“Good service, but beware”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse
Ranked #12 of 19 Hotels in East Syracuse
Reviewed March 24, 2013

My family and I stayed for two nights. The hotel is fine - the Embassy Suites that I have stayed in all have good-sized rooms and ok amenities. This one is no exception. The staff I dealt with were very friendly and seemed eager enough to please, and the breakfast was good.

But, two big issues - one, I have noticed that Embassy Suites are overrun with loud groups - teams, parties, etc. and this one was VERY loud well into the night. The layout of the hotel doesn't help, as the open atrium carries sounds up to the rooms. If you need someone to sleep on the fold-out couch in the outer room, the noise can be a real problem.

Two, the pool was sub-par. It was freezing cold (the hot tub was about the right temperature for a swimming pool), and though we kept being told that it was warming up, it was really cold all weekend. Also, those people who were there were really badly behaved and I never saw anyone from the hotel even cruise through to check on things.

Overall, I think it's an ok hotel, but I saw a review mention going there for a romantic getaway, and I can't imagine that it was too romantic unless they caught it on a much quieter weekend than we did!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GWSD
Randy P, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear GWSD-

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was great to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and breakfast and that my team were friendly and welcoming. I'm very sorry for the challenges you encountered regarding the noise issues and will review with my management and security team our procedures to ensure our 10 PM "curfew" is enforced. Unfortunately we did experience some challenges with our pool and spa heater. We have gotten these repaired and the spa and pool are back up to a comfortable temperature.

Again, I appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back soon. If there is anything that I may do to be of any future assistance, please let me know.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

My friends and I stayed at this Embassy Suites as part of a Bachlorette Girls Night out... There was some confusion about the shuttle service we requested (this was due to an error on hotels.com) The staff went above and beyond to make sure our group got to our destination and was picked up when needed... The rooms fit our group perfectly, not to mention the coctail hour in the evening and the above standard breakfast in the morning. This hotel meets the needs of any occassion :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Randy P, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2013

Dear Melissa D-

It was great to hear that you and your friends enjoyed your party with us. I'm very sorry for the confusion surrounding the shuttle but glad that we were able to make sure you made it to your destination and back. Our complimentary evening reception and complimentary cooked to order breakfast are great features and glad that you enjoyed these while with us. Thanks for sharing your feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

I stayed at this Embassy Suites for two nights on a business trip in March.

The hotel is located within a mile of the Thruway exit. Be sure to use "Old Collamer" Road on your GPS device, as there is also a "Collamer" Road which will take you a couple miles out of your way (speaking from the voice of experience).

The check in staff were lovely. I will admit that I am a bear lover, so I absolutely fell in love with the hotel mascot "Jessie" the bear. They even have the cutest bear carpeting in the atrium.

My room had a king bed which was super comfortable. The room was spotlessly clean. As always, I enjoy having the fridge in the room for drinks.

I used the fitness center both days. There were 2 ellipticals and several treadmills, along with free weights and a variety of balls and mats. There were plenty of towels, water, cups and sanitizing wipes available. The center is open 24/7, which is terrific. I also had a chance to use the pool both mornings. It is big enough to do leisurely laps, and then there was a jacuzzi for relaxing. The pool area was super clean with lots of towels and chairs.

I had dinner in the hotel restaurant the first night. The French onion soup was fabulous. The London broil special was a little bit dry. There are several restaurants within walking distance to the hotel. I ate at Ruby Tuesdays the second night, where I had a very good turkey burger.

The breakfast area was very nice and I got a cooked to order omlette both days. There was also a good selection of fruits, pastries, breads and cereals.

Here is why the hotel staff stands out for me: after breakfast the first day, I set out for a long day on the road meeting with clients. It wasn't until I got back to the hotel that I realized I had lost one of my hoop earrings. I figured I'd lost it on the road and it was long gone. On a whim, I stopped by the front desk, and showed them the remaining earring and asked if anyone had turned in its mate. One of the ladies immediately jumped out of her seat, ran to the back, and returned with my earring! I must have lost it at breakfast, and someone had turned it in. I started crying I was so happy that they had found it. The earrings were a gift from my husband just this past Christmas. Thank you again to the wonderful staff!!

I will definitely stay at this hotel if I'm every back in Syracuse for business or leisure.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nittany&fargo-

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience. I will definitely make sure to share your kind words with my entire team and we all hope to welcome you back again soon. Our hotel ambassador Jessie will be here waiting to welcome you back.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

The rooms have just been renovated and are very nice with great finishes, the accommodations are large and the staff is excellent! Cook to order breakfast was delicious. Fast internet connection and a very welcoming atrium.Highly Recommend for any traveler staying in Syracuse!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Randy P, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Syracuse, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Dear allaroundtheworld365-

Thank you for taking a moment to share your experience. It was great to hear that enjoyed our brand new rooms. Every one of our rooms is a two bedroom suite and it sounds like you also enjoyed having this extra space. I"ll make sure to pass along your kind words to our complimentary cooked to order breakfast team as well. They do a great job for us each and every day.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel again soon!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

My wife and I were looking for a place to stay for our anniversary ,also my company had an event at a hotel close by so we chose Embassy Suites. I am glad we did. The rooms have been remodeled and are truly modern and clean. Big improvement from last year when we stayed. The new manager Randy Player was very accommodating and an excellent host. The evening reception with open bar, that is held daily, was warm and welcoming, not just watered down punch and cookies like some places. The cooked to order breakfast was top notch. Our stay at the Embassy came very close to some of our resorts we stay at when we travel. To all of the staff and Randy, my wife and I thank you!

Room Tip: We love the 5th floor at the top.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Bard J-

Thanks for taking a moment to share your experience and it was truly our pleasure to have you stay with us. It was great to hear you enjoyed the new rooms as well as our complimentary evening reception and breakfast. Don't hesitate to reach out to me if I may be of any future assistance and I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

I recently stayed at this hotel and found it to be very comfortable. They are currently redecorating the rooms and heard they will be completely finished in a couple months. They have a complimentary 2 hour open bar with snacks every day. It's very relaxing to sit in the atrium while sipping a glass of wine. The breakfast is included in the cost of your room which is great! The breakfast can be either cooked to order or if they have a buffet station set up you can help yourself. I found the cooked to order better. The pool is a little small and if you're there on a weekend when there are kids you may have a hard time getting any laps in. The room is very spacious and found the new decor very warm and welcoming. Overall I really like this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the Thruway if you have trouble with noise.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Diane S-

Thank you for staying with us and taking a moment to share your experience! We are indeed just finishing up enhancements to every guest room. I agree with you that the new decor is very warm and welcoming. The feedback from all guests has been very positive. As you mentioned, on busier days we will set up a breakfast buffet option. This ensures guests in a hurry can still enjoy their full complimentary breakfast. Our Chef is always present to create your favorite omelette or any other requests as well. The swimming pool can get busy on the weekends but we do offer an "adult only swim" daily after 10 PM. We've found this let's the kids enjoy the pool but still offers a quiet escape for the adults later in the evening.

Thank you again for the great feedback and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

We really enjoyed our time at the Embassy Suites and will most likely make it a yearly destination. We felt it was a great value for our money. Our daughter had a blast running around the hotel checking out the fish ponds and using the pool and jacuzzi. The complimentary breakfast was very good too! I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear GinaA-

Thanks for staying with us and it was great to hear you enjoyed your visit. The fish ponds in the lobby are a lot of fun and kids always have fun picking out their favorite fish. Nothing beats a swimming pool and Jacuzzi in the middle of the long winter and glad to hear your daughter enjoyed these as well.

We hope to see you back again next year!