“Okay, but ...”

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Maryland, U.S.A.
“Okay, but ...”
Reviewed May 27, 2008

We stayed here one night in May 2008. The staff was friendly. The restaurant was convenient. The parking was free. The public areas -- lobby, pool, breakfast area -- were very attractive but our room was another story. It was in serious need of some deep cleaning or renovation. Too many mystery stains! We have stayed in a number of Embassy Suites, but I would never choose to stay in this particular one again.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Rochester, NY
Reviewed May 4, 2008

If you are looking for a great hotel in Syracuse, NY you need to check out the Embassy Suites. My room was huge compared to most hotel rooms. I had a living room with a pull out couch, and a nice size bedroom. It was very comfortable. The bedding was heavenly!! The room also had a small fridge and microwave. They have the manager's reception in the evening with free beverages and snacks, and the free breakfast in the morning is a huge plus for families. Made to order omelets YUM! It's good start to your day.
The gym was small but has enough equipment for a good workout. There were 3 restaurants within walking distance if you want go out for lunch/dinner.
The hotel is very clean and the staff is excellent.
JG, Rochester, NY

• Liked — Cleanliness, room comfort
  • Disliked — It's located right next to the expressway so it's a little noisey.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 17, 2008

The interior of this hotel is very nice, and the rooms are extremely spacious. The location of this hotel is nice that it's removed from downtown Syracuse, but only a 15 minute drive to anything you need to get to. There is a free breakfast and free drinks in the evenings (although this feature may only be for hilton honors points members).

Other than having to pay for the internet, my stay here was incredible.

• Liked — spacious rooms
  • Disliked — paying for the internet
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed April 9, 2008

I stay here every few months on buisness. The staff is ok, not the most friendly though.

The hotel is right on the NYS Thruway. Make sure you ask for a room on the south side of the hotel, or you will be kept up by tractor trailers all night long. Really, my room was only about 80 feet from the southbound lane.

The hotel is clean, the rooms are nice, and they have a beatiful atrium in the middle of the hotel. It makes you feel like you are outside in the middle of the winter.

They have a free breakfast, as well as a free Managers Reception from 5:30 to 7:00 with free drinks. Wine, beer, and limited liquor selection. It is a nice touch.

I will definitely continue to stay here.

• Liked — Manager's Reception
  • Disliked — Highway Traffic and Noise on North Side of Hotel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
Long Island NY
Reviewed March 17, 2008

Well let me say I was aware of the noise issue because of the reviews right here on this site. But all the other girls on my daughters hockey team and their parents were staying here so I decided not to look elsewhere. The hotel is a little on the rundown side. Perhaps I am a little too picky but the carpeting in my room looked a bit dirty and worn and the furniture was fairly nicked up and scratched. I have been in a lot worse and I have been in a lot better. The 'atrium' design with all the rooms facing a central area began to remind me of a prison after a while. I was in cell block B. The ' Atrium' ( echo chamber ) was very pleasing to the eye but not conducive to peace and quite. Lots of greenery and fish in ponds. Tikii bar and breakfast area all visible by every room in the house. During the day not a problem. But at midnight and your trying to get some sleep all you can hear or the teens and others milling ( and or running ) around. My rear room was away from the atrium but right next to I-90. Some people count sheep to fall asleep I counted 18 wheelers!
On the positive side breakfast was fantastic. Eggs anyway you want them omlets, bacon, sausage, pancakes, waffles, muffins, bagels, juices,and more! No complaints there! Every evening there was open bar for about an hour and a half to two hours. No complaints there either! Staff was very friendly and gave me a fan at my request to help drown out some of the 'atrium' noise. The in house resaurant had fantastic food. Great buffalo wings!
I bet the hockey team stays there again next year and I guess I will wind up there again. I guess for the open bar and a great breakfast I will have to put up with some sleepless nights.

• Stayed March 2008
New Hartford, New York
Reviewed March 11, 2008

My husband and I had to fly out of Syracuse to Orlando for our yearly vacation. As we live about an hour east of Syracuse, and it's winter in upstate NY, we felt that it would be a really great idea to stay in Syracuse the night before our flight. We booked Embassy Suites as we had never stayed there before (we usually stick with Marriott chain hotels) and wanted to try it out. After reading several reviews on Tripadvisor about the children running rampant I was a little nervous.

The outside of the hotel could use an update, but still looked well taken care of.

When we checked in, my husband asked the very nice desk person for a ''quiet'' room, something away from the highway. We were promptly given room 229, which was perfect....very quiet. No children running through the halls (granted it was a Monday night), and no noise from the road. The rooms themselves are very nice, and very clean (I am BIG on cleanliness). Big enough for a couple to be very comfortable ...a nice sized ''living room'' with tv, desk, couch and chair. Nice sized bathroom. Microwave and mini fridge. The king sized bed was very comfortable.

I should also mention the atrium. Beautiful. Reminded me almost of a lodge, complete with a large statue of a bear (their mascot). There were little ponds throughout, walkways, small bridges, and even a pond with fish in it. All clean and very nicely done.

We used the shuttle service to the airport (note: they ask you to make an appointment just to make sure they will be available when you need them. They also like to make sure they have enough room for everyone who needs to go at that time of the day). We had a 9:15am flight and reserved a shuttle for 7:45am. We left promptly at 7:45. The driver was very nice and personable.

The only thing that puzzled me is the lack of free internet service. They charge you $10.00 a day. I haven't seen anyone charge in a very long time, and I think it's about time that they caught up with everyone else!

Overall, I have to say this was a very enjoyable stay and we will definately consider staying here again next time.

• Liked — Cleanliness, friendliness of staff, shuttle to airport
  • Disliked — $$$ for internet access, although they do have a business area in the lobby
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Mass
Reviewed February 11, 2008

My husband and I from Massachusetts regularly meet friends from Ohio at Embassy Suites in Syracuse for long weekends. We've always been very pleased with the hotel, good service, clean and we always enjoy the managers reception and breakfast buffet. All of these things were still in place, however it seems to have turned into a Chuckie Cheese the last few months! I mean, loud, running children EVERYWHERE! Playing in the elevators, dominating the pool.... and no parents to be seen! This is really a shame to me, as we go for a nice relaxing weekend and I think the only ones relaxing are these kids' parents. I cant blame the kids, I probably do the same thing if no one watching me at that age. I hope the hotel can address this problem because other than this HUGE problem, its still a nice hotel. Sadly, we might look elsewhere for our next weekend.

Stayed February 2008