“Not like any Embassy Suites we've ever stayed at”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We were in Syracuse to meet family and picked the Embassy Suites for it's online description of amenities (indoor pool, spa, on site restaurant, etc.), but will never stay here again.

The hotel was overrun by undisciplined and disrespectful kids. When we tried to use the pool for example; we found it to be over crowded (with little or no adult supervision), or the water was so filthy (too cloudy to see the bottom and "things" floating on the surface) that I wouldn't get in, let alone allow my 8 year old daughter to. Kids were allowed to run around and scream from the balconies of the atrium while blowing noise makers, and no one said a thing (parent or staff). Even though there was a 9PM curfew for minors posted in the lobby, that didn't stop them from running up and down the stairs at all hours of the night slamming doors and making as much noise as possible.

The suite was "decent", but my wife had to clean the bathroom herself due to how dirty it was and also had to clean hairs out of the tub from previous guests. Their TV channel selection is pitiful as well. They don't even have the Weather Channel, HBO or the YES network, and this is New York. There were no additional linen or pillows for the sofa bed and the pillows that were in the bedroom were so used and flat, you had to use 3 just so your head wasn't laying on the bed. We called housekeeping for additional pillows, but it took more than 2 hours for them to bring them. Also, the sheet that was on the sofa bed had blood stains on it (picture attached). To housekeeping's credit, they were there in minutes to remake the bed.

On the hotel's website; they list an onsite restaurant that is open for lunch and dinner, but in actuality it doesn't open until 5PM. We tried it the first night and wished we had just gone hungry. I ordered a burger cooked medium and received a charcoal brick on a bun. My wife and daughter ordered a pizza and not only did it have no flavor what so ever, the dough wasn't cooked all the way through. Not to mention their drink/food menu that is posted on the hotel's site is not what we were given in the restaurant.

The only positive comment I can make about our stay is about the wait staff for breakfast and the nightly Managers reception. They were very friendly and attentive.

We have stayed at countless Embassy Suites over the years and this Hotel should be re-branded, because it is certainly not one.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Matthew S, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Hello,
Thanks for taking the time to share your comments.
Your experience is highly atypical and not at all consistent with that of the overwhelming majority of our guests. With our cleanliness scores in the top 25% of the Embassy Brand and great feedback about our restaurant and room service I am perplexed at how badly we missed the mark during your recent visit. I hope for a future opportunity to serve you as I am 100% confident that you will have a much different experience.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

This was my first experience staying at an Embassy Suite Hotel and I must say I was extremely impressed. From the friendliness of everyone who worked there, to the very clean and manicured hotel and beautiful lobby, to the clean and very quiet rooms, which were beautiful, I would highly recommend staying at the Syracuse Hotel where I stayed for two days.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Matthew S, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Hi Tracey,
Thanks for the great review!
Best Regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Nice facility, but close to expressway so avoid rooms that face to the north Rooms are huge, suites with separate bed room The Key card system for the room did not work very well. Maintenance staff worked hard to fix the problem. room ventilation system did not cool the room very well Food quality was very good. Fitness room needs more equipment

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Hi David,
I'm glad you liked your visit overall!
Thanks for taking the time to share specific points upon which we can improve. We have new key cards on the way - since they are programmed and reprogrammed so frequently the magnetic strip looses it's effectiveness with time... new ones should help. We expect new fitness equipment within the next 3-6 months as well. The AC is up and running for the season!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My mom and I have stayed at the Embassy Suites for years as a mini vacation to relax. This year we decided to stay two nights (as opposed to our regular one). The hotel is gorgeous and we love the rooms and having two rooms so my mom can take the bed and I sleep on the sofa bed. We love the manager's reception and the room service is wonderful.

My first complaint is that wi-Fi is not free. For years, I remember wi-Fi having a charge, then last year I was given a password so I thought that they finally came to their senses. Not so much, I
Was once again asked to pay a fee for wi-Fi which I think is so unreasonable in 2014 where wi-Fi is free at coffee shops, McDonald's or the Motel 6 down the street. For what I paid for the room, I think small things like this should be included.

