“Delightful experience”

Ranked #1 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Delightful experience”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My daughter and I came to the Hedges late season, the second week of October. The weather was a little cold, but the warmth at Hedges Inn, mainly Ann and Brendan, was perfect. The inn was elegant yet comfortable, inviting and sophisticated, in an ideal location. A 15 walk into town or to the beach. The staff was knowledgable, personable and took great care of their guests. We were welcomed with homemade pound cake and coffee and sent off with a gourmet breakfast fit for a king! My daughter and I will absolutely be back and regret only staying 1 evening. We can't wait to make this trip a repeat for years to come!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa C
annclarke70, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
We do hope you make The Hedges Inn an annual trip! Coffee and cake on a chilly afternoon just seemed perfect and it is more fun when we have people who eat all the goodies in the house! It was such fun having you both here and it is very kind of you to have taken the time to write such a kind review! Many thanks. We will be looking for you next fall!

All the best,

Ann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

When my husband and I had to change our trip plans on short notice due to unexpected family complications, the owner of this establishment expressed understanding, and found a positive way to resolve the situation for us, for which we were very grateful. Unfortunately, we never got to actually stay here, but feel that the kind way our problem was handled deserves 4 stars.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank April S
annclarke70, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
What a lovely thing to say! Thank you so much. We are sorry you never made it to our lovely bed and breakfast but there is always next summer! I am happy we were able to work things out in a win win manner. Wishing you double what you wish for us! Ann
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 1, 2012

This is such a lovely and delightful place. The breakfast is aMAZing! The staff is so friendly and helpful, the rooms are lovely! There is nothing not to LOVE about The Hedges Inn - I only wish I could have stayed for longer!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tracy M
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Oh, how we love guests like you! There is so much joy in having postive and pretty faces in the house. Thank you for being here and we are sincerely happy that you enjoyed your stay so much. We hope to see you next summer too! All my best, Anni
new york
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The Hedges cancelled my reservation without notifying me . I called them the day of my check-in to request a late check-out and they told me my reservation had been cancelled! They never sent me an email regarding this and told me that that I could not stay with them. Don't ever stay here - they could just arbitrarily cancel your reservation too!

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Runner231
annclarke70, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
After eight unpleasant phone calls from this reviewer in the course of a couple hours the review comes as no surprise. However when the inn receives a call after a reservation is made and the caller identifies themselves as the personal assistant to the person booked, has the reservation numbers, dates and other pertinent information and tells us they need to cancel, well - we cancel the reservation! It was also fully refunded although it was within the 30 day non refundable policy. If this was a mix up in the 'other house' we cannot be held accountable. It is our goal to book reservations certainly not to arbitrarily cancel them! It's unfortunate it happened.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Only home for one day from the Hedges Inn in East Hampton and I miss it already. The Innkeeper, Ann Clarke, made me feel at home and the rest of the staff did the same. The rooms were immaculate, comfortable and welcoming; complete with a bag of beach towels for the guests to use. Convenient to great restaurants, the movie theater, shopping and the beach. The beautiful gardens provide a peaceful setting for walking and/or sitting on the
porch to just quietly be. The breakfast each morning was a delight for the palate as Ann personally prepared a three-course breakfast along with the buffet of croissants, muffins, cereals, yogurt and more; my personal favorite; Baked Eggs Caprese. I can only say I look forward to a trip back some time soon.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank hjensen90
annclarke70, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
It was truly a joy having you at The Hedges Inn. Thank you for your kinds words and the wonderful conversations during your stay. We are happy you call us home in the Hamptons and cannot wait to welcome you back again next summer! It was sweet of you to take the time to write a review and we do appreciate it, so on behalf of Philip, Brendan, Myra and the rest of the crew a heartfelt thanks!
New York
Reviewed September 23, 2012

The rooms are quite small and the decoration is average.....the garden is adequate although there are not many chaise or chairs available to enjoy it.....the breakfast is below average.....it's either the choice of the innkeeper or not much else....in addition, the innkeeper is immediately to familiar and quite aggressive.....it's a bit off-putting.....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank sdwgns
annclarke70, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
In all sincerity I thank you for this review. It illustrates beautifully that no matter what we can never be all things to all people. The Hedges Inn is an authentic boarding house from the mid 1800's so it is true that some of the rooms are smaller than others. Not being a restaurant but an intimate B&B our breakfast buffet of fresh juices, chilled fresh fruit, berries, homemade granola, Greek yogurt, pastries, muffins and breads is usually enough choice for any guest who is not interested in having our morning specialty breakfast or the alternate of scrambled eggs. I do apologize if I made you uncomfortable, that would never be my intention. We wish you safe journey where ever you may travel. Ann
Charlottesville, VA
Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I arrived at The Hedges Inn after a long car trip, tired and tense from the heavy Friday traffic. We and several others were staying at the inn during the weekend celebration of a family wedding. The moment I stepped into the inn, I felt my tension start to melt away. Ann Clarke, the innkeeper, greeted us with genuine warmth and quickly checked us in. Our room (The Atlantic) was painted a calming (but not boring) blue-gray-green, and the furniture was an eclectic mix of modern and traditional. Attention had been given to every detail to make our stay a pleasure: plush bathrobes, luxurious toiletries, a little bag of toffee almonds, and even a beach bag with towels tucked away in a corner. We had an hour or so before the rehearsal dinner, so sat on the covered terrace, sipping on delicious drinks prepared by staff member Branden. He was also both professional and warm in his demeanor.

The next morning we enjoyed the bountiful breakfast prepared by Ann. The buffet table was a feast for the eyes as well as for the mouth, with plenteous fresh flowers, Greek yogurt in mason jars, a variety of fresh fruit, croissants and muffins. There were several kinds of juice, coffee, and hot tea. Ann also prepares a couple of inventive hot dishes each morning, and I had the baked eggs Caprese. As with the other food, it was perfectly prepared and served. During the afternoon, between wedding festivities, my husband and I again relaxed on the terrace. Ann and her staff had provided more delightful touches, such as afternoon coffee and refreshing lemon and mint-infused water and little desserts.

The wedding farewell brunch was held at the inn, and once again, Ann made sure that food, setting and service were impeccable. She loves to make special occasions even more special, and she certainly made the brunch memorable. She handled a potentially awkward situation with great tact: some guests not associated with the wedding were understandably lingering over breakfast, which ends at 10:00 AM, and the brunch was scheduled to begin at 10:00. She was able to get the guests to leave without making them feel resentful, and she and her staff quickly reset the tables for our brunch. Another staff member, Philip, assisted with the brunch with the same friendliness and competence as the rest of the staff.

The inn is historic, lovely, and immaculate, but what sets The Hedges Inn apart is the warm and sincere hospitality provided by Ann and her staff. My husband and I arrived tired and tense, and departed refreshed and happy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank law2grace
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
You are the epitome of our well traveled guest and we hope you return to The Hedges Inn again and again! Philip, Brendan and I enjoyed your newsy review so very much and cannot thank you enough for giving prospective guests a feel of what a stay at The Hedgess Inn is from a satisfied guests point of view!. All our very best and safe travels to you always. Ann
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Hampton
East Hampton House
East Hampton House
#1 of 2 in East Hampton
East Hampton Art House Bed and Breakfast

Been to The Hedges Inn? Share your experiences!