“Don't Make Me Leave”

The Maidstone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
“Don't Make Me Leave”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I've nicknamed this place the Hotel California because it's the kind of hotel you never want to leave. So stylish and cozy, weather isn't even a worry when booking because you could have a perfect weekend without leaving the grounds. The breakfast is perfect. A carefully thought out spread of soft-boiled eggs, delicious cheese, breads, granola, yogurt coffee, juices and spreads; a far cry from the other offerings on the island. The restaurant? Worth a visit even if you made the mistake of staying somewhere else. The only teensy complaint I have is that they don't supply hairdryers in every room. So don't forget to pack one if you suffer from frizzy summer hair. But if that's my only complaint, I'm content to count my blessings. Including the fun of bringing my dog down to the lounge for breakfast. And the very helpful and genuine staff. They respect your privacy, but are never too far away should you need them.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 17, 2014

We booked this hotel based on advice of a friend who has a travel company..we are so grateful that we did. The Maidstone is well situated within walking distance of both the beach, and the village of East hampton and if you are feeling adventurous you can borrow a bike from the hotel. From the moment you arrive you are greeted warmly - everyone is attentive and goes out of their way to ensure you are happy with your stay. The hotel is modernly styled and exceptionally quirky with themed rooms with the most amazing attention to detail. Our room was dedicated to Sonje Henie a Swedish skater so we had designs associated with ice crystals and even a pair of skates on the wall. I had heard that the hotel beds are 10 000 pounds..I don't know if ours was but it was exceptional comfortable with crisp soft Egyptian cotton sheets. The breakfasts are beautiful ...I absolutely loved the Greek yoghurt with the hotel's own granola...perfection...caviar and cold meats and cheeses are also available. The hotel succeeds in creating an intimate romantic and cosy atmosphere without being kitsch. I envy their interior designer ...I wish I had their vision for putting quirky pictures, textures and colours, carpets and rugs , and the other surprising extras together - the result it all blends beautifully. A special mention must be made to Leo.. One of the most talented bartenders I have ever come across..his own personal cocktail called Berries For Kara is a work of the utmost genius together with his warm friendly manner .. This was simply exceptional service. I had three and was even given a demonstration of how to make it and the recipe! I am astounded at the fact is hotel is rated as average by other reviewers - not at all a true reflection of this hotel and the service it offers. most definitely in Europe this hotel would be considered at the very least a four star and absolutely 5 star for service. we didn't eat in the highly recommended restaurant as we were only staying for one night and wanted to eat in the village but by all accounts the restaurant is exceptional too. We didn't have a car so the hotel suited us perfectly and it was only a short stroll to see some of the amazing mansions in this area. I would have stayed longer here if we could have . highly recommended...we hope to return in the future ...the hotel left a lasting and most memorable impression. One we will never forget for a long time.

Room Tip: check out all the rooms on the hotels website and pick one that appeals to you..they are all individ...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear Pinkythecat, so many nice words! I am overwhelmed and so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. It seems like you truly understood our concept about being cozy and quirky with a homy feeling and not a luxury Inn in a ordinary way. And you are so right Leo is a true gem and we are very grateful to have him. I wish you a lovely reamining of the summer and hope that you will visit us again

Kindest
London
Reviewed July 16, 2014

This was the second time we went in 2 years. Last year was lively on a weekend and this time was a typical Hamptons Mobday. Very quite. However the waiter, a very tall guy was very helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. We had a great evening after the crazy July 4 weekend. We will go back and may even stay there when we revisit the Hamptons from London England.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2014

I looked into booking this hotel for my sisters bachelorette weekend. When inquiring about the rooms i asked man helping me if there were any cancelation fees and he assured me there was NOT. He said you had up to 30 days to cancel without any penalties. So naturally I booked my rooms (which are NOT cheap BTW). Fast forward a few weeks later, and almost 2 months before our reservation (well within the cancellation time frame) we end up not going on the trip so i call to cancel my reservation.

I get charged a $50 cancelation fee for EACH room although the man helping me told me there was NO FEE. I called them explaining the situation and asking them if they can make an exception due to my experience and conversation when booking the room. They told me that they cant help me me because there is notice of the cancelation fee in fine print on the reservation confirmation. Well, i didn't even notice the FINE PRINT on my confirmation because i wouldn't have even MADE The reservation had i known there was a cancelation fee no matter how far in advance you canceled your reservation.

I dont normally write reviews like this, i like to give business the benefit of the doubt but i am upset and angry because i feel like i have been taken advantage of. Clearly if i had known there was a cancelation fee i would have NOT booked - and the man on the phone who i booked with told ME there was no fee. So wouldnt you think that the hotel would give me my measly $50 deposit back since this was clearly an employee who was not trained properly and not my fault?

After explaining this they told me they would make an exception and refund me for one of the cancelation fees but not the other. So i am getting charged the $50 instead of $100. If you are able to refund me for one room, you seriously cant refund for the other?
POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. i will never ever book there again, and i will encourage all my friends to do the same.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dana P
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear Dana, I know, it is very boring with cancellaton fees but it has been the reality in the hotel business for a long time, and will most likely continue to be so. I am sorry you didn't read the cancellation policy, it is of course always a good idea to do so.

I am glad to hear that Front Desk took away half of the fee for you due to the misscommunicaton you had so you only paid $50.

If you will book a room again I hope youacctually will end up staying here.

Have a lovely summer
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 30, 2014

The rooms at The Maidstone were very cute and cozy. We stayed in the THOR HEYERDAHL room which was wonderful. They pay very close attention to detail at this property. Some of my favorite touches were the Stelle Pillar music player and the room scent. We are one night at the restaurant and tried the swedish meatballs which were delicious! I would defiantly come back to this boutique hotel for a relaxing getaway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Florida
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This is gem in the East Hamptons. Great rooms, fabulous food in a very cozy restaurant. The
service is personal and all personal are working for you. You will be pampered and not disappointed during your stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed May 4, 2014

What a pleasure and delight our stay has been at c/o The Maidstone. The staff are an absolute joy, the food delicious, the vibe divine and the rooms fabulously eclectic - a unique experience with a beach just a short bike ride from the hotel to blow away those NYC cobwebs. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Edvard Munch- you'll have a "Scream".
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
SophieHindmarsh, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2014
Dear Becky, I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay, the vibe, the food, the room and the staff. You know we loved having you here! Have a lovely summer and hope to see you both again
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Hampton
#1 of 12 in East Hampton
The 1770 House
The 1770 House
#4 of 12 in East Hampton

Been to The Maidstone Hotel? Share your experiences!