“Warm Hospitality and Serene Beauty” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Hedges Inn

The Hedges Inn
Ranked #2 of 12 East Hampton B&B and Inns
Charlottesville, VA
“Warm Hospitality and Serene Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

My husband and I arrived at The Hedges Inn after a long car trip, tired and tense from the heavy Friday traffic. We and several others were staying at the inn during the weekend celebration of a family wedding. The moment I stepped into the inn, I felt my tension start to melt away. Ann Clarke, the innkeeper, greeted us with genuine warmth and quickly checked us in. Our room (The Atlantic) was painted a calming (but not boring) blue-gray-green, and the furniture was an eclectic mix of modern and traditional. Attention had been given to every detail to make our stay a pleasure: plush bathrobes, luxurious toiletries, a little bag of toffee almonds, and even a beach bag with towels tucked away in a corner. We had an hour or so before the rehearsal dinner, so sat on the covered terrace, sipping on delicious drinks prepared by staff member Branden. He was also both professional and warm in his demeanor.

The next morning we enjoyed the bountiful breakfast prepared by Ann. The buffet table was a feast for the eyes as well as for the mouth, with plenteous fresh flowers, Greek yogurt in mason jars, a variety of fresh fruit, croissants and muffins. There were several kinds of juice, coffee, and hot tea. Ann also prepares a couple of inventive hot dishes each morning, and I had the baked eggs Caprese. As with the other food, it was perfectly prepared and served. During the afternoon, between wedding festivities, my husband and I again relaxed on the terrace. Ann and her staff had provided more delightful touches, such as afternoon coffee and refreshing lemon and mint-infused water and little desserts.

The wedding farewell brunch was held at the inn, and once again, Ann made sure that food, setting and service were impeccable. She loves to make special occasions even more special, and she certainly made the brunch memorable. She handled a potentially awkward situation with great tact: some guests not associated with the wedding were understandably lingering over breakfast, which ends at 10:00 AM, and the brunch was scheduled to begin at 10:00. She was able to get the guests to leave without making them feel resentful, and she and her staff quickly reset the tables for our brunch. Another staff member, Philip, assisted with the brunch with the same friendliness and competence as the rest of the staff.

The inn is historic, lovely, and immaculate, but what sets The Hedges Inn apart is the warm and sincere hospitality provided by Ann and her staff. My husband and I arrived tired and tense, and departed refreshed and happy.

3 Thank law2grace
TheHedgesInn, Manager at The Hedges Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
You are the epitome of our well traveled guest and we hope you return to The Hedges Inn again and again! Philip, Brendan and I enjoyed your newsy review so very much and cannot thank you enough for giving prospective guests a feel of what a stay at The Hedgess Inn is from a satisfied guests point of view!. All our very best and safe travels to you always. Ann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I only stayed for a couple nights but the rooms were very nice and the staff (Ann and Philip) were beyond friendly. They were accomodating in all ways they could be and always had a smile on their face. I was there on business this time but my wife and I will be back next year in the summer for fun!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin M
Always special when a business man will take a quiet moment to write a nice review! Many sincere thanks for that. Your two day corporate meeting at The Hedges Inn was a breeze for us and the entire group seemed to enjoy the stay immensely. We will definately look forward to your return with your wife!
Ann
sunnyside ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

My husband and I just spent a weekend in East Hampton and I booked The Hedges Inn not really knowing what to expect...Absolutely no regrets...The Hedges Inn is all what it's cracked up to be..meticulous rooms, beautiful patio gardens, and a such a gracious staff...The innkeeper/manager Ann...wow! She preps up a breakfast you will be dreaming for days...We enjoyed our stay so much that we booked another weekend around the fall season...See you soon!

