“Return visit”

The Blue Inn At North Fork
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in East Marion
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Reviewed this property last year and enjoyed it then and now. We stayed in the building where the office is located this time and the room was great. The layout does make a cramped bathroom sink but it is not a deal breaker. The bedding is superb and the kitchenette is well equipped. I do see a problem on the horizon with the laminate flooring. As funds allow, a switch to hardwood should be done. It would be more in character for this layout. We were dismayed at the price increase this year but the operation is rolling now. Last year we were pioneers/guinea pigs for the new management. A good job is being done.
As for pricing on the North Fork in general, whew, we are glad it is a very short yearly visit. I really do not know how people afford the cost of living in this area. It's busy all over in the summer so must be working for the people with bucks.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank tanchaser

Reviewed July 17, 2012

I was attending a wedding in the area and was forced to look for an alternative lodging due to a lodging mishap that was arranged by the family of the bride. Out of desperation, I drove around for almost 1 hour looking for any room that was available for the weekend. I came across The Blue Inn and was told that they had 1 last room available for (2) nights. Considering it was the weekend before the 4th of July, my chance to find another available room was slim to none. I took it and paid for it on the spot. At 225 USD per night, it was fair. The room was newly remodeled, I could tell by the freshly grouted tiles in the bathroom which overall is also very clean and tidy. The bed was comfortable with better quality sheets. Cold AC was a mandatory for the super hot weekend out on the island that weekend. The back building looks like a motel-like structure where you park your car in front of your room. However, the the view of the lavender field next door and the swimming pool across the parking lot indicates that you are in a much better lodging facility in a nice(r) area. The room came with free breakfast but I skipped it both mornings so I can't really comment on it. My only complain is the rooms on the lower level seem to absorb the noise from the upper level and therefore I was able to hear foot steps and running water and even loud conversation from other guests above.

Room Tip: The village of Greenport is less than 10 minutes drive away from the Inn, lots of shopping and eater...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this property. The unit we had was in an annex behind the old house. Our room was freshly updated, flat screen tv, comfortable bed. The bathroom was small but had a good shower and was clean. Our room had a small room adjoining with a single bed and another flat screen tv. There is a small restaurant that serves a continental breakfast. We were offered cereal, juice, coffee, pastries, bagels. You can upgrade to a full cooked breakfast from the menu. The restaurant also serves Lunch and Dinner. We had appetizers one evening which were prepared well.

Overall , our stay was very good. The greenport area is very expensive in the summer. I picked this property based on the relative value. There are some very quaint b&b's in the area that cost substantially more, I would have picked one of those had they offered reasonable pricing. Our accommodations were more motel like, but as I stated, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jmcgavock
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Hotel is clean and well kept. Recent upgrades to the rooms were obvious. Attention to detail was where the upgrades lost some zing. Intentions were there but either the renovations were done in a hurry or on a tight budget. Location is good if you are touring the north fork. It is on the north end however and you could also get a hotel further south which would be closer to the wineries and restaurants. There is an onsite restaurant and the food was very good. We had dinner the first night and really enjoyed the food. Expensive but very well prepared. Service was defintitely an issue as the waitstaff was woefully shorthanded and confused. Wait times were crazy and we had other patrons meals mistakenly brought to our table, twice! We paid about $250 per night for our room which seemd high for what we got but I guess that's a function of the area. Although that being said, there are certainly rooms in the area you will pay much less for. When we found this hotel, it was listed under the category of Bed and Breakfast. This is certainly not a traditional B&B. In most B&B's the breakfast is one of the key facets in which the location is judged. Here, the breakfast is an afterthought. A continental breakfast is part of the room rate but if you want a real breakfast, it will cost you extra. I've never experienced that in a B&B before. The rooms are also not the traditional rooms, decorated with older furnishings in a larger home which I have come to expect in a B&B. The majority of the rooms are in a seperate building that is a renovated motel, 12 rooms long and two stories high . . . you get the idea. There are also rooms in the main building, which is where we stayed. Nice room, but again, not in the traditional B&B, "Freeoprt, Maine" style. I would categorize the Blue Inn as more of a boutique hotel or chic hotel, which is not a bad thing, just not what we were expecting. For a younger couple looking for those clean lines and art deco decor, this would probably be just what the doctor ordered but for a middle aged couple used to B&B's in downeast Maine or upstate NY, the Blue Inn left a little to be desired. I don't think travelers would be disappointed with their stay here, just know what you are getting before you arrive and avoid any surprises. My wife and I said out loud "wow, that's different" several times during our stay, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the not so good..

