“Good, Bad & Unexpected”

Hampton Inn New York - LaGuardia Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The good...large rooms, A/C is great, typical hotel breakfast, good service, convenient shuttle from the airport, comfortable beds. If you are flying in for baseball game, it close to either ball park.
Bad...the only places to eat are at the Marriott or the LaGuardia Plaza hotel on either side of the Hampton or pizza delivery. Don't expect an early check-in regardless of Hampton policy. We waited in the lobby for three hours being told "just 10 more min. and your room will be ready" over and over again. Precisely at 3PM all the people waiting for early check-in were all given a room key. We were a little disappointed with the cleanliness of the bathroom. Some hair (not belonging to us) on the floor and behind the bathroom door was enough hair to make a wig...clearly not cleaned for some time...Kind of gross, actually. I was most unhappy with the unexpected $60. per room OVERCHARGE to my credit card. When I call to investigate...This particular Hampton will charge you an extra $60. for possible incidentals and/or damage to the room. Not a hold on your credit but an actual charge that will be refunded in 7 to 10 days after check out. I will most likely stay at the LaGuardia Plaza hotel right next store and forego the Hilton Honor points.

Room Tip: If you do choose to stay here, get a room on the lobby side. You will have less airplane noise in t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank mgt065
Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We selected this hotel for its proximity and ease of access to La Guardia Airport. That's about where the experience ended. The hotel staff lost, not one, but two reservations. They were not very helpful in correcting the problem either. Our room appeared ok, except the air conditioning had two settings, sweltering and meat locker. The television in the room didn't work, and the drain plug for the bathtub was missing. Hotel staff once again were little help in correcting any issues, and since they were full could not relocate us.

The following mornin breakfast was dismal. Kitchen staff could not keep up with demand, most of the food was not replenished, and what was left was awful quality. The breakfast room was disastrous, tables were not cleared and garbage bins were overflowing. Overall it was one of the worst hotel experiences I've had as of late. Not what one would expect from a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here only 1 night but liked the front desk service and the room was average to above average. We had supper at the Marriott since we arrived lated. The breakfast was of good quality the next morning.

There is limited parking at this hotel and we moved some cones for a parking spot and had a nasty note on our car the next day but luckily we were not towed.

Overall, if I am in the LaGuardia area, I would stay here for the breakfast & location but not for the city (see my other reviews for closer Manhattan locations).

I still rate a 4 for clean room, food & staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Langroch
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the Hampton Inn New York and simply loved it. The front desk people were wonderful. GM was very friendly . I had a beautiful room that was so comfortable. Excellent breakfast bar with a wonderful staff and very good food. Exellent hotel that I hightly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcela C
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Took my son to NYC for a vacation. We flew into LGA and was pleased to find out our hotel was very close to the airport. The room was very spacious, and the beds were more than comfortable. Breakfast is free and offers a wide variety of choices. My only complaint is the lack of shuttle service from the subway station. The shuttle only drops off, and will not pick up. This means getting on a bus to get back to the hotel from the subway. The closest station is about two miles away, and to say this part of Queens is sketchy is an understatement.
My son and I went to a Yankees game and getting back to the hotel is an adventure in itself. A train back to Manhattan and then a $35 taxi ride to the hotel.
But otherwise, I am very satisfied with the hotel, the staff and the amenities. I WOULD stay again. And I should say that, even with the transportation challenges, it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you stay here, and want to get to Manhattan, plan on at least 1.5 hours to get there by subway fr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed August 9, 2012

First impressions mean a lot and when you come into a hotel with very dirty carpets, your expectations are set pretty low. Room carpets were nasty and bathroom floor sticky.

This hotel is only a few years old but it looks worn out already. I stayed here a few years ago and it was nice but I think this is the last. I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and I have stayed at many Hampton Inns because I can count on good quality at a reasonable price on a consistent basis. This hotel does not meet Hamptons standards of quality.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Better than expected, stayed here when we got stuck at LGA. Hotel is very close to the terminal, has clean rooms and a friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was great, what you normally find at a Hampton Inn. There is no food/bar in the hotel, however there is a restaurant and bar in the Marriott which is directly across the street (not a busy street, easy walk) and also a restaurant in another hotel directly next door. Overall we were pleasantly surprised and would not hesitate to stay here next time we are stuck at LGA.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St
0 mi away
New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing

Been to Hampton Inn New York - LaGuardia Airport? Share your experiences!