“Love the Buerre Blanc sauce!!!”
Review of Cafe Max - CLOSED

Cafe Max
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I'm always intrigued by the sign that says Scallops or Soft Shelled Crabs. I drive by several times a day and I always read the sign and my mouth waters thinking back to my last meal there. The restaurant is a little sleepy and I was by far the youngest by generations but, the food was delicious! I had the soft shelled crab with the Buerre Blanc Sauce and I was in heaven. The veggies left a little to be desired. It seemed like frozen steamed green beans and carrots like you'd get from a chain restaurant. I didn't care, my dinner was so yummy. You can get that sauce with just about anything. The restaurant is smaller so try to get in if you can!

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Cafe Max is located in a dollhouse of a building, so expect it to feel a bit crowded and noisy. But it has real atmosphere, like a rustic cottage, and most important offers good food in substantial portions. You have to know what to order here. Max, the owner-chef, makes superb soups, which change every night. His pear salad, made with Gorgonzola and walnuts, is wonderful. The restaurant has the sign of a swordfish on the front, so you can count on excellent fish. Try the Cajun cod or pan-sauteed flounder, and when in season, mouth-watering bay scallops or softshell crabs. They also have an award-winning wine list. This is not a cheap meal, but locals know to take advantage of prix-fixe specials on different nights. The only rule is to arrive at 5:30 sharp when they open. Check their website for details. We return to this restaurant again and again when we want something a little special and are willing to pay for it--and its prices are less than other Hamptons fine-dining restaurants they offer similar quality cooking.

Reviewed October 21, 2011

Barely room to get between tables, noisy NY crowd accustomed to being ripped off by the Hamptons' pricing. A rib steak (+5 on the price fixed menu) was so tough as to be almost inedible. Over-priced drinks and far too noisy. Not planning a repeat visit.

1  Thank charlespukit