“Good Apps & Decor”

Cuisines: American, French, Seafood
Good for: Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street (East Rochester)
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Appetizer we had was the Lunch box calamari and it was outstanding! Fresh, different, and the taste was wonderful. Entries were "ok". We thought based on the atmosphere and appetizer that dinner would be great. It just fell short. I had the sea bass and it was very fishy tasting. My husband had the pork osso bucco. The gorgonzola risotto was the best part of this dish. For the price of the entries and the taste we wouldn't go back for dinner. Just drinks and apps next time.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I went to Bistro 135 by myself for a quiet dinner. The rolls were hard and stale The scallops were delicious but overpriced. Service was TERRIBLE, I never got my salad and had to wait and wait and wait for my meal and the check. When a restaurant charges $30 for 2 stale rolls, 4 scallops and and half a cup of risotto, the service should be excellent.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

Have eaten here several times before. Went here on a recent Saturday night, later night reservation. They had live music with a 60s "Rat Pack" theme. The food was good, good bread, nice salad. Everything was fine until we got the bill and I ended up tipping the place twice, by accident. Bistro 135 included a 20% tip on the bill - something I have never experienced before in the Rochester area. I ended up double-tipping because the check had a line for "additional tip" and I missed the "additional" part and did not realize a 20% gratuity was AUTOMATICALLY added to the bill.

If there is one thing I hate as a consumer, it's that gnawing feeling that you just got ripped off. You let your guard down briefly, and you get screwed because you didn't go through things with a fine tooth comb.

I don't know what's up with this restaurant, but I would avoid it based on this business practice. It's a shame because the place is nice, the atmosphere is good and the food is good. But for a party of two people, it is outrageous to automatically ream us for 20% regardless of how the service is. As it was, I paid a 40% tip for the evening, and was left with indigestion when I discovered the mistake a couple of nights later.

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a nice romantic evening here with my husband. The place was packed and the band was excellent (Gap Mangione). Entrees were a bit overpriced, but otherwise good, although the fillet came out medium instead of medium rare. Appetizers and salads were reasonable and very good- calamari app, arugula salad. For this type of restaurant I was surprised that they only offered regular coffee. We would have been ok with that, but they only had half and half- no milk in the house. We ended up going to Limoncello's next door for a latte instead, which worked out nicely.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

great menu, nice bar scene, good music sometimes. The cellar "spillover area could use some warming homey touches though!