“Another wonderful stay on Kurumba”
Review of Kurumba Maldives

Kurumba Maldives
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Vihamanafushi
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Having stayed on Kurumba in the past, we returned for the first few nights of our holiday. The location is so convenient - just 10 mins from the airport and we were swimming in the turquoise sea! We stayed in a superior room which was very spacious, with a separate wardrobe/dressing area and a lovely half-outdoor bathroom.

The food, service is great and gym facilities and spa are all excellent.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms down by the Sand bar rather than those facing the airport and Male.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Keen_Bean_Traveller

Reviewed May 12, 2013

In summary, this is a great resort to stay at for couples or families (even with very young children). The staff are ever so friendly, nothing is ever to much to ask of them, and at times you feel they cannot do enough for you! This attitude is emulated all around the resort through all the staff no matter if you are being served at the bar or passing a gardener on the way to your room. It is not clear if we will return to the Maldives in the future, but this is a resort we will definitely recommend to anyone looking to visit this wonderful and beautiful country

We recently spent 4 days at Kurumba. The Maldives was a last minute alternative to where we had originally planned to go. On a short 10day booking notice, Kurumba offered the type of accommodation and budget we were on. I read several tripadvisor reviews on a host of resorts but Kurumba seemed to fit in the best. We opted for a private villa w/ jacuzzi in the end. Our flight landed in the morning and transfer to the hotel was quick and transportation by yacht was an added bonus. When we arrived our room was not quite ready so they gave us a deluxe bungalow to relax and shower in until it was.

Accommodation:
When we got to the villa I was totally amazed. Spacious, comfortable bed, huge bathroom and the outdoor jacuzzi + shower was well worth the extra money. The villa opens up to a spacious balcony with sofas and a makeshift bed to relax on. 20meters away are your own numbered beach loungers to which another 10 meters and you are in the water. The beach on this side of the island was pristine to say the least, and the water was as clear, if not clearer, than a swimming pool, but the swimming area was not that far out. Therefore you can swim or walk a few minutes to the left and have much more room to swim around in. The cleaning services were next to none, once in the morning, and once in the evening before dinner (turndown). It is also a quieter side of the island as not as many rooms and also on the side facing away from the airport. However you could not hear any plans if you were indoors.

Food:
We chose the Dine Around All Inclusive package which allowed us use of all 7 dining options. We ate at the Ocean Grill for Breakfast once but we found the main restaurant to have more choice, so we ate there for the rest of our stay. Lunch was split between ocean grill/ main restaurant + dine in but all were good food and service. The buffet service definitely had a lot of choice. For dinner we tried, La Cucina (Italian), Ming Court (Chinese), Ocean Grill (Seafood + others) and Hamakaze (Japanese). Best food was certainly at La Cucina. We did not have the opportunity to try Mahal (Indian) or the arabic restaurant. We also enjoyed a drink at the Sand Bar during the afternoons or to watch the beautiful sunset. And continued to the walk to our room. It would have been nice to see some traditional Maldivian food on the menu as we would have loved to sample some.

Activities:
There is a vast variety of activities to do on the island, so much that even a week or two here and you would not get bored. They have a complete spa, gym, recreation center, pool table, ping pong table, two swimming pools, tennis courts, dive center, snorkelling center, and a wide variety of water sports. I did 3 dives with Euro Divers, and they were excellent. The dive instructors were very well versed on the sites and the crew were very accommodating. We also did a private snorkelling tour of turtle reef (1.5hours) + my girlfriend tried the water skiing. We also had massages at the spa, very well received by both of us. Due to some ongoing construction at the resort (expanding Hamakaze) the hotel offered us an activity of our choice for free due to any inconvenience caused. For our last day, we chose the sunset cruise as our free activity. This included free champagne and we got to see loads of spinner dolphins and we spotted a few whales as well.

Location:
Yes it is only 15-20mins from the airport, and yes you can see and hear planes throughout the day. However, it is not a busy airport and you probably get 2-3 planes an hour during the busiest parts of the day. This should NOT deter you from staying at this resort. Also note that most resorts in the area will have the same sort of air traffic around. The resort may seem small but it is quite big. It took us around 20-25 minutes to walk around it entirely. We would normally have lunch and then walk around to the sand bar and then to our room.

