“A Great Place to Unwind”

Quintessentials Bed and Breakfast and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 East Marion B&B and Inns
Brooklyn
“A Great Place to Unwind”
Reviewed October 24, 2011

I stayed in the Brandon Room which was spacious and comfortable. The host, Sylvia, was the right balance of attentive and withdrawn (she gives you your space). I had two spa services (facial and massage) which were professionally performed and reasonably priced. Breakfast was delicious, but served (I thought) a little late, @ 9:45 a.m. I'd go back in a heartbeat though.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank kiskatomcreek

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 31, 2011

I stayed at Quintessentials during the North Fork's House and Garden Tour. Let me tell you, Sylvia has one of the most magnificent gardens that I have ever seen. There is a lovely outdoor sitting space with a cooling fan where I enjoyed brownies and lemonade. The house was spotless and fabulous. We had her famed corn beef hash in the morning and I particularly loved the sweet bread and the mint infused water (so refreshing)! It was quite a relaxing getaway from my busy life in the city. I loved using the jaccuzzi jet tub to relax and wind down. Definitely a great place to stay, especially in the summer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank MaddyMonty
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 9, 2011

My friend and I brought our daughters to celebrate their 21st birthdays. Quintessentials was perfect: low key and very relaxing. Right from the start we felt welcome. The bedrooms were clean and decorated in soothing color. Silvia made a hard-to-get reservation for Friday night at a terrific local restaurant, The Frisky Oyster, Breakfast on the patio Saturday morning was delicious and bountiful. We all had great massages in the two massage rooms and then visited a number of local wineries.

Sunday it rained so we had breakfast, again delicious, in the dining room on a beautifully set table.

We were looking for a relaxing, low key weekend to unwind and Quintessentials was the perfect spot. Silvia was a charming but not obtrusive hostess. Will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank LongIslandprof
Reviewed August 1, 2011

Please consider my suggestions before booking rooms here.
1) far from the beach- a car is a must!
2) this place is downright spooky. I know what one might think that I am very hard to please but no it is not it. The owner, Sylvia, who seems sweeter than honey on the phone is a very bad, cold, incompassionable hostess. Example 1: I cut myself . I grabbed the first towel I saw to stop the bleeding. She charged me $30 for one towel, claiming that blood stains ruined her property.

Example 2: Sylvia has all these insane rules regarding locking the front door. She scolds her guests if the door is left opened.

Example 3: sylvia does not let her guests keep luggage for the day inside upon a check out.

She also thinks that her company is absolutely necessary at breakfast. She sits with you and feeds you not only bad spoiled tomatoes but also her fairy tales of her child hood. If you ask me, I can live without them.

Her garden is roomy but the insects bite you to death. Do not sit out after dark.

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank Traveler090968
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 27, 2011

This was an excellent place to stay. Quiet, relaxing and very helpful. One feature that I really liked was that they had a little convenience store right next door where one could get papers, etc. The backyard was very big and there were gazebos, pagodas with rocking chairs, a nice big hammock. This was a real delight and the breakfasts were first rate! Treat yourself and take a visit.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed November 27, 2010

The home is quaint, quiet and very well appointed. Sylvia was the ultimate hostess providing the most sumptuous breakfasts and teas throughout the day. the grounds were charming reminiscent of Hodges "The Secret Garden'. While walking the grounds my husband and I happened upon a hammock and drifted off to sleep cradled by the lilting sway using the afternoon dappled sunlight as our blanket. I cannot remember a more wonderful nap. We took a tour of several wineries, picked fresh lavender, visited a farm stand for fresh tomatoes, had gelato in the quaint village. dinner was truly an experience the Northfork Table and Inn cannot be missed. This is a Michelin Star worthy meal. The food was delicious and the dessert was incredible.
Back at the spa we had the couples package which Sylvia recommended. The chocolate body wrap, the facials, and massage were incredible. We left the spa area of the cottage feeling like spaghetti. Stress had taken it's toll on my body and face. When we walked out another couple, sitting in the parlor remarked at how my entire face had changed. I apparently looked years younger! Always a bonus.
All and all It was a Quintessential experience.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michelleedu1
Plainview
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Quintessentials was recommended to us by a friend who visited there for a bachelorette party. The inn itself was gorgeous and comfortable...an old-style home with all modern amenities. The breakfasts were outstanding. The suggestions for restaurants and wineries by the innkeeper were spot on. The massage was also top-notch.

But, regardless of the above, it was Sylvia, the innkeeper herself, who made our stay such a pleasure. Just sitting around the breakfast table listening to her stories about celebrities that stayed there and what "normal" things they did (Brad Pitt and Harrison Ford arguing over who was going to clear the table), her visiting Michael Jackson and Miles Davis while she worked in corporate America, and her stories of overly-spiced foods in the Caribbean, Europe and Africa we such a treat.

In short, if you want to get away for a couple of days but still fee like you're at home, this is the perfect place to stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Orient
Fordham House
Fordham House
#1 of 10 in Greenport

Been to Quintessentials Bed and Breakfast and Spa? Share your experiences!