“Great Value”

Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Stuck in NYC for the night due to weather in the Midwest, a co-worker and I decided to make the best of it. This hotel was a great value and right next to the airport. Even with the planes taking off outside the window it wasn't very loud. We had a fantastic view of the city and the room was really clean and up to date as far as décor goes. The room was pretty small and the bathroom was smaller, but it's basically what one would expect in the city.

Service was great during check in and there is a nice gift shop in the lobby that had lots of odds & ends you might need (earmuffs anyone??). There's easy public transit a block away.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

Thank you so much for sharing your comments; we are thrilled you had such a positive experience at the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport. Although it can be inconvenient to have your travel plans altered, we are delighted that you and your coworker made the most of your extended stay in NYC while staying with us. We appreciate that you have let us know how much enjoyed the view from your room and we are glad that you found us to be a great value. We hope the next time you are in the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We recently stayed at this property and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. The rooms were clean and recently renovated and the staff was friendly and helpful......I want to especially thank the beautiful and talented server Chris Duran who was always smiling and catered to the group of 20+ workers that came from out of state. She is a treasure and a true asset to this property !! Thank you Chris !!

• Stayed: February 2014
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

We’re flattered by your many compliments, thank you. It is always our team’s goal to provide our guests with exceptional service and comfortable accommodations. The time you have taken to tell us about the wonderful service you encountered and our associate’s influence on your stay is greatly appreciated. We will be sure to share your review with everyone. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the privilege of welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 20, 2014

The hotel looks very nice, freshly renovated, modern, etc. Like you would expect a Courtyard to look. Not quite up to the Marriott standard however.

Negatives:
1. Thermostat: I stayed in two different rooms and they both had dysfunctional AC units (or thermostats). I woke up at 4:30am in a sweat, checked the thermostat and it was 83 degrees, even though it showed AC was on cool, and the temp was set to 70. In the second room, it was the same. I set it all the way down to 58, and the unit was still blowing out hot air. Front desk said something about seasonal heating, but regardless, it shouldn't get that hot in your room.

2. Restaurant: Hmm, no room service? Ok, no biggie I guess. So I go down to the restaurant and order a Caesar salad with grilled chicken. Huge freakin salad (which is good). Completely saturated in Caesar dressing (bad). Couldn't eat most of it because it was like drinking salad dressing. She forgot to bring silverware, I had to go find some, as well as pour my own glass of water. Then she tried to tell me I wasn't supposed to do that myself (where has she been for the last 5 minutes??). All I ordered was the salad, and a water, and after I finished they cleared the table - then it took an eternity for the server to bring my check. Restaurant was maybe half full so I think it was just understaffed.

3. Very difficult to get ahold of anyone on the phone (i.e. front desk) the phone just kept ringing and ringing. I found it was quicker to walk downstairs to the front desk.

Positives:
Nice hot tub, nice rooms (minus the heat), nice bed, good location (by airport). Also there is a nice convenience store (an actual store) open 24/7 down by the lobby.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for your review. All guest feedback, positive or otherwise is very important to us. While we are glad you enjoyed our location and amenities, we are sorry there were a few things amiss. It is always our goal to create a wonderful stay for all our guests and we deeply regret the issues and inconveniences that you may have encountered. Please know that your comments will be shared with our entire team and utilized to refresh our commitment to providing an exceptional experience to all our guests. We hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with a stay that surpasses your expectations.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Spent a day in upper Manhattan and wished to be close to La Guardia for an early morning flight. Courtyard was economically priced, about 1/2 mile from the airport and had shuttle service.

Walked in about 6 PM and greeted by Shawn W. who asked my last name and within 2 seconds called me by my first name. Knew I had requested a king size bed. What a warm sincere chap. In addition to our cards, he gave us 2 gourmet monster sized cookies in a heavy cellophane wrap tied with a neat white bow to thank us for choosing Courtyard.

Walking down the corridor I noted the multi-colored rugs were spotless, the illumination bright and even. We pass a Chinese maid who greets us with a most pleasant Merry Christmas. The room was spotless. A beveled mirror and broad graphic wall design in back of the bed add to its ambience. The bathroom was spotless, every grout line The tub had a huge seating edge for those who like to polish their toes.

About 5 minutes later there is a knock on the door. Room service with 3 large plush ultra white bath towels with white on white stripes. The gentleman said we know you have a guest with you, just want to be sure...