Room Tip: We had a small room but it was cozy and quaint.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank giovanna g
Happy people usually make the happiest guests. It is always great to see our guests in enjoying all of the inn...sitting on the porch, a glass of wine at the bar, a little snack ouitside on the patio, watching a game on TV in the den...and eating breakfast! Thank you for making us your home in the Hamptons and for gracisouly taking the time to write about it!
See you next summer! Ann
Saratoga, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

Starting with my introduction to Brendan when I called to make my reservation the Hedges wowed me! Brendan warmly described the inn and offered to stay late to help us get settled when we arrived. Our room was the best I've ever ... wonderful linens and amenities, peaceful setting, great shower, cozy and quiet. Next morning, we were greeted with a fabulous table setting of fresh fruit, flowers, homemade scones and muffins followed by a fabulous breakfast prepared by Ann. Each morning the menu was different and excellent. The peaceful gardens surrounding the property have many seating areas which we used for cocktails later in the day. Honestly, we'd return in a minute. This is a Hampton's treasure! Ann and her staff couldn't do enough for us. We'll be back as soon as time permits!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mocosar
Brendan is our newest staff member and I tell him he is a terrific fit for the hospitality business! Thank you for saying such kind things about your experience with him right from the start (and backing me up). I am pleased to know you enjoyed the room and amenities of the inn so much. We try to make breakfast spcial here at The Hedges Inn and having people who love to eat and try new things makes it so much fun! We have you down for next year!

All the best,
Anni
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

We recently hosted the guests for our weddding at the Hedges Inn, and hosted our morning after brunch there. Ann Clarke and her team could not have been more accomodating, friendly and professional. The Inn is historic and beautiful, the welcome warm and genuine, and the food inventive and delicious. Many of our guests told us that they would be returning to Hedges Inn when they return to East Hampton. I can definitely recommend Hedges and Ann and her team without reservation!

1 Thank Peter L
As an East Hamptonites you could not have been kinder to The Hedges Inn then to choose us as be the place your closest family and friends would stay. I personally enjoyed planning every aspect of your wedding send off brunch. We appreciate such recognition from outstanding locals and I have almost forgiven you for not telling me about your days attending Le Cordon Bleu in Paris until after the brunch was over and all the plates were empty! It was our pleasure to be a part of your special weekend and we are thrilled that everyone left so happy! Heartfelt congratulations from all of us at The Hedges Inn.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

Ann and her staff give over the top service. We had 6 rooms over a wedding event. It was as comfortable as home with the added feature of all your needs provided in a warm and gracious manner.

Maureen

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Maureenmoco
If you felt at home at The hedges Inn then I could not be happier. Our staff tries to walk the fine line of meeting your needs as hosts at a small inn but leaving you alone to just be at home! Your family and friends were a particularly fantastic group of warm and gentle people and all of us on staff enjoyed your staying here at The Hedges Inn!
Sincerely, Ann
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is a lovely little Inn in the heart of East Hampton.....a nice little daily walk to the village is not a problem at all. The Inn is extremely lovely and quaint and just reminded me of a big old country home done up with all the luxury and comforts of an upscale modern city hotel. The rooms are all named with a beachy/nautical theme and there is even a lovely weaved beach bag with beach towels available in the room should you decide to venture out to the beach which is about a 10 minute walk from the Inn. The rooms are beautifully furnished and comfortable and the bathrooms and very bright and modern.The homemade food is definitely of gourmet quality with lovely floral accents right from the owners gardens garnishing the plates. Ann who is the general manager greets you with a warm smile upon arrival and is always there checking to make sure everything is just right and as you desire. Her staff are all extremely pleasant and most helpful and do so in a most sincere way. I would recommend this Inn to anyone and everyone! Thanks for a most memorable weekend in the Hamptons celebrating my brother's wedding day!

Room Tip: We stayed in the 1st room on the left, at the top of the stairs on the third floor.....I think it wa...
1 Thank maurnet
Everyone here at The Hedges Inn so appreciates your taking the time to let other people know what a great stay you had. We try our best and it's good to know when we are on track! It was our pleasure having you at the inn and well, you're room is ready for next summer!
All my best,

Hyatt Place Long Island East End
c/o The Maidstone
c/o The Maidstone
#5 of 12 in East Hampton

Been to The Hedges Inn? Share your experiences!