All in all this was a fantastic holiday at a fantastic resort. The management have obviously strived to present it in a specific way, and this is felt all throughout your stay at every corner of the resort and though all of the staff. Should we ever return to the Maldives, this will definitely be top of our list.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are well located and near the main area and restaurants. Deluxe bungalows should offer...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nasib A
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I was very pleased and impressed with Kurumba Maldives resort. The service is impeccable, everyone is so nice and welcoming. We had a wedding ceremony that was sweet and charming as well as organized where I didn't have to worry about a thing. The Water is spectacular, so clean and warm. We had some patchy weather so they sent out flyers of activities such as yoga, happy hour or live music. We were never bored. The resort itself is beautiful. Very lush. I think what impressed me most is how well run the resort is. The staff remembers every detail about you, your needs and your experience. It made me feel like I wasn't just another customer but the welcomed guest.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank TonyaNguyen
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Kurumba is located close to the aiport. It is popular with Russian tourists and attracts not only honeymooners, but also families with older children or even younger children. I am very happy with my room, because the beautiful beach can be seen clearly from the room, and is only 5m away from the verandah. There is also a beautiful courtyard shower where I can look up to the blue sky while showering. For the price paid, it is definitely value for money. The buffet breakfast offers diverse selection. My favorites are omelette, blueberry pancakes, and fresh watermelon juice. Indian and Chinese options are also available. When the weather was not good, Kurumba provided alternative interesting activities such as painting, yoga, cooking, or snorkelling lesson. All staff are very friendly. On a hot afternoon, one staff handed out cold fresh pineapples to guests sunbathing on the beach. There are plenty of coconut trees on the island, and even though they are not for sale, you can ask staff for some. I tried all the restaurants here and they all provided wonderful food.

What's lacking for me in terms of ambience is the number of families with young children in this resort. In public venues, sometimes I could hear children crying and at the beach bar, some families brought their kids at night. It's not as posh as I expected. Night entertainment practically does not exist. A dance club would be ideal. But then again, this resort is for everyone: young and old, families or singles. Other activities that I would like to see include private yacht sailing, bike/buggy for rental, fresh coconut juice on the menu, and Maldivian food.

Room Tip: Superior Rooms
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Gorgota
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We had a lovely week at this property last month. All of the touches were amazing. The meet and greet was prompt and courteous. The boat fast and efficient. Being able to check in immediately after an overnight flight was a treat, and doing the check in right in our villa was lovely. We cannot say enough good things about the staff - they were prompt, efficient, courteous, and respectful. In particular we give high marks to the in-room dining staff for thinking of all the extra touches and remembering our preferences. We will be coming back to stay again in the near future, and look forward to it very much.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a deluxe pool villa... we had number 186 and it was lovely and private.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Spirit2006
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We went for a family holiday, mum dad brother his wife, his little boy (2 yr old) and me and my husband with our three year old. I must mention, that my mum and husband are vegetarian.
We booked a dine all round package and 3 beach front bungalows. The bungalows were beautiful, loved the outdoor shower and the beach is literally at your door, very well hidden from the adjoining bungalows too.We had requested for the bungalows facing away from the harbour/Male and our requested was honoured last minute and cant stress enough how good that choice turned out to be.The sunset is beautiful even just lying on your bed.Lovely Molton Brown essentials in the bathroom, don't bother taking lots of toiletries.
The snorkelling equipment is free and is great, we did bring our own masks etc but ended up using theirs, unlike previous reviews, the equipment can be taken at the beginning of your trip and returned at the end of your holiday and not everyday, which is great and convenient. They also conduct free snorkelling lessons at the pool near the Maja kids.The teacher also takes people for snorkelling trips which we didn't do but should be good, as she knew what she was doing.
The food was divine, we had breakfast everyday at the Ocean grill, and its to die for, they also had an indian vegetarian option available, great for mum and hubby.The ocean grill breakfast is included with the beachfront bungalows.
By the end of my trip i realised its easier to ask for what exactly you wanted and they'd do it, than try to alter what they had on the menu, specially for my daughter.A tip that a friend gave us worked a treat,- keep $1 notes with you and tip whenever suitable, the service is great anyway but tipping makes it even better.
Lots of trips to do, my dad n brother did sunset fishing trip and they were served all those beautiful fish grilled in the style you like with fruit and veg next day for lunch. My brother caught four n we had a tough time trying to eat those, but nothing beats the whole fish caught by yourself.
We had a late night flight and our other family members had an afternoon one, we were really impressed when they let us stay in the same room till we checked out at 9.pm and didn't charge extra for the food either as we were travelling with a family and had a small child. Really appreciated. Thank you Kurumba. As that last bit could have left a abotter taste if we had t pay extras at the end.
The beachfront bar is really nice, specially the mattress type area overlooking the sea, had a lots of late night sheesha there.
All the restaurants were great but Ocean grill for dinner beats all for me, a seafood lover.
Its relly great and you definitely wont regret choosing it, the dine all round is expensive but the food turns out costing the same if not more if you pay as you go..
They do really ice touches like serving slices of watermelon or kiwi juice at the beach during daytime, a little something which is unexpected but very nice.
There is a doctor on the island, so don't even worry about taking medicines etc, everything is thought of.
The coconut icecream at the arrival is yummy, have to say.
All in all a great great trip!! Just go for it and you wont regret it!!