My second complaint is the blanket on the sofa bed. It was like sleeping with sand paper! Very uncomfortable.

I also noticed the room smelled like cigarettes even though we were in a non-smoking room. We were next to a smoking room but oh my... It was nauseating at times.

Lastly, there was a large party going on with a live band and the doors to the hall were left open so you could hear the music until midnight. I would've liked to have at least been told
of this or been on a higher floor so it wasn't quite so loud.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and will probably return. I just think that some things need to be changed if you're going to ask for $170 per night.

• Stayed: April 2014
Matthew S, Director of Sales at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Riboyce,
Thanks for taking the time to share this detailed assessment with me. I'll see what we can do about the sofa bed blanket. As for the music, I'm sorry that our hotel policy regarding entertainment was somehow compriomised. We require ballroom doors to be closed for all evening events for the very reason you mentioned. Additionally, we do not allow music or bands to play after 11 PM - this rule has been in place for 3 years. Anyway, I look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed April 3, 2014

Very nice accomodations...from pick up at the airport to the breakfast buffett and evening cocktail party. Big rooms with nice features...great for the business traveler. Room was a little too warm for my liking and unfortunately there was little that could be done. Other than that a lovely place to stay when visiting Syracuse - just do it in the summer.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Hi Dorothy!
Thanks for the good review and comments! Most people love our spacious 2 room suites and cooked to order breakfast every morning... don't miss the freshly cooked omelets!
Thanks!

Reviewed April 2, 2014

Loved the hotel although our maid service was sub par. The hotel lobby was beautiful, the mangers reception was lovely. The rooms were spacious and the restaurant was fabulous. The only disappointment was the housekeeping service. However, I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Hi Colleen,
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit! Yes - our room cleanliness is now in the top 25% of the Embassy Brand! We look forward to serving you in the future!
Thanks,

Reviewed March 29, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed here for just a one night, winter get-away. When our kids were young, we used to take them here for a nice, mid-winter surprise. We had never had a bad experience here until this last stay. The hotel is nice and it's clean. WE used the pool and the hot tub, which are attractive and relaxing as well. "Cocktail" hours offerings were very limited. I don't drink alcoholic and they offer no non- alcoholic beer. I drank watered down ginger ale. The breakfast was good and the freshly made omelettes are the BOMB!

We first noticed that we had a problem when we entered the room it must have been 80 degrees in there. We attempted to turn the temp. down on the thermostat but it didn't not seem to change the temp. in the room at all. We ended up having to open a window, which had no screen and there was a lower roof which made our room accessible to anyone that could gain access to that roof. To sum it up, to be able to even STAND being in the room, you had to leave the window open, which made your room unsecured to the outside. When we complained about it at the front desk, we were told that the A/C is turned off for the season and the open window is the only way to make it cooler in the rooms. When we were in the hot tub, a nice family from Ontario was telling us that their room was the same way.

The next problem that we had was when we came in for the evening and decided to go on our tablets and access the internet. We were unable to after probably 5 attempts entering the appropriate usernames and passwords.

We then decided to give up on that and watch the large flat screen TV in our room. We were able to turn it on, we had audio but no video. I tried everything that you can think of to get a picture but it was not to be. We called the front desk to report this problem at about 10:15. You would think that 45 mins. lead time would be plenty to have someone come up and figure out the TV for us in time to catch the 11:00 news but at this place, this time....is was not. We sat and waited until 11:30 and called down to the front desk and told them to just forget it now because we're going to bed. No battery cover on the remote either, which is petty but when you're paying almost $200 a night, you kind of expect more.

The next morning we explained all of our issues to the nice lady on duty. She apologized for the problems that we experienced and did offer to add additional points to our rewards account. We still had a good time but a bit of a disappointment, considering the price that we paid for one night.

We did get a form letter from Chezza F. Casino, Front Office Manager, I emailed her back explaining in detail the troubles that we had at her property, that was 11 days ago and we've received no response. I know that Embassy Suites can do better!

Room Tip: The higher rooms have the best views of the atrium.