4,344 results
All reviews deluxe bungalow beach bar fish close to the airport coconut sorbet outdoor shower kids club our honeymoon male airport dine around option choice of restaurants main restaurant water sports champagne breakfast indian restaurant tennis courts sunset cruise
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Excellent service, people are very friendly and helpful!!

3  Thank efmar
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This was our first visit to the Maldives and we were not disappointed. Kurumba was an excellent choice with lush vegetation and clear blue water that really set the stage for a truly tropical paradise. Our 4 day visit in a Deluxe Bungalow was everything we had hoped for, the room was spacious and we loved the outdoor shower. The meal plan was half board and it was the perfect choice for us. The main dining room was well managed and offered many choices to please everyone. We had an excellent dinner at the Italian restaurant and great pizza by the pool. The staff was caring and attentive to detail that made our stay a memorable one. The grounds were pristine and well kept.
The evening breeze on the dock along with the view was another favorite. Snorkeling was truly amazing and so close to shore. The perfect relaxing getaway.

1  Thank travelbum84
Reviewed September 11, 2010

We've recently come back from a 7 night bed and breakfast stay at Kurumba and are already missing it so much!! Booked through Kuoni (with some Quidco cashback!) with flights from Monarch.
This is our second time to Kurumba in 3 years and quite frankly, any other holiday we have been on just does not compare. We love it there!! The location is pretty close to Male, meaning a few aircraft passing over during the day, but there's only about 10 seconds of noise each time. However, the upside is it only takes 10mins to transfer from the aiport - which is a huge plus esp. after a 10hr flight.
The room we had (Deluxe room - 239) was great - it was really close to the beach, had a view on the opposite side to Male and was very well kempt. There are 7 restaurants... the Indian was great, while the Beach Bar food during the evening (pizza's etc) was decent value for money.
Kurumba's staff are second to none. They are always smiling and willing to help. The junior staff can be a little shy and some need a little more training in English (then again I don't speak Dhivehi!). I would like to mention one exceptional member of staff - Fernando, who waited on us and made sure everything was perfect.
Overall, fantastic holiday on a stunning island. We recommend going scuba diving (look out for giant turtles), snorkelling and para-sailing. The spa and pool are great too. Enjoy!!!!!!!! Something tells me that we'll be back someday soon :-)

4  Thank fortunefaded
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I arranged our trip at the Kurumba based on all the great reviews of past guests on Tripadvisor. Our trip was special as it was my spouses 40th Birthday and our Anniversary at the same time. I had contacted the Kurumba beforehand to make sure we got a great room (deluxe bungalow on beach facing away from Male and facing sunset) and had arranged a surprise private dinner cruise for my spouses birthday. The management staff appreciated how important the occassion was and they arranged an amazing bungalow for us (175) & played along to keep all my plans a secret from my spouse. On our arrival, everything was as we had expected it to be, a beautiful resort (the only issue anyone may have is with the planes flying over due to proximity to Male), a beautiful clean room facing the ocean, friendly staff, great house reef just outside our bungalow & lovely food in the restaurants.

We had just started to get to know the staff when the strike started. Management informed us that a strike on a resort was illegal under Maldivian law, so they had not expected it but they assured us that they were negotiating with the strike organisers to have a speedy resolution and that they had arranged for other staff from other islands to keep the resort running.

On the day of my spouses 40th birthday, I was informed by the F&B Manager (Dephine) that the Kurumba would not be able to do our surprise private dinner cruise but she had managed to organise for Baros's staff to do the cruise and to upgrade the experience to a 7 course degustation dinner with canapes, champagne and wine at the Lighthouse Restaurant at Baros (which i later found out was very famous) overlooking the sunset - at no extra cost. Although I was a bit apprehensive at the sudden change, we had the most magical evening and it was better than we could have imagined. I (and i can only speak for our experience) found it admirable that despite the adversity that was happening at the resort, management still appreciated how important the occassion was and had the care & responsibility to make alternative and better arrangements for us.

We were taken back to the Kurumba that night and got a call from the Kuoni representative the next morning telling us that the situation had deteriorated overnight and that guests were being moved off the island and if we were happy with Baros, we would be moved there by the Kurumba to an equivalent room (Baros Villa), same board terms at no extra cost (Baros is a 5 star luxury resort and more expensive). We were moved to Baros that morning but that experience if for another review :) :) :)

As for the rest of our experience at the Kurumba, I have to say that circumstances were extraordinary and my review takes these circumstances into account. It was clear from my own observations that the staff who continued to work were fearful for their safety and I later confirmed with staff members that threats had been made by the strike organisers against them. I do not know if violence actually occurred but I have to say i found it admirable that these people had the dedication and care to keep doing their jobs despite this. Particular staff members who deserve mention are: Delphine (F&B Manager), Mickey (Chinese Rep - who drove staff around to keep them safe), Hillary (at the Seafood Restaurant who kept it manned till the guests left), Mossa (Assistant F&B Manager) Angelo (Kuoni rep who helped out and arranged our transfer to Baros) & Victoria (Resort Managers wife who cleaned our room). Service was obviously not as it should have been but given the circumstances, staff that we engaged still tried their best to accommodate our requests. Overall I have to say that we were treated with a level of care and service that exceeded my expectations of the Kurumba given the circumstances.

With regards to the strike, it is clear that certain staff are unhappy with their conditions and if the resort wishes to keep to keep its top status, they need to do what is necessary to rectify the issues as soon as possible.

Date of stay: August 2010
4  Thank TheLionandTheBear
Reviewed August 31, 2010

I visited Kurumba last week after traveling through Singapore and Sri Lanka. There were only about 60 other guests in the resort as they had been closed for a few days the previous week.

The resort itself is a little older than some in the region but the staff are friendly and the place is well situated close to Male but far enough from the local riff-raff. The house reef isn't extensive but the marine life seem to do OK. Good snorkelling and safe, if tame, swimming.

The major letdown in the resort was the food. I say "letdown" because every resort trumps its food up so much that I was expecting 3 Michelin stars. What I ate was OK, but not great, and a little over-priced I thought. Drinks were good, and the bar staff know how to read their customers well.

In sum, a nice, quiet, friendly part of the Maldives. Good for families and couples looking to relax rather than raise the roof.

Date of stay: August 2010