“late evening beers”
Review of The Cherry Tree

The Cherry Tree
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rowledge
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Indian
Dining options: Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: We provide authentic Indian food,free home delivery within 3 miles radius.
Essex, United Kingdom
“late evening beers”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I was visiting a friend who lives locally. We visited here late on a saturday evening, about 9:30 for drinks.

Was pleasantly surprised to walk into a nice local atmosphere on a saturday evening.

Quick, friendly service and decent range of drinks.

Nice clean place and facilities.

Would recommend. Next time Ill get here earlier and try the food!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank urbanlookout
Richard R, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank for your review, we've worked hard to change the image and decor of the pub, and whilst there's more to do - only a year old - it's nice when customers comment.

Real ales change monthly, our food is all prep'ed and cooked in our kitchen, we have live music the first Friday of each month and Sky Sports, (which is used considerately) so we show some key live sport......so there are a few reasons to visit us again!

Many thanks

Aldershot, United Kingdom
“Distinctively average”
Reviewed May 5, 2014

After seeing the positive reviews we decided to try out the Cherry Tree on a Bank Holiday Monday, we arrived for lunch at 12.30, the pub was not too busy so we placed our food order immediately and ordered our drinks while we waited for our food. After waiting for over an hour for our food to arrive and seeing food being brought out the kitchen that had been ordered long after we had ordered we questioned the barman as to how long the food would be and was met with the response of, what was it you ordered again!! After being told the food was on it's way it finally arrived at 2.00pm a whole hour and a half since we had ordered with no apology or explanation as to why it had taken so long. The food was a big disappointment, having asked for no chorizo with my wife's sea bass we got a mountain of it!!! The chicken and mash potato was barely the size of a normal starter, it was ok but nothing special and unfortunately our kids meal was cold! Unfortunately we could not see who was really in charge so did not complain at the time, so we paid our bill and left. It just felt such a let down, I am sure this could be a one off, and my inclination is that they may have possibly forgot our food order, but to have no apology or explanation is not really acceptable should this have been the case, we will not be returning!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank David B
Dear David,

I am sorry that your visit delivered poor service and you weren't happy with the standard of food.

The day in question both my fiancee and I had an important prior family commitment so could not work, we had only a couple of bookings and if honest were light a senior member of staff to manage the front of house. The barman in question within your review has actually left the business recently.

Since your review and apologies for not replying sooner, we have taken your comments on board about portion size for certain dishes and also changed a number of other dishes on the menu. We will also take more responsibility in training staff on key details.

I am sorry you won't be back. Around 90% of our reviews are positive which reflects the overall business. Sometimes, things can go wrong and I apologise for it happening on your visit.

“Average Experience”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Visited with my partner, and friends I have to say it was an average experience. Average. Felt the staff were a bit lack lustre and the pub tired and a little gloomy... However we had a good night the food was ok and ordinary pub grub slightly overpriced but tasty.

Would I go back ? Yes Would it be my first choice ? No.

Other good places nearby that would be my first choice.

1 Thank Paul J
Dear Paul,

Thank you for your review and sorry you felt the experience was just 'average.' We cost each plate of food, the ingredients and also factor preparation i.e. the chef's time to make / cook and we try to be as competitive as we can be with pricing. We also see what deals are available with our Farnham fish supplier and our butcher - Micheal Humphries - down the road. I do admit some of our meat dishes towards the top end for pub pricing, but given the quality of the meat I believe customers would pay a £1 or 2 more for quality.

In terms of the staff being lackluster I am sorry. I am taking on board and number of comments within reviews on this site and we're shortly having a staff day out both for training and 'fun' purposes.......so we'll keep working on things.

There is a lot of dining and drinking choice around the area, but I hope you'll visit us again and give us a chance to change your mind.

Camberley, United Kingdom
“Great All Round”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Although I have reviewed this excellent pub/restaurant previously on a first visit, I have become a regular visitor despite it being some distance from home it is well worth the traveling to and from.
Richard and Domine have really turned this place around. Irrespective of the frequency of your visits or whether you are a first time visitor you can be assured of a warm welcome from them and their friendly staff.
In these days of declining pubs, it has become those that offer the best of both, a friendly bar to have a casual drink an excellent food with service to equal in a very pleasant atmosphere that will survive and there is little doubt that while Richard and Domine are at the helm, the Cherry Tree will definitely be a survivor. Every time we arrive, when we leave we are already looking forward to our next visit. Thanks to you all at the Cherry Tree for always making us so welcome.

3 Thank Bob L
Thanks Bob,

We are delighted that our small pub has made it onto your 'chosen pub circuit' and thank you for the kind comments. It's been hard work in the space of just under a year, especially as it's our first pub and there's lots of competition from other really good pubs and restaurants in the area.

Look forward to seeing you again......although I must confess I've lost our bet and someone's had some of that Stones ginger wine!

London, England, United Kingdom
“Good pub grub”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We visited for my birthday and we arrived late. Good news was the Cherry Tree were running late too. A complimentary glass of prosseco and snacks greeted us followed by good food and service. We had a great time as a family of four, hope you do too!

2 Thank Sinead H
Richard R, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments, although a short while back!

There will be the odd occasion on very busy days when our kitchen is stretched or tables over run, so glad you enjoyed the prosecco and nibbles along with the meal.

Hope to see you again.