We stayed in a private villa with jacuzzi (room 266) in mid December 2013 for a week (free wi-fi good connection even for skype video), for the first few days we had rain showers but the remaining days were very sunny and hot. Even in the rain it was still warm outside and the marine life didn't care.
The villa was spacious even for 3 adults and the room sun beds on the beach were in a great position on powdery white sand and nice stretch of sea. Nice touch was the daily staff member bringing round slices of cold fresh fruit to your sun bed on the beach or if you sat by the pool thirst quenching ice fruit shot or lolly pop.
Snorkelling off the house reef was fantastic with many different types of fish.
We stayed half board that suited us well. We could have breakfast at either the main buffet or at Ocean Grill, both were good, especially enjoyed the never ending champagne. Dinner was in the main buffet where the selection changed daily, although meat was served on the rare side and dishes were often spicy. Also included were free daily cocktails at Beach bar 5-7pm where we were usually served by Akter who surely deserved employee of the month, he was always there with a ready smile.
We celebrated a birthday while there and were presented with a cake while at the dinner buffet by the lady greeter (sorry didn't catch her name but she was also very friendly) and had the staff sing Happy Birthday.
We did the dolphin watching, which we booked late (morning of the tour), and meant we were some of the last to board the boat and had limited choice of where to sit. I'm not sure I would do this again but then I have seen dolphins before and it did mean we got to see some other islands from the boat on passing. Special mention to Faud on the boat who looked after us.
There were lots of families at Kurumba, especially with young children although it didn't seem filled with screaming kids. A largely Russian clientèle. We were slightly aghast at the planes taking off over head on the first day but by day 3 we didn't even notice them.
The only down side to the holiday were the biting insects. Having been to the Sheraton which is very close by and not been bitten once we didn't take any mossie repellent with us this time. At Kurumba we suffered badly with bites although on our last day the staff were spraying the vegetation. If we went again we would definitely take repellent with us. Also there were no shops selling soft drinks around the island these had to be collected from the bar or taken out of the mini bar, which only had a very limited selection.
A good solid holiday, excellent marine life, good room, beautiful beach, so-so weather mid December, but would go again at same time of year and to Kurumba.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kurumba is Maldives' very first resort. Located just 10-minutes from the airport with luxury speedboat transfers available 24 hours a day. Explore our vibrant house reef. Relaxing on the white sandy beach. Swimming in our protected crystal clear lagoon. Treat yourself to an exquisite Maldivian spa treatment. Be energized with the daily scheduled activities, watersports, excursions or scuba diving. Be inspired by the Maldives culture, local food, art and dance. Nine styles of accommodation are spread amongst the island's lush tropical gardens. Eight restaurants, four bars, Maldives best nightly entertainment scene. Kurumba is a perfect holiday destination. Kurumba is the Maldives in Full Colour. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon, Agoda, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Kurumba Maldives reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Kurumba Maldives Hotel North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Maldives North Male Atoll
- Kurumba Hotel