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building and avoid the rooms overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank BradyWanderer
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Clearly recently renovated. Large room with kitchenette. Note: Shower but no bathtub in our room for those looking for one. About two dozen units, so not very large. Staff was very nice, real people. Didn't get a chance to use the swimming pool while there, but looked in good shape. Small restaurant on premises where we ate the first night. Food really good. Also where we had continental breakfast every morning, also pretty good. Good location if visiting the North Fork.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank lhjraffe
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I truly cannot say enough about this Hotel. I have never felt compelled to write a review on any hotel until now, we literally have not stopped talking about the November weekend since. The staff was immediately welcoming, pleasant and the rooms crisp, clean and tranquil. We had made reservations at a restaurant in Greenport prior to our arrival and within minutes of sitting at the bar area at The Blue Inn and speaking to Chef Dan (and tasting the most amazing scallop) we cancelled our reservations (actually paid for, and sent a taxi cab away!) and had one of the most fantastic dining experiences of our lives! Chef Dan provided us with a 10 course tasting menu which incorporated some of the freshest local foods, tender meats and seafood, served with a personal touch of creavity that usually gets lost in the typical nyc/li hustle and bustle nowadays. It really was a special experience for us and it was apparent that the staff all really cared about the guests and were passionate about their service. Dan also gave us great recommendations for local vineyards, educated us on the foods and served us breakfast the next morning with a smile! We wish we could have stayed longer, we will be back, hoping to stay sometime in the summer to get to enjoy the beautiful scent of the lavendar fields next door, outdoor barbeque's and pool!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Casey G
Reviewed January 25, 2012

Hotels in this part of the world can get expensive during the summer. So we were lucky to be able to book this hotel for two nights for a decent price during August 2011 because the hotel had recently been renovated and reopened. That being said, there were positives and negatives to staying here.

First, the positives: The location is perfect. The hotel has a great location between Orient Point and all of the wineries on Long Island. It is also a five-minute drive to the restaurant district where there is some good nightlife on the North Fork. Second, the rooms were clean, and the hotel had decent facilities, such as a pool.

Now, the negatives: Although the hotel has been recently renovated, it is easy to tell that these renovations won't last very long, especially if the hotel receives heavy use in its new incarnation. The construction materials are cheap. My husband and I have a combined total weight of 225 lbs, and we felt that the room was cramped and floors shook as we walked. Also, the floors were made of a cheap laminate. This would be acceptable in a hotel that is less expensive, but I'm not sure it's appropriate for a hotel in an expensive area. Further, if the hotel owner wants to ensure that the hotel remains "updated," s/he will have to keep redoing the floors. Further, the service leaves a little to be desired. First, it took forever to check us in, even though we'd made our reservation online and paid in advance. Second, the person working the desk couldn't really recommend much to us as far as things to do. Third, our room included breakfast, but when we went out to get breakfast about an hour after they began serving it, we found a table with a few juices, some granola, three hard-boiled eggs, stale rolls, and not much else. There weren't even enough plates provided.

If I could give this hotel 3.5 stars I would, because the location is so wonderful.

Overall, the price, if it stays low, would cause me to consider returning. However, I wouldn't pay much more than $150/night to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
Kenny's Tipperary Inn
Kenny's Tipperary Inn
#5 of 39 in Montauk

Been to The Blue Inn At North Fork? Share your experiences!