“delicious lunch”
Review of Haven Restaurant

Haven Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Cellardyke
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Scottish
Good for: Scenic view, Families with children, Romantic, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“delicious lunch”
Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Although the line-caught mackerel and the lobster were gone by the time we arrived -- but still listed on the board outside -- the lunch was very fine: generous servings of subtle smoked-mackerel pate, tender mussels in broth, and slices of beef with a rich, flavorful red-wine sauce. Excellent food cooked to order and served without fanfare in a pleasant room overlooking the little harbor and lined with interesting old photographs. We'll go back.

Visited August 2013

Anstruther, United Kingdom
“Great Food.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Enjoyed a great meal last night with family in the haven,the food was 1st class and cooked to perfection.The men started with mussels which my son-in-law said was the best he had ever tasted,my daughter enjoyed home made pate while i had strawberry goats cheese and pomegranate salad (which i have had before) they were all superb.Mains Myself and my daughter had pork chop with blackpudding and it was amazing,My husband had the whole mackerel and my son-in-law had the steak pie all were great.This is our 3rd time for a meal and it just gets better,we wanted local lobster which we have had before but it was all finished as they are really busy.a lovely mix of locals and holiday makers so remember to book,we will be back soon as they are a lovely couple who owns the Haven and great food.

Sydney, Australia
“My most extraordinary lobster meal ever”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have had a lot of funny experiences over the years in restaurants, however this was extraordinary. We stayed in Cellardyke, renting a cottage for the week, and walked past the Haven Restaurant every day, where we saw that local fish was served. There are no shops in this sleepy little village, which has the prettiest protected stonewalled harbour. The Haven Restaurant is right on the harbour front and was always going to be a place for us to visit. Our first visit to the Haven Restaurant was just to pop in and have a look about. We ordered a drink from the bar and had a peaceful time sitting in the lovely beer garden, enjoying the warm afternoon sunshine.

Two days later we booked a table for 8pm. We were ushered into a very busy restaurant. Our waitress greeted us with the remark that dinner would take 40 minutes to arrive, giving us the opportunity, I suppose, to leave at that point. However we persisted, and with our order placed my husband popped the timer on his watch. We observed, and who couldn't (?), a noisy table of adults and children nearby waiting for their meals. Time went by and the children's noise hit a crescendo at about high 'C'. Of course this was not the restaurant's fault that the children were fidgety. One child had already filled in a colouring book, and by 40 minutes their meal still had not come. By this stage we had been served our shared entree of garlic prawns. I like my prawns peeled, and object to them being served unpeeled, so we were not off to a great start. However they were tasty.

We then observed our fellow diners meal arrived in stages, meaning that the children's pizzas and one adults 'quiche' arrived, then about five minutes later two more main meals arrived and still other adults at the table waited to be served. I never want to wait an hour to be served quiche, my husband topped my remark by saying he would never order quiche. They must have waited over an hour for their meal, I don't know if they even ordered entree as they had eaten nothing in the hour we had been there. However it was unacceptable that the meals be served in such a convoluted manner. The waitress did apologise to them for the problems ensuing in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, my husband and I were eeking out a bottle of white wine by ordering ice. Our meal finally arrived one hour and five minutes from the time of ordering. I had ordered the local lobster and my husband, the steamed mackerel - both listed on the A-frame advertisement outside the restaurant.

A whole small red lobster was served to me on a plate with a finger bowl, a small side salad, some mayonnaise, a few slices of bread and some implements. Now in itself this is not so extraordinary, until you realise that the lobster is whole, uncut and uncleaned! I have never cut, let alone cleaned a lobster at the dinner table before. Mostly it has been done by way of a fight at the kitchen sink or by our fishmonger. I rolled up my sleeves and began operating. Two finger bowls later the green slime that oozed out was mostly gone, however no dunking could really remove the bright green colour from the lobster flesh, and no tissue wiping would clean the white plate the lobster was served on. My husband was most encouraging during the whole procedure, claiming that the lobster could be stuffed with spinach. I hadn't actually considered that, but I doubted it! No matter, the spinach was now in the finger bowl and the little lump of lobster flesh was placed pathetically upon the smeared white plate beside the wreckage of the shell. I then performed a marvellous operation on the claws and removed them like an expert, one came out entirely whole to rapturous applause from my husband. Any noise we were making was of course superfluous to the thundering noise nearby where the children had a second wind, and were playing chasings around the table.

I don't think I can ever really eat lobster with any enjoyment ever again. However, my husband was enjoying his mackerel dinner. Commenting that it was absolutely delicious, in fact, the most delicious steamed fish dinner he has ever had. I am quite serious, that this happened, it was almost comical. I was having trouble absorbing his comments in the wake of my recent ordeal. At no point was I able to resurrect my meal and place the lobster decorously into the shell to enhance my eating experience. Wet lobster is no delicacy. However, that is not the fault of the chef, becase I was the one that dunked it in my finger bowl! But then what did the chef really do to this little lobster I was served, apart from placing it in boiling water?

Finally our meal was over, we declined dessert, and my husband couldn't help himself and asked the waitress whether the lobster was stuffed with spinach? She answered him honestly, explaining that sometimes the guts come out surprisingly green. He summed it up, "well at least you know the lobster was fresh and enjoyed its last meal of seaweed somewhere out there," as he gesticulated to the harbour!

This extraordinary experience tops my list of memorable restaurant meals.

2 Thank charlie282000
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Haven Restaurant Cellardyke”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Went to The Haven for a family meal after reading very favourable reviews. Big mistake! We waited an hour on our starters, and when we enquired about the delay were told that the kitchen was in 'meltdown'! Service was poor, although the single waitress on duty was trying her very best to cope. When the main courses arrived, one of them was wrong and another delay ensued. The Manager eventually arrived to apologise for delay, but the damage had been done by then. The food itself was actually fairly good, but overall, not an enjoyable eating experience.

• Visited July 2013
St Andrews
“Nearly didn't happen”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

My friend and I were attending the Pittenweem Art Festival and turned up on a Monday night without a reservation . We had been before and had enjoyed it . The usual problem with parking but we parked on the double yellow line anyway . At 6.30 we asked for a table for 2 to be told by the young man we could not get anything until 8.15 when the dining room was currently empty . We started back down the stairs complaining when a lady 9Im assume the owner or manager ) intervened and said of course we could get a table. The food was good as usual . We had a nice window table looking on to the harbour . It did become busy later but the service was good . I guess I will have to book in future even on a Monday .