“Great place to stay on the East End - stay there!”

The Blue Inn At North Fork
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Marion
“Great place to stay on the East End - stay there!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed on the second floor in the back building in a very clean and comfortable room. Plenty of space for the two of us. The room seemed newly renovated. We loved having the mini kitchen. The front office staff was friendly and helpful when I called before we arrived to check on places to lock up our bikes. The grounds are beautiful and there are picnic tables and grills available next to the pool.

It was a great launching off point for a bike ride to the Orient Point State Park and a short drive to Greenport and the North Fork Wine Trails. Even though the lavender at the farm next store wasn't blooming while we were there, there was still a lovely scent in the air.

Didn't miss the restaurant or bar, there is a great general store (Fork & Anchor) within walking distance that has amazing sandwiches, great coffee and prepared salads.

An ice maker on the property would be a nice addition, but we were able to pick some up at the Fork & Anchor.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wanderlustisch
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thanks for your recommendation! Comments like these just make my day. We loved having you here, and we hope to welcome you back again soon!

Until then,
Mary, General Manager

P.S. I hear what you're saying about the ice maker. We'll certainly take your suggestion into consideration!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
new york
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We just returned from The Blue Inn in Greenport which is on the North Fork of Long Island. The hotel was immaculate and the bedding very comfortable. The room had a small kitchenette which was convenient.

However, there were a few drawbacks. There was no ice to be found anywhere on the property. The office was closed and there were no ice machines anywhere, not even cube trays in the freezers in the room. Also, every time someone was cooking and set off the fire alarm in their room it was also set off in all of the rooms. It was okay at 6pm but not cool a 7am the next morning. The restaurant and bar were also closed, which was a bit of an inconvenience. The front desk said they were going to reopen sometime during the year. The staff was polite, but not overly friendly.

All in all, the hotel was convenient to the wineries, very clean, affordable and had a nice pool. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms on the second floor have cathedral ceilings which gives the room a larger feel.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I appreciate you speaking up about the lack of ice machines/trays and the smoke alarm situation. We're always open to suggestions on how we can better the guest experience, and I have no doubt your review will help us do just that!

Until next time,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Given how expensive other nearby options were, my friend and I jumped at the chance to book a room for less than $200 in late August. For one, the main building that is featured in all the management photos is very charming and inn-like however most of the rooms are actually in a separate building, which is not so charming and very dated and motel-like.

The room itself was quite small, however it was nice to have a full kitchen including a half-sized fridge and four-top gas burning stove - I've never seen that included in a basic hotel room before. The kitchen is stocked with utensils, a full plate set including wine glasses, dish soap, etc. so it's perfect for people who want to cook a meal or two instead of eating out all the time. The bathroom was a tight squeeze! The bathroom sink was small and offered very little counter space so we kept our toiletries on the kitchen counter instead of within easy reach in the bathroom, which is a bit inconvenient. There was a shower in the bathroom (no tub) and even though the shower was clean, it looked a bit dated and dingy. I also found the water pressure to be on the low side. My major complaint about the room would be the beds - the mattresses were too soft and saggy and the bed frame is an over-sized wood box which both my friend and I very painfully rammed our shins into by accident on two separate occasions! It would be nice if management could pad the bed frames somewhat, especially since the rooms are on the smaller side and hence guests are probably more likely to bump into them.

On the plus side, I think the management tries to make the best out of what they have and so they are generous with toiletries including toothpaste, Scope mouthwash, dental floss, and shower caps, etc. We thought everything in the room was clean and the bedspreads were cute and looked brand new. I also thought it was great that there are picnic tables and barbecue pits on the grounds, which is perfect for groups and families who are looking for a casual, low-key break from the uber fancy and expensive North Fork restaurant offerings. We thought the continental breakfast was a great little perk, although the actual offerings are somewhat spartan : bagels, mini muffins, mini croissants, cereal, oatmeal packets, yogurt, and apples and bananas. It would have been really nice if management provided a toaster for the bagels and some other jam flavors (they had grape only). Tip: for anyone unhappy with the breakfast offerings, there is a super cute deli/cafe called Fork and Anchor, which is a quick 5 minute walk from the Inn.

Our favorite perk was the Inn's location adjacent to a lavender farm. It was so heavenly pulling in to the Inn and smelling air that was so wonderfully fragrant. Overall, my friend and I were both pleased with our experience at the Blue Inn, but we decided that the lavender farm was our favorite part of the trip and would lure us back to a return stay at Blue Inn.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Chau_BK
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
While I'm glad you appreciate our proximity to the lavender farm and range of amenities, I'm sorry the rest of your visit didn't live up to your expectations. We like for each of our guests to feel completely comfortable in our rooms, and I'm disappointed that wasn't the case for you. However, I appreciate you sharing about your experience by leaving us a review. It's how we know we can do better, and we will!

