“Very poor experience, shameful”

Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in East Elmhurst
Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

We selected this hotel for its proximity and ease of access to La Guardia Airport. That's about where the experience ended. The hotel staff lost, not one, but two reservations. They were not very helpful in correcting the problem either. Our room appeared ok, except the air conditioning had two settings, sweltering and meat locker. The television in the room didn't work, and the drain plug for the bathtub was missing. Hotel staff once again were little help in correcting any issues, and since they were full could not relocate us.

The following mornin breakfast was dismal. Kitchen staff could not keep up with demand, most of the food was not replenished, and what was left was awful quality. The breakfast room was disastrous, tables were not cleared and garbage bins were overflowing. Overall it was one of the worst hotel experiences I've had as of late. Not what one would expect from a Hampton Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport

Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed here only 1 night but liked the front desk service and the room was average to above average. We had supper at the Marriott since we arrived lated. The breakfast was of good quality the next morning.

There is limited parking at this hotel and we moved some cones for a parking spot and had a nasty note on our car the next day but luckily we were not towed.

Overall, if I am in the LaGuardia area, I would stay here for the breakfast & location but not for the city (see my other reviews for closer Manhattan locations).

I still rate a 4 for clean room, food & staff.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Langroch
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed 4 nights at the Hampton Inn New York and simply loved it. The front desk people were wonderful. GM was very friendly . I had a beautiful room that was so comfortable. Excellent breakfast bar with a wonderful staff and very good food. Exellent hotel that I hightly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Marcela C
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Took my son to NYC for a vacation. We flew into LGA and was pleased to find out our hotel was very close to the airport. The room was very spacious, and the beds were more than comfortable. Breakfast is free and offers a wide variety of choices. My only complaint is the lack of shuttle service from the subway station. The shuttle only drops off, and will not pick up. This means getting on a bus to get back to the hotel from the subway. The closest station is about two miles away, and to say this part of Queens is sketchy is an understatement.
My son and I went to a Yankees game and getting back to the hotel is an adventure in itself. A train back to Manhattan and then a $35 taxi ride to the hotel.
But otherwise, I am very satisfied with the hotel, the staff and the amenities. I WOULD stay again. And I should say that, even with the transportation challenges, it is a good place to stay.

Room Tip: If you stay here, and want to get to Manhattan, plan on at least 1.5 hours to get there by subway fr...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dennis D
Reviewed August 9, 2012

First impressions mean a lot and when you come into a hotel with very dirty carpets, your expectations are set pretty low. Room carpets were nasty and bathroom floor sticky.

This hotel is only a few years old but it looks worn out already. I stayed here a few years ago and it was nice but I think this is the last. I am a Hilton Honors Diamond member and I have stayed at many Hampton Inns because I can count on good quality at a reasonable price on a consistent basis. This hotel does not meet Hamptons standards of quality.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 4, 2012

Better than expected, stayed here when we got stuck at LGA. Hotel is very close to the terminal, has clean rooms and a friendly staff. The breakfast buffet was great, what you normally find at a Hampton Inn. There is no food/bar in the hotel, however there is a restaurant and bar in the Marriott which is directly across the street (not a busy street, easy walk) and also a restaurant in another hotel directly next door. Overall we were pleasantly surprised and would not hesitate to stay here next time we are stuck at LGA.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank BandRfl
Reviewed August 3, 2012

Minutes away from LGA. Large rooms with large flat screen TV. Large uncluttered desk and fast internet make this hotel business friendly. Dunkin Donuts nearby. Also Popeyes. Other than that not much else in the area that I have found to eat at. Flushing Chinatown not too far away though. Cleaner and newer than the one in Manhattan. Gives all three bathroom essentials - shampoo, conditioner and lotion. Many not giving lotion anymore - demerits to all of those. Pricey like most NY area hotels.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near East Elmhurst
LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York
Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport
New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott
Comfort Inn LaGuardia Airport - 83rd St
Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing
Hyatt Place Flushing/LaGuardia Airport

Been to Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport? Share your experiences!