“Gratuity issues - avoid”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Bistro 135 - CLOSED

Bistro 135
Cuisines: American, French, Bar, Seafood, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Main Street (East Rochester)
Rochester, NY
“Gratuity issues - avoid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

Have eaten here several times before. Went here on a recent Saturday night, later night reservation. They had live music with a 60s "Rat Pack" theme. The food was good, good bread, nice salad. Everything was fine until we got the bill and I ended up tipping the place twice, by accident. Bistro 135 included a 20% tip on the bill - something I have never experienced before in the Rochester area. I ended up double-tipping because the check had a line for "additional tip" and I missed the "additional" part and did not realize a 20% gratuity was AUTOMATICALLY added to the bill.

If there is one thing I hate as a consumer, it's that gnawing feeling that you just got ripped off. You let your guard down briefly, and you get screwed because you didn't go through things with a fine tooth comb.

I don't know what's up with this restaurant, but I would avoid it based on this business practice. It's a shame because the place is nice, the atmosphere is good and the food is good. But for a party of two people, it is outrageous to automatically ream us for 20% regardless of how the service is. As it was, I paid a 40% tip for the evening, and was left with indigestion when I discovered the mistake a couple of nights later.

• Visited March 2013

new york
“Nice place for a romantic evening- but go next door for coffee!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Had a nice romantic evening here with my husband. The place was packed and the band was excellent (Gap Mangione). Entrees were a bit overpriced, but otherwise good, although the fillet came out medium instead of medium rare. Appetizers and salads were reasonable and very good- calamari app, arugula salad. For this type of restaurant I was surprised that they only offered regular coffee. We would have been ok with that, but they only had half and half- no milk in the house. We ended up going to Limoncello's next door for a latte instead, which worked out nicely.

rochester, ny
“An east Rochester highlight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

great menu, nice bar scene, good music sometimes. The cellar "spillover area could use some warming homey touches though!

Visited April 2012
Dallas
“Best place on the Planet of East Rochester!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

These guys are phenomenal! The food is excellent, the service is top notch, and the Jazz is wonderful! Best place in and around Rochester to eat. Ask for Meagan. She's remarkable!

Western New York
“First Visit, Nice Place!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I made reservations for dinner out for my husband's birthday. Several of my friends had already been to Bistro 135 and I was looking for a new place to try to celebrte his birthday.
We were greeted pleasantly upon arrival, and our reservation was noted prior to being seated. We were placed in the side dining room, but very quickly we were quite chilly. We asked to be re-seated and our server was very accomodating in placing us in the downstairs dining room near the fireplace. Drinks were delicious, our entrees included a salad with wonderful mixed greens and a delicious balsamic vinaigrette dressing. our entrees were generously portioned and delicious with fresh ingredients. We could not finish and had our leftovers boxed to go. Atmosphere very very nice and cozy with light jazz and a live jazz band later in the evening.
Overall, a nice evening and will definitely plan to visit again!

• Visited February 2013