“A dismally miserable experience”
Review of Bassett House Inn

Bassett House Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in East Hampton
Bassett House Inn
Ranked #10 of 11 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 26, 2005

We wish we'd found these reviews prior to booking because our experience was very similar to that of the person who posted the July 29, 2004 review. Had we known what we know now, we never would have stayed here. The Bassett House is in a serious state of disrepair. Our room had filthy carpets and curtains, a dusty floor, unworking light fixtures, bugs and dusty potpourri that appeared not to have been touched in years. The linens were very worn. We also had bugs in the room and a door without a lock. Given that the front door is unlocked and the proprietor by his own admission leaves the premises from time to time, security is nil. Our room and the living and dining rooms were furnished with a hodgepodge of old furniture and were not in the least bit inviting. In addition, the proprietor treats it like his own home, so one feels more like a boarder in a bachelor pad than a guest in a professionally-run inn. At the $300+ per night we paid it's grossly overpriced, but that would be the case at $100 per night too. We left early and the proprietor agreed to refund one of the nights he'd charged us for, but claimed not to know how to issue a credit. So now we're waiting and wondering. Avoid this place at all costs!!!

• Stayed: July 2005
6  Thank jmdny

Astoria, NY
Reviewed July 14, 2005

My fiancee and I spent the July 4th weekend at the Bassett House with our dog Roxy. We had a wonderful time! Mike was very friendly and a great host. He was very helpful and the accommodations were excellent. I would reccomend this to anyone who wanted to stay in the Hamptons!

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed May 12, 2005

I was going out to East Hampton for a Yoga Retreat for cancer survivors run by the Libby Ross Foundation, and the Bassett House was on their list of potential accommodations. I called and made a reservation about 6 weeks prior to the retreat and sent a deposit for one night. I planned on staying two nights. About two weeks prior to the retreat a friend of mine offered me her house in East Hampton for the weekend. I called Michael Bassett and cancelled my reservation and expected to receive a refund of my deposit. I thought two weeks notice would have been enough time but he refused to refund the money. I have been through a lot this past year with chemo and radiaton therapies and the yoga retreat was a tremendous experience, but the way I was treated by the Bassett House was frustrating and disappointing. I would not have written this review except I read that Michael Bassett refused to refund a previous reviewer's deposit. I would be sure you are going to the Hamptons before you send a deposit to the Bassett House!

Stayed: May 2005
7  Thank swimdad11694
NYC, NY 10023
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Bassett House Inn is the most unpretentious, comfortable Bed and Breakfast I have ever stayed in. It's the kind of place that invites relaxed, scintilating conversation at the breakfast table and if you aren't careful, the fun could continue to almost noon. If you don't want that and wish to be alone, you can walk or jump on a bike and head out for the beach or town. There are people there from all over the world that add to the excitement and charm of the place. You just want to kick off your shoes, lay back and put the stress of the corporate world "on the shelf". I'll return.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Andover, CT
Reviewed April 19, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Basset House in March during a cold spell. We had stayed with Michael 10 years ago as well. The Bassett House is a bit like a bachelor pad, a little unkempt but very welcoming. It is the type of place you can put your feet up on the furniture and relax. Michael even welcomed my pet cocketiel, Billy.

Michael treats you like family admonishing you not to stay out too late and to be sure to eat all the food he serves you. He makes suggestions about things to do and places to eat. He leaves little notes at the dining room door to let you know where he is in case he is needed.

The B&B is in easy walking distance to several good restaurants. Being walkers, we were able to walk to town as well. I'm sure we will stay with Michael again in the future.

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 12, 2004

We planned a wonderful NY get-a-way and were dismayed to find when we arrived that the innkeeper did not have a room for us, and never reimbursed the money we mailed to reserve the room, DESPITE filing a complaint to the BBB. Would NOT endorse this inn, there are many other nice ones (actually several were eager to help us after hearing the story)

• Stayed: June 2000
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
NJ
Reviewed July 28, 2004

Terrible conditions, house was not well kept. It's old, rundown and in need of a paint job, and repairs. Stayed there on a Saturday night in July 2004. Asked for private bathroom; electricity and lighting in bathroom did not work, sparks and electrical shorts occured when turning on the lights. We were not able to take shower and ruined our Saturday night in the Hamptons. Insects and bugs were also found in the room. No locks on the room door, front door is also not locked, potential security and safety concerns. Owner was not friendly and was not willing to lower the price due to faulty bathroom and lack of electricity. Do not stay in this rundown "B&B". If you are looking for a nice B&B place to stay in the Hamptons this is definately not the place, do not stay here, you will be very disappointed with the lack of quality, service, lack of security, electrical concerns and accomodations. The place is a dump. Stay away!!

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member