“Less than Disappointing Experience:Noisy,SmellyTowels,Theft”

The Maidstone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
“Less than Disappointing Experience:Noisy,SmellyTowels,Theft”
Reviewed October 11, 2011

My husband and I booked the Kurbits Cottage. Upon arrival the cottage reeked of dogs and musty linens and towels. We asked to be relocated and were accommodated nicely to a room inside the main hotel. The Josef Frank room is cute and cozy, however, extremely noisy and the linen and towel smell persisted. Definitely this hotel has a laundry issue. No matter where we were, the towels were disgusting to use. On the up side, the breakfast including the French Press coffee was delicious and service excellent. The Living Room in the evening is cool and hip, we enjoyed wine at the bar. Just as the Maidstone began to grow on us, we forgave the smelly towels and noise...upon departure, as we were packing up I could not find my Hermes belt! We turned our bags and the room upside down to no avail. The only other people in the room were two Housekeeping girls. When I approached Randy, the manager, she said a belt "would not walk away" yet quickly defended her housekeepers without ANY investigation. My husband suggested a police report be filed and Randy proceeded to give us directions to the police station! We left with absolute disgust and felt violated. It is evident that this hotel has a THEFT problem as I am not the only one reporting a missing item yet Randy keeps her head in the sand. LOCK UP ALL OF YOUR VALUABLES if you stay here!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank HauteCoutureGirl
StockholmMalin, General Manager at The Maidstone Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2011
Dear Mrs B,
As I told you over the phone I can not enough express how sorry I am over the fact that you felt so badly treated when reporting your loss of the belt to our receptionist. It must have been awful for both you and your husband. As I also told you we are investigating what could have happened by checking our surveillance systems and talking to staff and as I said I will get back to you again shortly. I still hope that I will find your belt somewhere.
All my best
Sophie B Hindmarsh
c/o The Maidstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Arcadia, CA
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The room I had, Pippi Longstocking, should be renamed Pippi longstinking. I have been out of the room for hours but still smell that odd musty odor. They have taken being green to a new level. I don't like that level. Open water in glass jars and sticks instead of drink stirrers and used soap and shampoo containers. The bartender served a customer 2 flies in a martini!!! Way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank Bonnie N
Dear Hotelscreener,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at our hotel. It is of great value for us to get feedback since the most important thing is to constantly strive to be better. I am sorry to hear that you don’t like our way of being environmentally friendly. In some cases this means to sacrifice some things like for example disposables in plastic and bottled water. (It should of course not include serving flies in a Martini)
We do hope that we will have the chance to see you, if not at our hotel, in the Hamptons again.
Sophie B Hindmarsh
c/o The Maidstone
New York City
Reviewed September 26, 2011

The Maidstone is in a great location in East Hampton-it's cute, charming, with a European flair. The restaurant is quite good-but, it's difficult to get the attention of the staff. I travelled solo, and as a single woman going to the beach and visiting my lawyer, who lives out there, I felt I was not treated with a lot of attention or respect; there were obviously bigger men spending more money than I, and these people received more attention-
Randy, at the front desk, is extremely helpful, however, when I asked her to look into a clothing item I'm POSITIVE I left there, she never returned my call, and I'm quite sure it was taken by housekeeping. I haven't been able to replace it yet!
The Roald Anuldson single room is like staying in a closet-other than that, the style and
comfort of the hotel is charming, and unique for the Hamptons. But, very pricey for what you're getting!

Room Tip: The cozy Roald Anuldson ? room is not cozy-it's a closet!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
6 Thank keentraveler30
LulubelleT
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed her with an eight-year-old girl in August and we loved it. The complimentary yoga, pet and kid-friendly atmosphere. Use of swanky Krona bikes, walking distance to everything, luxe lodgings, cool lobby and restaurant. The staff couldn't have been nicer.

I love that they have kids AND a dog menu in the restaurant. The food was great and our daughter also was totally blown away by in room PlayStation and it gave me a break to shower, etc. The rooms are all chic but done different in the spirit of a well-known Scandanavian.

Don't miss Main Beach (so close and hotel gives you passes), walk to the pond to feed ducks, a drink in the very cool bar, a bite in the restaurant. (We only had breakfast there but it was fresh and lovely...)

We love the history of the hotel and the area and how they've tastefully updated the 200 year old home. It's definitely chic but zero snoot. You can almost forget about your car when you get there because the village is so close. We had a wonderful time and will be back!

You can read all of the details about our visit and property review here:

Room Tip: Cottages great option for families!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LulubelleT
Paris
Reviewed August 22, 2011

I spent few days in East Hamptons.
I was quiet despointed by the hotel and the service.

The room are very tiny for almost 800Usd a night. Space is a thing, but noise was terrible. At the first floor during the week end you are not able to sleep before the closure of the restaurant (1am) and after that you can hear the staff chated!

The room was not clean, sheets had some wholes, the cover bed was dirty, and even asked 3 times to be removed, I guess it's still there. The bathroom is challenging, no strorage space at all. Design is ok for a private appartment, but definitly not for an hotel.

Then, a green hotel is always nice, but to not offer any plastic bottle of water to go the beach.....just glass bottle is on my opinion a lack of service! I do spend time in a luxury hotel to go by myself to the supermarket to buy some!

Then, frond desk service is nice, always smart and polite, restaurant also.

The curious thing is the attidude of the GMs..... not a smile or a welcome when I checked in.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ptitlu
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 10, 2011

no one is in charge. the owner was in sweden presumably visiting her other hotels. several sanitary lapses struck me as odd in an expensive b&b. beds are by hastens and are the residential models. mattresses are not waterproof - ick! upholstered box springs stick out from the thin mattress which means people crawl over them every time the get in bed - ick! filtered water is available in the mini bar, my bottle had mold under the cap (they bottle in the restaurant). my room was unbearably small and improvements like flat screens all seem haphazard with wires dangling etc. certainly not what you expect from the maidstone. stay at the 1770 house right up the street.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank ImpossiblyPicky
Melbourne
Reviewed May 2, 2011

We were not planning on staying in East Hampton, but time got away from us whilst travelling in the area and we stumbled upon this gorgeous place.
From the moment we stepped into the Maidstone, we didn't want to leave and regretted that we could only stay one night.
We were shown 2 beautifully decorated rooms that were available that night and decided on the Tove Jannsen Room which was decorated in calming greys and white. The view of the pond and windmill in the distance just made it extra special. Each room at the hotel is named after a Scandinavian personality/artist and is individually decorated.
The owners of this hotel have thought of everything.From the superb decor throughout the Hotel to the Malin & Goetz toiletries in the room.
We decided to dine in the Hotel's restaurant" The Living Room" that night and we again were not disappointed.
The service was friendly but professional and the food and wine was world class.We had a lovely evening taking in the views from the window, the decor of the room and sampling the wonderful food and wine.
Breakfast in the morning was included in the tarriff and we were confronted by a large family that were guests that were the most annoying and obnoxious people we have ever come across.The staff have to be commended for their professionalism and grace as they were hurled abuse from this horrible family but kept their calm the whole time.
After the family left, the staff apologised for the scene that these guests had created and we all had a joke about it.They were really friendly and down to earth.
I doubt I will ever get to return to The Maidstone again, as we live in Australia, but it is the type of place you would want to come back to again and again- just to stay and experience all 19 rooms.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
The Hedges Inn
The Hedges Inn
#1 of 12 in East Hampton
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Maidstone Hotel? Share your experiences!