“Quality counts!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Rowledge
Cuisines: British, Bar
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We provide authentic Indian food,free home delivery within 3 miles radius.
Guildford
“Quality counts!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

That heart stopping moment when your reservation isn’t in the book. Why O why?, especially when you have left your phone number. Bambi, the waiter, recovers and you are shown into a warm intimate room, seduced by the soft music and the gentle conversation of other diners. Very palatable house white follows, a stab of olives and the troubles of the day are suddenly behind. Too few starter choices but a great mix of menu mains and specials and we’re off !! Our main courses would have graced the best of French restaurants…sauces to die for, and plenty of it. So nice not to be so portion poor. The desserts too were unfussy but hit the spot. Will definitely return.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Long wait”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Firstly the food was good enough however the service was lacking, the place was busy and we waited 45 minutes for our meal and when we explained we had waited a while we were told that everyone had arrived at once and they had had a few people turning up who had not booked which he couldn't anticipate, but surely this is the case with all restaurants, don't think we were the only ones who had waited a long time as the table next to us had bought the children some crisps before their lunch arrived and they said they had been waiting an hour. Then when we asked for the bill it didn't materialise for a while and we had to go to the bar ourselves and pay as we didn't want to wait any longer.

1 Thank lynnie30
Hampshire
“Appalling”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Myself and my partner visited this pub for lunch today. It was to celebrate his birthday and we were very much looking forward to a pleasant time. We ordered food and my partner ordered the calves liver. When it was presented to him, there were two rashers of bacon and only three very small pieces of liver on the plate. Not acceptable given the £15 price tag. When we tried to complain the young male serving was clearly snowed under with the half term lunchtime rush. I explained that this was my partner's birthday and the extremely trite reply came straight back from him of" what do you want me to do- stick a candle in it?"
I asked to speak with manager- he told me he was the manager. I asked to speak with the owner who then came to see us. Clearly he was mortified about the comment of his employee, who came over and then tried to justify his actions by saying that he was in the middle of serving someone else!!!
Needless to say we left.
From what I saw, the food looked good- but very small portions and very pricey.
And, frankly why bother going when there are many other places to go where your custom is valued......

2 Thank HampshireCouple10
Richard R, Owner at The Cherry Tree, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your response as we welcome constructive criticism as much as praise from customers.

As we discussed whilst you were leaving the pub, I was exceptionally disappointed that our leading barman / waiter acted and spoke in such way. It is the first (and only) time he has or will be allowed to speak to anyone in that manner. We are known for our customer service - as you can see from the other 20 plus reviews - and again, I can only apologise unreservedly.

His tips for that lunch service were put into a charity box and he was left in no doubt about my feelings when we spoke at the end of his shift.

In terms of the portion size, I'm sorry you felt these were too small. I can't specifically comment on your husbands plate but assume you didn't have any issues with yours?

Our calves liver is a premium item as we only source the best (like all of our meat) from award winning local butcher Micheal Humphries and using lower end liver cuts results in tough, sinewy texture. His portion may have been under, but again we pride ourselves in giving fair to generous portions as past reviews and comments testify.

I will in turn be speaking to our kitchen team on this point to ensure tighter control and honest portions.

By the tone of your email, I assume you will not want to return. However, if my response, along with the historical commentary on this site persuades your otherwise, please call myself - Richard - and I will personally handle your dining experience from start to finish.

Kind regards

Richard
Farnham, United Kingdom
“The perfect place for a birthday bash!”
Reviewed February 17, 2014

I wanted somewhere to hold a birthday bash, nothing too fancy, wasn't interested in a meal, just a place for 20 of us to meet, catchup over a few drinks and have a few laughs. Thats exactly what I got and more! The Cherry Tree provided an awesome selection of canapés, all beautifully served, reserved the snug area of the bar, and were attentive in serving drinks for our group all night. It was perfect, exactly what i wanted, in fact better! Everyone loved the food, the atmosphere was great, we all had a great time.

If you are looking for something a little less formal than the traditional meal for a birthday/occasion, I would definitely consider the cherry tree. They can't do enough for you and go to great lengths to make it exactly the evening you want. We'll be back for sure!

1 Thank CEeaton
Farnham
“Lovely village pub”
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Visited for the first time for a family birthday. First impressions were excellent. This place has a lovely ambience, it is clean, nicely decorated and well laid out. All this was topped off by a very warm welcome as we entered from the young barman. The restaurant area had a large log fire but I have to say was on the cold side especially for this in the party near the window. I would suggest some background heating is required.
The service was friendly, attentive and efficient. The food was very well presented and the potion sizes just right and the prices competitive.
Will definately visit again.