Go down for dinner at little early. The waiter says help yourself to coffee and tea while we're finishing setting up the buffet. Asked for lemons. The waiter brings over a whole plate of cut lemons.

The buffet selections were very attractive. What should be hot was hot and chilled, perfectly chilled. The soup, a creamy potage of vegetables and seafood was overly peppered for a delicate stomach, but the quality was there. The flamed beef slices were pink in the center (that's the way I like it) but the meat needs to be tenderized, and there are enzymatic and mechanical ways of doing this. Learned the chef was new, but he'll be fine.

From Caesar salad to desert, many choices all delicious.

We meet Antonio an engineer, very cordial guy, and we started to realize the employees all interact with each other in friendly ways. They seem to sense the customer is number one, and are proud to be in Marriott's employ.

The waiter brings us the bill; and says "Don't leave a tip", (it's included)..

I could feel the stratified levels of management making this operation what it is.

The next day we are anxious to be at the airport early and just missed out shuttle (every 15 minutes), so a driver named Hermes (how appropriate) says he'll take us there anyway.

So folks, whether this is rated as a 3 star hotel, I say higher, 4 star, higher, 5 star higher please. I'd rate the Courtyard as a 6 star hotel. The added star is for how they make the customer feel, like a star..

I would respectfully suggest some more traditional furniture in the lobby, get away from the jukebox look, some dignified tables and an occasional elegant lamp, but that's just my taste.
Maybe a statue for interest.. Oops, as I am leaving the foyer, there's a tall replica of the Statue of Liberty, on its monument base. How did I miss that?

New York City is multiethnic. Denizens are both earthy and urbanite. If you didn't meet enough nice people during your visit to Manhattan, that's because they're all working at Courtyard La Guardia..

Well done Courtyard, I'll be back.

Harold R (from Miami)

PS didn't hear a single plane
Stayed December 2013, traveled on business/pleasure
This review posted last month was credited to another person, hence resubmitted, as my positive endorsement still remains.

Room Tip: Let us preferences be known before you arrive and be mindful of your receptionist's name.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you so much for re-posting your review so that we are aware of the person who provided such a wonderful review. At the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, it is our goal to provide every one of our guests with an exceptional experience –service levels beyond compare, an array of amenities, and comfortable surroundings. Your review and the delightful comments you have shared are truly appreciated, as are your suggestions. Please visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here for a couple of nights while visiting my boyfriend's family in Brooklyn. The location is perfect for easy access to LaGuardia airport. Our room was comfortable, clean, quiet and spacious. The front desk staff was friendly (for New York) and helpful. We didn't try out the restaurant or bar. We were able to find street parking in front of the hotel for our rental car instead of paying the daily fee to park in their lot. Good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

We’re very glad you found the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport hotel to be so convenient while visiting your boyfriend’s family. It is extremely important to us that our guests feel comfortable, welcomed, and considers us to be a good value. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and hope that you will visit us again soon.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Ended up at this Marriott when my flight was canceled. It's pretty reasonably priced for the area, clean and safe. There's an on call airport shuttle. My checkout time was extended to try to help me out with the odd time of my rebooked flight. The soundproofing is extraordinary - no airport noise at all.
The restaurant is only so-so, overpriced, with poor service. Wait staff are flip, haphazard, and inattentive. I had to find the hostess to get my breakfast and lunch bills. But - way better than eating and sleeping for 24 hours in the airport!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Thank you for sharing your impressions regarding your recent stay at the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport. We are very glad that we could provide you with comfortable and affordable accommodations when your flight was canceled. Our hotel does offer, as you mentioned, complimentary 24-hour shuttle service to and from LaGuardia Airport for our guests’ convenience. We truly appreciate all your feedback and hope that in the future we will have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stay here for one night everything was beautiful it is a great hotel the only thing is that they need to be a little more friendly but i think is a New York thing "everyone is rude". The Only thing i didn't like was the heater was to warm and i want able to control it i had to open the windows but after that everything was perfect.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

The Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport Hotel is just minutes away from New York’s LaGuardia Airport and NYC major attractions, we are so glad you enjoyed our convenient location. Although you have stated that you liked our hotel, we were sorry to learn that you did not always encounter a friendly demeanor from our staff. Please know that we always strive to provide our guests with exceptional and friendly service and we apologize if at any time this was not evident. Thank you for your review and feedback. The next time you are visiting the area we hope that you will allow us the honor of welcoming you back.