“Bed bugs. Cockroach. Enough said.”

Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed September 6, 2011

After an amazing five-night stay in Manhattan, our flight home out of LaGuardia was cancelled at the last minute. Desperate for some sleep, we thought we'd try this place.

The room we received was in the basement. Not completely underground ... but below grade. It was dirty: stained carpets, stained bed spread, hair all over the washroom, etc.

This prompted me to inspect the mattress. A quick check revealed three dead bed bugs along the seam on one side of the bed. At that point, we decided to leave and take our chances with a night at the airport.

As we were leaving the room, a cockroach scurried across the floor and under the garbage bin. Seriously.

We demanded our money back. The front desk staff was apologetic and courteous and we caught the next shuttle back to LaGuardia where we slept on the floor.

The floor at LaGuardia = better than this place. Don't stay here ... and if you do, maybe ask for an above-ground room.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 162Traveller

Reviewed August 1, 2011

I generally don't stay at the Comfort Inn unless I get stuck at an airport due to weather. These places aren't fancy, but they tend to be available, and provide a bed and they aren't expensive. This place certainly fits that bill. A very tiny room - I'm thinking maybe 135 sq. feet, smelly lobby, just one vending maching with some drinks and crackers. But, the van came and got us, we paid around $130 which ain't bad on no notice in NYC, and free breakfast.

Keep your expectations really really low and hopefully you can get a decent night's sleep.

Room Tip: May be able to get something better if you book in advance.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doctorgooz
Reviewed July 28, 2011

From the moment I checked in, the staff was helpful and courteous. I would
absolutely recommend this to anyone who is looking for something close to LGA
and enjoys fresh blueberry waffles to start their day off!

Room Tip: Book on ChoiceHotels.com
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 19, 2011

I dont like to diss a place unless its deserved. Checked in late last night after an all day flight. Tiiiny room, dirty bed covers (yeah it looked like some you know what) and an AC that pumped out hot air. The friendly desk guy tried to fix it twice bit we had to turn it off and sleep with our street level window open. Guy said he would have moved us but the hotel was totally full. Also they dont/ cant call yellow taxis for a ride into manhattan so had to do a 45$ town car. Nice free airport shittle though. Sorry, my stay here sucked.

• Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank Z L
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This was a pretty basic hotel. Definitely nothing fancy. The rooms were very small, but I think this is probably typical of New York. The staff was nice.
It was pretty clean, although there were some stains on the carpet. The bathroom was clean.
The free continental breakfast was a nice perk. The parking lot does not have quite enough spots in it for every room, but there was room the night we stayed as well as street parking right in front of the hotel.
The showers were a bit weird. We could not figure out how to switch the tub to shower...it's a little hidden ring around the tub faucet.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank marston258
Reviewed December 30, 2010

I normally stay another chain but their airport location was sold out and my flight into NYC a night earlier was last minute, so I picked this hotel. We'll start with the good....the bed was comfortable, the room was clean and, while small, I didn't find it to be too small considering it's New York and that the price was very reasonable. There was a hair dryer, a coffee maker and a big flat screen in the room, so that was nice. Also, the front desk staff was helpful, letting me check out an noon instead of 11am, which, unlike most hotels in the area, was their usual checkout time (??). Now the bad..f.irst, this place offers an airport shutttle, but it's not their own, it's a service they hire and let me tell you, the service is pitiful! I waited over an hour in the freezing cold for the shuttle and when he did pick me up finally, I could have sworn he'd been drinking. Either that or he's just a terrible driver!!! I'm betting a taxi would have gotten me there faster and in less fear of my life! The heater in the room worked well (so good marks for that) but every time it kicked on it was like a freight train was coming through the room, and I'm not a light sleeper either. Thin walls....I mean REALLY thin...I could hear an entire conversation between "Stan" and "Dear" on one side of me and let's just say there must have been a young couple on their honeymoon on the other side. If you're going to stay here...bring your earplugs!!! Then, at 8am this morning the housekeeping people started coming around. Stan and his wife and the honeymoon couple must have all checked out really because in rolls housekeeping at 8am...slamming doors...over and over and over again....talking loudly to each other across the hall as they cleaned the rooms. REALLY??? I actually had to open my door and ask them if they could please keep it down! The only hot item for breakfast was waffles...they basically had assorted pastries and cereal...toast and bagels, but that was pretty much it. Suffice it to say, the good did NOT outweight the bad and I will not be staying here again!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 3, 2010

I agree with most of the comments already made. The rooms are, indeed, quite small; but mine was comfortable and clean. The heating/cooling system was intuitive and easy to operate (can't say that about many of the hotels I've stayed in). The bathroom space was well laid out and my only complaint on that front was that the bath towels could have been thicker. The bed and pillows were average or above for this class of hotel. I appreciated that the bedside lamp had a brightness adjustment as well as an easily accessible outlet for my PDA (I didn't have to root around behind the bed which is so often the case). The room was relatively quite given its proximity to Laguardia and a major thoroughfare.

The continental breakfast was disappointing, with a limited selection of institutional pastries and unidentifiable dry cereal. On the plus side, a housekeeper was in the area who was kind enough to operate the waffle maker for anyone who wanted that breakfast item. Seating and the overall the space was tight and guests had to work around each other to select items.

The hotel has no other eating facilities (except a vending machine in the lobby), but there is take-out Chinese and an Italian restaurant/bar within easy walking distance. I opted for the Italian place which was boisterous, but served good linguini.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
Ibis Styles New York Laguardia Airport
Hampton Inn New York - LaGuardia Airport
Best Western Plus La Guardia Airport Hotel Queens

Been to Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St? Share your experiences!