night on our way out the door, and reminded us of the hours for complimentary breakfast.

Staff pleasantries can't dismiss physical plant problems. At registration, two of three keycard machines weren't functioning. The outer automatic lobby door for the handicapped (and those who use baggage carts!) opened only sporadically, and the overhead device that works the inner handicapped door was literally falling from its moorings. Push-button panels in one elevator were loose. The spa pool was tepid at best. The console television in our suite's sitting room was on the dark-and-blurry side.

Embassy Suites is on the high end of the lodging price spectrum in Syracuse, so comparatively it should be physically better than its many nearby competitors. It should at least be as good as the people who are running it. Sadly, it's not.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled on business
6  Thank Joe_Zlomek
Reviewed May 2, 2006

The first thing to know is that the directions from Hertz Neverlost and Mapblast will not get you to this hotel. Somehow it has escaped their attention that an expressway runs between the dead end they take you to and the actual hotel. Finding it from there can be a challenge.

This is a property badly in need of renovation. The bulb in one bedside lamp was burned out and another lamp had no bulb at all. Everything was shabby and surprisingly dirty. A tray of half-eaten breakfast was still outside the room next door at 7pm!

Forget the almost empty restaurant with a hostess who clearly wished she was out dancing. There are several better restaurants just around the corner. Come to think of it, there are several better HOTELS just around the corner, too. This location is no longer an acceptable choice, especially at the price charged.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
4  Thank lightbreadman
Reviewed April 28, 2006

My minimum criterion for a hotel is that it is clean; thus, this Embassy Suites failed to pass even that simple test. The front desk staff were lovely and very accomodating, but the first room I was shown had a smear of feces in the toilet, mud on the side of the bath tub and hairs on the BR floor. In the next room, the carpet was dirty, there were both food stains and actual food on the floor (potato chips?). This is the type of joint where you never let your bare feet touch the floor. Never again......

Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank viviang697
Reviewed March 26, 2006

We had a lovely suite/room that overlooked the pool. The room was clean. Nothing to complain about. Was roomy for three of us (incl 1 child). Was a little noisy one night, but managment is great at sending everyone who is under 18 back to their rooms.

The buffet breakfast was amazing.

Great value for your money. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2006
Hilton Garden Inn Syracuse
#3 of 19 in East Syracuse
Hampton Inn & Suites Syracuse / Carrier Circle
Homewood Suites by Hilton Syracuse - Carrier Circle

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse? Share your experiences!