Room Tip: Ask for Beachfront bungalows facing away from Male and Harbour,overlooking nothing but the sea and a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank divz99
Reviewed May 6, 2013

After a fantastic 3 week stay at Kurumba last year, I decided to return last month.
This time I stayed for 17 nights and am happy to share the resort had got even better.

Kurumba had clearly re-invested money back into the hotel, which is great to see.
The new look bar was more intimate and romantic, the new decor was classy and modern, but the great staff and fab service remained unchanged.

The room was very nice. Clean, good mattress, I slept very well.
To be fair, Maldives, Beach, Snorkeling, great food, a few cheeky beverages... Who wouldn't sleep like a baby! The room boy even remembered me and did a lovely "welcome back to Kurumba" bed decoration. Only a small thing, but a really nice touch that made me smile.

The Gym equipment had been upgraded, although before it was the same quality that I have in my building in Dubai!!! There were brand new running machines in the gym, which I used, but nowhere near enough...!!

The water sports guy was also very friendly and took us out for a great snorkel trip, I don't think I will ever get tired of Snorkeling in Maldives!

One of the biggest improvements was the food... I really enjoyed it last time, but things had really ramped up another level. I was really shocked by the buffet, just how much it had developed since last September. Every day I went there was awesome; fresh, tasty, vibrant & a massive selection. Even simple things like a beef stew that you didn't need a knife to cut the beef with & chicken that was still moist and juicy. It was not "less expensive" items as you might expect on a buffet, it was varied daily, good quality & always a different live cooking station; The Vietnamese Noodle Soup Station was one of my favourites, or maybe the roast duck pancakes which were stuffed full of duck!

It is reasons like these why the new chef needs to help me purchase new clothes as I have stuffed my face on his great food and no longer fit into some clothes... Obviously he didn't stand there and force me to have 2-3 plates, but it IS HIS FAULT that is was all so appealing.

The Arabic restaurant was also really cool. Great decor, it was a break from seeing beaches and water all day, food was tasty and fun and service again very good.

The Maldivian Tuna Curry for room service was also an awesome surprise.
Well worth ordering for the days you just don't want to see another person and hide in your room... If you enjoy a little spice, this rocks!!

Overall, the quality of the food would not look out of place even in Dubai.

Great trip, awesome resort, super friendly staff, awesome food.... Well Chuffed...!
I am now back pounding the tread mill to remove my love handles in preparation for my next visit to Kurumba....!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MrFoodieDxb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vihamanafushi
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Resort & Spa
Sheraton Maldives Full Moon Reso...
#1 of 1 in Furanafushi Island
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Maldives
Holiday Inn Resort Kandooma Mald...
#1 of 1 in Kandoomaafushi Island
#1 of 1 in Meerufenfushi
Baros Maldives
Baros Maldives
#1 of 1 in Baros Island

Been to Kurumba Maldives? Share your experiences!