“Rude, obnoxious service -- never go back”

The Palm East Hampton
Reserve with OpenTable
The Palm East Hampton is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 67 Restaurants in East Hampton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Huntting Lane
Transit: Hampton Jitney and Hampton Luxury Liner both stop directly in front of the Huntting Inn.
Sag Harbor
“Rude, obnoxious service -- never go back”
Reviewed September 12, 2007

I've eaten at several of these chain restaurants and they are ok. Not the best steakhouse by far, but decent. I also live near the restaurant in East Hampton and I have never been there before as I can always eat at The Palm in NYC or other locations when I travel.

However, I decided to give it a try the other week as I had a craving for steak. Got there by 6:30 and was told by the maitre'd (Tomas) it would be a 30-45 minute wait. My wife and I went to the bar. And we wait and waited....

Two hours go by and still no table. Meanwhile, we see couples (2 people) being seated immediately upon their arrival (there were other people like us in the bar waiting to be seated but got called ahead of us). Even the bartender took pity on our wait. He did offer a free drink on the house after we've already had two, but still no table (although I did clearly see some people give Tomas a nice hefty tip to get seated). We kept getting the same old line of that it will be a few more minutes, etc. Obviously he was helping those that greased his palm (no pun intended).

Now I'm not into giving some dude a $50 or $100 buck tip to snag a table (sure it's a Hamptons scene out there), but I felt so violated by the lack of service and attitude shown here. It really as embarrassing.

We should have left obviously, but we finally got a table next to the kitchen door (2 1/2 hours late) Food was ok, but not great. Waiter was good, but I'm still really steammed by the attitute shown at the front of the house.

Anyway, my bad. I should just have bought a steak from the local market and fired up the grill. That said, I will NEVER step into any The Palm restaurants in my lifetime. However, if you love a bad attitude and rude people, Tomas will take great care of you in East Hampton.

4 Thank SabresHabs

NY
“An excelent choice...”
Reviewed August 6, 2006

Although the food was exactly what you'd expect from a high end steakhouse chain, the overall experience was fantastic. The wait staff and team of hosts were superb. They are clearly focused on details when it comes to customer service. When we mentioned we planned to eat at The Palm while visiting EH, everyone told us to hit the ATM ahead of time. On the contrary, the final bill was fairly priced -and that was before the maitre de applied a 10% discount to our bill for being a first timer to the restaurant! Despite the dining room being completely filled, including some highly recognizable "A" listers, the wait staff was very consistent - we felt we got treated as well as anyone in the room. If you're craving a good steak and you're looking for a comfortable, but classy dining experience, look no further while visiting EH.

2 Thank Life-isnt-Fare