Safe travels,
New York
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had been talking for a while about going to the North Fork for a few days but all the inns/hotels, etc. were just too expensive. Then I found a Travelzoo voucher for The Blue Inn and figured why not. I'm pleased to say it was the perfect choice. It's close to Greenport, the grounds are just beautiful and well kept and the room was fantastic. Spotless and quiet with a great little kitchenette. We got takeout each night--go to the Greek place a little ways down the road--awesome--and sat outside at the picnic tables to eat in the twilight, which is quite a treat for us apartment dwellers. The staff was wonderful and helpful and the pool is great-cool and clean. The only two suggestions I would are bring some paper towels if you are staying more than a day or two to clean up spills, etc.(I felt bad using the towel they provide) and maybe it was just our room that didn't have it but something to put your suitcase on would be great. But we couldn't have been more pleased and we look forward to going back for a longer stay next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The perfect choice? What a generous compliment! Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a recommendation. I hear what you're saying about the lack of luggage racks in our guest rooms, and it's certainly something we'll look into!

Until next year,
Rockville Centre, New York
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The inn is a 5 minute ride to greenport. Breakfast (8-10) and wine tasting passes were included in the travelzoo package. We went to breakfast at 9:30 and there was literally 2 rolls 1 yogurt and an orange left. We were not offered the wine tasting passes that were supposed to be included. The room was clean, except the towels had visual stains on them. You can borrow a beach pass for a $40 refundable deposit, but it would have been nice if the staff gave a suggestion of a beach. We found Kenney Beach on our own, quiet and sandy (unlike many of the north shore rocky beaches) . Probably would not stay at again. The hotel is not in walking distance of the restaurants in Greenport (claudio's, etc.) If you found this helpful, please click on the helpful button. Thanks for reading.

Room Tip: The back of the hotel by the pool is quieter than the rooms in the main house.
2 Thank NYGD
theblueinn, Manager at The Blue Inn At North Fork, responded to this review, August 23, 2013
You're absolutely right: When you stay with us, you expect a certain level of care and accommodation; I'm sorry to hear we didn't quite hit the mark. Did you ask our staff for a beach suggestion, or did they just forget to provide you with one? I'm glad you found Kenney Beach on your own, but our team is usually full of helpful suggestions for those unfamiliar with the area!

I'll look into those stained towels you mentioned, and I hope you decide to return so we can show you what we're all about. Thanks for reaching out; I hope your stay on the North Fork was an enjoyable one.

Take care,
Long Island
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Blue Inn is a beautiful gem just past the town of Greenport.
The place was very clean, the guest and staff were wonderful.
Everything needed for a 3 day stay was here. Pool, nice continental breakfast
that included everything needed to start your morning. Toast, coffees,teas, breads,
fruits, cereals , yogurts,and oatmeals.
Air conditioning was state of the art new and quiet and more than comfy ....
Fridge and kitchette are great value and ice was available always with the front desk ...

Will come back here forever .....

Room Tip: Rooms upstairs may be a bit more scenic, but that would be a guess. Not an issue for my wife and I...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Your review just made my day! Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your visit. It was our pleasure to have you, and I'm thrilled to hear you felt right at home at our inn. We're already looking forward to your next visit!

Until then,
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The reason I give this 3 stars is because the location was really good. I would have given it 2 stars because.....when you first walk into the room it looks nice and tidy. Well they have these blankets on the bed that I'm almost sure they don't wash everyday. The sheets had a bunch of stains on them. I realize that sheets will get stains even if they are clean but for over $200 a night buy new sheets if they stain up. There was hair on the sheets as well. Although this didn't bother me I feel like I should mention that you can hear everything from the room above.
Also the pool had tons of leaves in it, which makes it less than inviting and to top it off they used the loudest lawn mower that took well over an hour to do.
The comp breakfast was non-existent with a few bagels and a few yogurts. No fresh fruit :(

Room Tip: Pick a room on the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Leslierapp
Thanks for taking the time to give us some feedback after your stay. While I'm happy to hear you appreciate our convenient location, I'm sorry you weren't completely comfortable in your room. Rest assured that we provide fresh linens for each guest who visits us! Customer satisfaction is our top priority, and the last thing we want is for anyone to be concerned about the cleanliness of their room.

As far as our breakfast service goes, we always offer fresh fruit and plenty of extras. It sounds like you must've caught us as we were putting the food away that morning!

In terms of our lawn and pool, our maintenance staff does their best to keep these areas tidy for our guests. I'll be sure to pass your review along to them as a reminder that we can always do better!

Regards,
Hyatt Place Long Island East End
Heron Suites
Heron Suites
#2 of 3 in Southold

Been to The Blue Inn At North Fork? Share your experiences!