“Decent airport hotel”

Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed November 28, 2013

This hotel is a good airport hotel because it is 5 minutes from LGA airport and the free hotel shuttle runs 24 hours a day. It is a bit pricey but equivalent to other comparable hotels in the area.

Aside from airport-related stays, the hotel is a big disappointment and we likely wouldn't return. The rooms are only average--they are standard Courtyard rooms. The continental breakfast was disappointing, though it does run quite late and that is nice. The hotel restaurant is not worth going to, especially because the service is not that great. The service at the hotel as a whole was disappointing, including the bellman who called us a car to take us into Manhattan and quoted us a total price, which ended up not including toll fees even though he said it was the total cost, but by the time we debated it, we were running late for our Broadway show. If you have to go anywhere from the hotel, take the airport van and catch a taxi at the airport. Do not use the hotel car service as it is a huge rip-off. They will not call you a yellow taxi at the hotel and there won't be any driving outside the hotel.

Long story short, if we needed a layover hotel near the airport, we would consider returning. Otherwise, not worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2013

It’s disappointing that although you’ve shared an appreciation for our hotel’s location, we were not able to impress you fully y during your stay. We would like to apologize for any miscommunications regarding the total cost of the car service. Thank you for letting us know about your experience, we hope that one day you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with an experience that surpasses your expectations.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This hotel is okay - average. I expected a better quality of towels, but not such a big deal. What was BIG DEAL is getting totally ripped off by the hotel's bell man, who apparently was in cohoots with the driver of a car service. I asked the Bell Man to call me a cab. Instead he called a car service for me. I was going two, 2 miles away to a school to give a presentation. First of all he went by the school and started driving away from it. When I asked what he was doing, he turned and went back to the school. He told me the fare was $30.00 for 2 miles and he would not take my credit card. I had many things on my mind and was a bit anxious about my presentation. I also didn't have time to argue with him. When I went back to the hotel and complained, the desk clerk shrugged her shoulders, as if she had no power. Later, I talked to a very nice guy who drives the hotel shuttle to the airport, and he agreed the fare was outrageous. He called the car service and they said they had no record of my trip, even though the dispatcher logs in every call from the hotel. Obviously, the Bell Man called the car driver without going through the dispatcher.
I have sent an e-mail to a manager at the Marriott - Mr. O'Brien five days ago, but no response.
I also sent an e-mail to the car service, and they responded promptly apologizing and indicating that my assumption was correct about the connection between the Bell Man and the car service driver.

Make sure you get the name and number of the car service if you use one in Queens.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Beth B
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

It is always disappointing to learn when a valued guest leaves our hotel feeling dissatisfied with their experience. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. We will look into this matter further as we do not have all the details at this time. Please accept our sincerest apologies for this unfortunate incident.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We waited at the Airport for over 30 minutes for the shuttle. Following the second phone call, 2 shuttles arrived at the same time. The original driver said he was held up in traffic. (Go figure! It is a 5 minute ride to get to the hotel.) Although very close to the airport, we heard no plane or street noise during our stay. The desk staff, waitresses & barmen were very efficient and friendly. The food was quite good with portions large enough for us to share a sandwich. (No extra plate charge.) Our room was clean & kept tidy. The desk staff assisted in getting 2 vans and drivers to take a dozen women into the city. They returned for us at the specified time & all went well. Two women then asked for directions to a local drug store. The van driver took the 2 women to the store, waited briefly & returned them to the hotel with no extra charge.
My room key was no longer working. I met Kenny Wong of Engineering at the elevator. He confirmed that I was registered in that room, opened my door & offered to go the desk for new keys. I saw my note for the maid was gone but no shower cap was provided. On his return with the new keys, Mr Wong then got a shower cap for me, filled our ice bucket & refused a well deserved tip. I suggested that he ask the maid for half of her tip. He's a keeper, Mr Manager.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are always happy to hear from our guests and truly appreciate that you chose to stay with us at the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport. Your gracious praise for our staff is greatly appreciated, thank you. We would like to take this moment to apologize to you for the delay you experienced with the shuttle and for the oversight regarding the shower cap. Thank you again for your review, we are so glad you enjoyed your visit. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Ended up here after our flight was cancelled due to bad weather. It's within viewing distance of the airport so there's the benefit of proximity. The neighbourhood surrounding it, though not terrible, looks suspect at first glance. There's a shuttle that runs to and from the airport free of charge, which is convenient.
The hotel itself is clean and bright. The lobby and restaurant area is vast and comfortable. Several televisions with surrounding furniture allow you to find some privacy if desired. The restaurant menu was small but varied enough to appeal to most tastes. We stayed in a king room, which was spacious.
The bed may be comfortable but my side had a slight slope to the outer edge, suggesting that it was caused by over use or a very heavy person. The bathroom is small with the tiniest shower I've ever seen in my life (thinking that a heavy person wouldn't be able to fit...that small). The walls are thin; we could hear our neighbours conversing lightly over the sound of our TV. Fortunately, it was a quiet night in the hotel.
For $200 per night, it seems a little high but that could be the going rate for this area (but I'd even be surprised by that). Four different taxes throw another $32 to the bill.
It wasn't a bad experience by any stretch so I'd recommend it if you were waylaid like we were, or if you were in town for a short stay and needed to be close to the airport.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your detailed review and for sharing your valuable insight. We were delighted that our spacious rooms and close proximity to the airport was enjoyed by you. We truly appreciate your recommendation and hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

As frequent hotel stayers we have noticed a trend among Marriott hotels: no air conditioning! When we called the front desk to ask why we couldn't seem to cool our hot and stuffy room they sent an engineer. He told us there is no more air conditioning only heat and offered to open the window. The noise from the highway and runway was so overwhelming we could not hear the tv or barely each other and the room quickly filled with fumes from the runway. We had to call the engineer back to close the window and had a sleepless night in a too warm airless room. The front desk people at this location are always very nice, nevertheless we won't be back!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Neil H
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Your feedback is welcomed, however it is disappointing your stay was not as you had anticipated. Once the temperatures outside begins to cool, the air conditioning system is shut down and the heat is turned on. We are very sorry that the temperature in your room was not optimal for you and we truly regret the impact it had on your night’s rest. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you to discuss your experience further. You can contact me directly by calling 718-446-4800 and asking for Mark Ranieri. Thank you.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was in 3 hotels in one week from lower Manhattan to Courtyard to Marquis. This is a nice place to relax until my next tourist trap (Time Square). I was on airport side and thought I wouldn't get any rest because of the planes, but it really was pretty quiet. Bed was the best one. Very clean. Desk personnel were nice, but the men that handled the ride in front were just awesome. Soooo nice & helpful. I got on the wrong bus coming back at night. I didn't know where I was, in pain, & scared. I called the hotel and they got a car to me very quick. Thank you so much. I was a little confused on where they actually wanted you to sit for meals & not drinks,

Room Tip: Don't worry much about the noise. I had no problem on airport side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay at the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport. It is always our desire to provide our guests with comfortable accommodations and exceptional service to ensure their stay with us is great. We were thrilled to hear that our associates took such good care of you and got you back to the hotel after your adventures. We hope that the next time you are visiting the area you will allow us the pleasure of welcoming you back.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Close to NYC, right next to La Guardia airport. Room is comfortable with ample living space and nicely decorated. Unfortunately parking is not included and neighbourhood did not feel the safest. We got super service from the restaurant staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
CourtyardNYLaGuardia, General Manager at Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport for your recent stay in the area. We are delighted that our location, rooms, and hotel staff were all enjoyed during your time here. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Please come back and see us again soon.