My boyfriend and I stayed at Kurumba for 7 nights in June. The only word that can describe it - “Paradise”. After much research on the internet we decided on Kurumba due to its 5 star status. We like to be spoilt to luxury accommodation and we certainly weren’t disappointed.
We arrived at Male airport and within minutes we were greeted by a representative who took us to our transfer…a private speed boat. We were given a bottle of water and a cold flannel (much needed after our 11 hour flight). The transfer to the island is roughly 10 mins. There we were greeted by another representative who took us to reception where we were given a cocktail. The moment we arrived on the island we knew we were in for a fantastic holiday.
From reception we were taken to our bungalow. There are no cars on the island, except golf type buggies. Beware! The staff are lethal drivers so hold on tight!! We were given a tour of the island on our way to our bungalow. Even though we were told the island was 70% full, you hardly see anyone, it’s so quiet and peaceful.
We booked an ocean front deluxe bungalow and it was well worth paying that little bit extra. The room was amazing, with a four poster bed, luxury bathroom with outdoor shower (watch out for the lizards) and decked outdoor area. The view was stunning, we were literally steps away from the sea. Gorgeous. The rooms are cleaned thoroughly twice a day and the staff decorate the bed with flowers in the evening. Lovely.
The weather was fantastic, we had read that June wasn’t the best time to visit the Maldives however we had beautiful weather all week. Although it may be cloudy, beware you can still get sunburnt (as I found out!). We had one evening where it rained, unfortunately for us the heavens opened as we left our bungalow to go for dinner. But as always the staff were on hand and within minutes we saw a golf buggie heading our way to collect us!
The staff, in our opinion, are what make Kurumba so special. They treat you like royalty from the moment you arrive. They are always there to help and do everything with a smile, they can’t do enough for you. They keep the resort immaculate and credit should be given to each of them.
We chose to stay on a bed and breakfast basis. As I’m vegetarian we wanted the variety of the 9 restaurants on the island to choose from. The buffet breakfast is outstanding, there is so much choice. For guests staying on a half board basis, the theme for the buffet in the main restaurant changed every evening and we actually went there most nights. There was always plenty of choice for vegetarians. Being chocoholics we particularly enjoyed the desserts! Mmmm! Some reviews say that the food and drink are expensive, but we found the prices very reasonable and the food is top class. The Chinese restaurant, Ming Court, is a must…the best Chinese we have ever had!
There is plenty to do at Kurumba. As a treat we booked the hot stone massage for two – quite expensive but worth it. You get an hour prior to the massage to use the Jacuzzi and steam room. All very relaxing! Feeling more adventurous and energised we hired a two man kayak and went around the island (this is very good if you can master steering it…I didn’t! I left my boyfriend to do the work while I laid back to catch the sun).
All in all the holiday was fantastic and we have lots of happy memories. The crystal clear water of the sea and the white sandy beaches are divine. The staff are amazing and the food is gorgeous. The service we received was outstanding. We haven’t got a bad word to say about our experience at Kurumba. We had high hopes for our holiday, but Kurumba was way beyond our expectations. We are definitely returning next year and we can’t wait!!!
Rach and Matt
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurumba is Maldives' very first resort. Located just 10-minutes from the airport with luxury speedboat transfers available 24 hours a day. Explore our vibrant house reef. Relaxing on the white sandy beach. Swimming in our protected crystal clear lagoon. Treat yourself to an exquisite Maldivian spa treatment. Be energized with the daily scheduled activities, watersports, excursions or scuba diving. Be inspired by the Maldives culture, local food, art and dance. Nine styles of accommodation are spread amongst the island's lush tropical gardens. Eight restaurants, three bars, Maldives best nightly entertainment scene, Kurumba is a perfect holiday destination. Kurumba is the Maldives in Full Colour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Kurumba Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurumba Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Hotel