“Great place to stay on business - esp. NYS employees”

Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed November 15, 2007

I love love love this hotel. I travel quite often for business to the NYC area and this hotel is by far, one of my favorites. It's across the street from LGA and down the block from several car rental places. If you're driving around the area, it's located right on the Grand Central Parkway... extremely close to the exits for the BQE, the LIE, and the Jackie Robinson Pkwy.

If you're a NYS employee, they comp the breakfast buffet for you and it's totally worth it (especially the omletts!). Even if I had to pay for the buffett, I would. It's freshly prepared and not just muffins donuts and fruit like so many other places.

This hotel also offers free high speed internet which is perfect for the business traveler - many other hotels in the area make you pay ridiculous fees.

The rooms are spacious and clean and the front-desk staff is amazing-- Especially Frank!

The only downside is the expensive parking (which is expected in NYC anyway), but street parking is available for free.

I recently changed jobs so I won't be staying here anymore but I will miss it terribly!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport

Reviewed November 15, 2007

I booked a stay at the Courtyard by Marriott last Sunday night. This was an award stay.

Reception was friendly and fast.

I'm local and was able to get street parking around the corner.
There is nothing to do in the neighborhood. If you want to eat, take the hotel shuttle back to the airport!

I did have a drink in the spacious bar/lounge. Beer on tap was $6.50.

Free computer in the biz center, adjacent to the front desk.
Free coffee in the rear of the lobby area. It was from a machine and offered various drinks similar to the ones you would put money into.

My room, 407, faced the rear of the hotel. It overlooked a courtyard and an outdoor pool. No external/internal noises.

This room was renovated somewhere along the line. It passed the carpet test. :>)

The room was large and spacious. Good pillows and mattress. Marble bathroom. No complaints. Hairdryer available.

Lots of airline crews stay here.

All hotels should be this good!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed October 8, 2007

This is a pretty good place if you're flying out of LaGuardia. I assume that it would be fairly accessible to NYC if you decided to go there. We stayed here mainly due to the proximity to the airport for our early morning flight the next day. The complimentary shuttle was able to take us immediately to our destination the next morning.

I had no problems, and it was probably one of the better Courtyards I've stayed at. There was a wine and cheese reception on the night we stayed (a Friday) served up by a very nice "Statue of Liberty" and the atmosphere was friendly. The bar area was nice, but since I'm not a Mets fan, I couldn't really get into the ambience. :) We ate at the restaurant attached, which was fine, if a bit pricey, but we didn't really feel like venturing out, not knowing the area very well.

Everything was great, no complaints. If I ever to to NY again, I might stay there since the price was right (under $200) and there seemed to be opportunities to go into NYC directly from the hotel (which we didn't take). Do check pricing, though, because you should be able to get a good rate.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed September 17, 2007

This was the biggest disappointment of our trip. We booked it for one night since we were arriving late. We should have taken a cab into the city to stay at our primary hotel. Bathroom was tiny and tub didn't drain, walls are paper thin and the floor was filled with teenage partiers (who also mobbed the 'business center' to play computer games so I was unable to check my e-mail). The furniture was literally chipped and beaten, with entire strips of veneer missing. Most Marriott Courtyards we've stayed at had some kind of extras, but this place charges 15 dollars for a rather meager buffet, where the coffee is doled out grudgingly. Servers in the cafe were very nervous about people skipping without paying, and after the powdered eggs and unripe cantaloupe (or was it a potato?), I can see why, it's enough of an outrage to encourage larceny. The bar charges 7 dollars for a glass of beer, and I know people say 'it's New York", but it's not, it's East Elmhurst, not exactly a garden spot. NYC cabs will not service the hotel, so we were forced to take an overpriced town car to get to our far superior hotel in Manhattan. Pool is closed after Labor Day, something not mentioned on the website.

• Stayed: September 2007
Reviewed August 28, 2007

Our family of four stayed at this hotel for the US Open. They run a shuttle for $3 each way to the gates of the National Tennis Center. It was a great way to get there!

Check-in was very easy and fast. Harlan, the Front Desk Manager, was very efficient and friendly. We loved the cookies and lemonade in the lobby! Turns out there were "Make your own egg cremes" in the lobby that evening with none other than Lady Liberty herself serving them up. Even though we weren't into egg cremes, this was a really fun idea and speaks volumes about their efforts to welcome people to New York! (Too bad we had to leave before the beer sampling the following night!)

The room was clean and overlooked the runway at LaGuardia. My kids loved the view and we loved that there was no noise from the planes.

The pool is a bit old, but huge for a hotel pool. The indoor whirlpool was quite nice and was very hot. The gym looked good as well.

On the way in from the pool, we enjoyed free coffee and hot chocolate in the back part of the lobby. After drying off, we ordered room service that was delivered very quickly and with a few extras "just to show that we're nice here in New York!" Truly, that was the quote from the lovely woman who brought it up. She was not wearing a name tag and was quick to say that she didn't want anything from us, she just knew that we had kids and wanted us to enjoy ourselves.

After a great night's sleep, we went down to the breakfast buffet. That left a little to be desired, but the pastries were good.

Check-out was a breeze with more wonderful, friendly New Yorkers at the front desk. They were all so pleasant that there is clearly a wonderful atmosphere set by the management at this property.

We are planning to return to this hotel next year for the Open. The hotel would also be a great place for prior to or after a flight in or out of La Guardia. They run shuttles to the airport as well.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Stayed at the Courtyard La Guardia Airport the last weekend in April and absolutely loved it! Though we came decked in Red Sox clothing for the big weekend series vs. the hated Yankees, the staff was polite and courtious (although they threw a little friendly banter into the conversation, LOL). They also were very helpful in guiding us to a nearby bus stop and giving us directions to get on the subway from there, which took us right into Times Square.
Aside from the professional staff, the rooms, hallways and bathrooms matched the cleanliness of the lobby, something not often seen in area hotels. The bathroom, especially, was a welcomed surprise. As someone who travels frequently, this was by far the cleanest bathroom I've ever experianced in a hotel (even 5 star resorts!).
The one downside was the $15 breakfast. We were hoping for a convenient continental breakfast or cheap buffet and were a little turned off by the price. Still, we made our way back into the city for some authentic New York bagels, so I guess it worked out for the better.
Even though the reason we chose this hotel is because we had a free one night stay at a Marriott and this location was the closest we could get to Manhattan for our desired night, we all agreed that we would go out of our way to stay at the Courtyard by Marriott La Guardia again!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 29, 2006

Stayed here pre-cruise on Oct. 28th. The room was quiet and clean. We slept in and did not hear planes in the morning. The room had good sound insulation. The staff was very nice and helpful. I needed toothpaste and laundry detergent which they cheerfully provided. We ate dinner and breakfast at the hotel. The breakfast was very good, the dinner was sports-bar type food so I recommend going out if you can. However if you get there late like we did staying in is a good option. I think they also offered a van service to local restaurants. We booked the town car service from the hotel to the ship for $35. We inquired before we got there about a car service and they didn't know about it. However at check-in there was a sign to book with the bell captain. It was trouble free and the car was clean (which is a rarity if you get a cab so a town car was a nice idea). I would stay here again when staying in NY. They also offer a van service to Times Square. There is a concierge who contacts you to assist with such things prior to your stay.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens
Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing

Been to Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport? Share your experiences!