“Authentic Greek cuisine ”

Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: American, Greek, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant in East Marion, NY serves authentic Greek cuisine and a great selection of local wine, local harvest and local seafood on the North Fork of Long Island. The portions are plentiful and great for all occasions! We offer year round indoor dining and either full outdoor dining or covered outdoor dining in our enclosed pavilion. It is heated and available year round for catering. We also cater off-premise in your home, on the waterfront or at your favorite winery.
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

We had lunch here and it was quite good. We had a small plate appetizer of dolmades, tzadziki, and the spinach pies. Very good. Then we all had the souvlaki, some in pita, others on rice. It was all delicious.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank cathyo940
HellenicII, Owner at Hellenic Snack Bar & Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi ,

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Trip Advisor used to send email notifications when someone reviewed my restaurant. I no longer get those notifications.

So Glad you enjoyed everything! Nice selection! I hope to earn that extra star from you down the road.

Reviewed August 31, 2018

My first visit with my wife who was last there 27 years ago. The pita is still as good! We went for lunch and enjoyed the usual Greek fare. The chicken was particularly good. The location is great and we sat outside under the shade.

Hi ,

So glad you've been coming for so many years! I look forward to many more and hope to earn that extra star!

Reviewed August 20, 2018

After eating at the Hellenic for over 25 years, I have decided not to return again. This summer we ate three meals there...all terrible. Tonight, we stopped by. My husband ordered lamb "braised in wine sauce" and I had chicken Souvlaki. My chicken was so dry it was difficult to swallow. I am sure it was not made today...it tasted old. My husband felt the same way about his lamb...he felt it was made a week ago. Terrible. I feel there has been a change in the food,,,it doesn't taste freshly made anymore. On my previous visit, my mom got sick with the meal. It's a shame, this was a landmark restaurant that we visited all year long. After three horrible meals we will not go back.

Hi Phyllis,

Sorry about your experience. We are still the same family-owned restaurant that serves a thousand or more daily, with the same quality food and attention to detail that we strive for and have striven for, for 43 years.

Are we perfect? Far from it! But three strikes? Unheard of until now. You could have cut your loses with one strike had you asked for me or a manager. Sometimes people post negative reviews for an ulterior motive. Kind of hard to believe that you would put yourself through three horrible meals without asking to speak to someone in charge.

Reviewed August 18, 2018

We had a big group of 10 make a last minute visit for dinner. The food was up and down. Highlights include the Saganaki cheese dish and calamari. Entrees were so-so only.

Was surprised at the lackluster service. They seemed to ignore our table and we twice had to get up and walk to maitre'd just to get more water. They were out of some dishes on the menu as well, so hard to judge the full menu.

I don't think you will get a bad meal there, and maybe even a good one, but it is just so-so, and, as one of the other reviewers says, pricing that is consistent with Greenport! (i.e. a bit pricey for what you get)

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your honesty and as I said, I didn't see this until today. I can't go back and try to figure out what went wrong; however, I can ask you to return so that I can ensure that your second opinion of my restaurant is stellar. Please ask for me.

Reviewed August 17, 2018

We stopped here for dinner one night and the food was very good. Portions were quite generous. My wife had the Shrimp Saganaki and she loved it. I had Pork Souvlaki with rice, and the portion was huge. Desserts were nice as well. We would return if we are in the area again.

Hi David ,

Thank you for the review! I hope to see you again and earn that extra star. Sounds like I might be close!