The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Reviewed July 18, 2008

My family and I have just returned from the Country Place Resort. From the moment we checked in, we knew that the staff here was going to be very accomodating, and throughout our stay we found this to be the case. Our two bedroom suite was spacious for our family ( my husband, myself, 14 year old son, 14 year old nephew and 2 year old daughter). The room was clean and comfortable, and we had a very large private deck. Our room was located directly next to the pool, and right across from the main house where the dining room, game room, and bar were located. The resort guests also have a private entrance to the water park, and it is all so safe and self contained there is no fear of allowing older children to come and go as they please. Although there is a small road seperating the property, it was never an issue for us, as most of upstate NY has roads that double as walkways. There were no speeding cars, in fact there were barely any cars, as the roads are mostly uitilized by the golf carts the staff tools around in. NOT a problem. The meals were plentiful and the food is basically unlimited for hearty appetites. If your looking for 5 star gourmet dining, then this is not for you, but for good, old fashioned hearty meals that are very kid friendly, the resort is perfect. We ordered cocktails after meals that were easily charged to the room and were fairly priced. Tip envelopes are left on your table on the last morning of your stay, and since the wait staff rotates, it is totally up to you how to handle this. We gave the tip directly to our waitress on the first two days, but then we decided to utilize the envelopes.
We had car trouble during our stay and the staff came right over to help. One of the groundkeepers went to the adjacent water park to get mechanic who came right over to help us. On our final day we again had car trouble and the former owner of the resort, Mr. Frank Aragona, (he is fixture at the resort and is always around overseeing things) jumped into action and within minutes he placed a call to the local service shop, where our car was repaired at a fair price in a short time. We had to stay a bit longer than the check out time of 11 and again, the staff was accomodating.
We were originally booked to stay here for 3 nights/4days but we enjoyed it so much we decided to stay an extra night. If your family enjoys unlimited access to a water park, nighttime family activities, and relaxation in a friendly atmosphere, then this is the resort for you! We are already planning to return next year. ( We met several families who return during the same week every year!)

The Vulpi Family

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed March 24, 2008

What a great family resort!!!!!! My wife and I felt comfortable letting our 10 and 12 year old children go across the pedestrian bridge to the Zoom Flume Water Park by themselves. The whole atmosphere felt so safe and relaxing. Our children had such a great time with everything. We did the water park two days, Howes Caverns and Baseball Hall of Fame. At night, the social director kept us entertained with different activities. The kids loved the karaoke and the bon fire at night. Now the food......it was delicious. You get a few choices of entrees a night along with tasty deserts. We had a two bedroom suite that was just right. Not too fancy but clean and roomy. I recommended The Country Place to friends of ours.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank TheTravelingWilburys
Reviewed February 8, 2008

I just wanted to say what a great long weekend our family had at The Country Place Resort. The accomodations and hospitality that was displayed went beyond our expectations. We arrived with an additional child and were accomodated without question. In addition, our room was gorgeous and all of the staff were very helpful (in particular for arranging a horseback riding , and pizza for the kids).

The entire weekend was full of relaxation and fun, and we could not be happier. We have made friends with several other families from Long Island and we are currently making plans to meet again at your resort. Finally, and this is the best part, my three boys (two 10 year olds and a 12 year old) were THRILLED!!! with your resort. In this day and age, that is really something to brag about! They cannot agree on their favorite part. It is a toss up between fishing from the peddle boats and spending countless hours at the Zoom Flume Water Park. For myself, a safe, happy environment where kids are welcome and enjoyed is a rare luxury. We look forward to our next holiday at The Country Place Resort.

MEB

1  Thank meb538
Reviewed September 2, 2007

I stayed here two years ago and thougt the place was nice. The rooms were a little dirty (hair in the tub and on the sheets) but the food was excellent and the kids loved the water park.

We went back again thinking it would be the same. The rooms were still a little diry, but the food was not good at all. The service was also slow. We were very disappointed. We were hoping to find a place to come year after a year. Not taking that chance!

Reviewed August 23, 2007

My mother-n-law treated my family (2 adults & 4 kids) and my husband's brother's family (2 adults and 2 kids) to a trip to the Catskills where most of us spent our Summers as kids. We stayed here for 3 nights. The room was clean and spacious. We each had a one bedroom suite which fit all of us comfortably. It had a nice deck with a table, chairs and umbrella which we used to chit chat and eat lunch. Room has ample towels and fridge. Small coffee pot too. I was not impressed with house keeping at all. They more or less just made the beds. Didn't tidy up the room and left the fold out couch open, which was strange. Breakfast and dinner was included and the food was good...not great...but good for the price. The staff is very friendly and eager to make you happy which is nice. There is a nightly activity and Tyler who is the Social Director goes out of his way to make you happy. The wait staff is young college-aged kids, so enough said. They could be a little quicker, but very friendly for the most part. The resort is directly affiliated with Zoom Flume Water Park and there is unlimited admission, which was great for the kids. You also get discounted tickets to Horseback riding at Tanglewood Ranch and the Speedway Fun Park. Tanglewood Ranch was filthy, but the kids loved the horseback riding. The go-carts and mini-golf at the Speedway was fun and the kids enjoyed snowcones after their ride. This resort is centrally located in "The Irish Alps", however, bring extra snacks, toiletries, ice, medicine, etc. There is a general store in town but it is pricey and the stock is limited. I had to drive almost 30 minutes away to find a pharmacy just to purchase Tylenol. The pool is nice and is heated. The rooms are located across the street. The road is rather busy to be honest and people tend to speed, so mind the little ones! The playgrounds are very nice for the kids and there is plenty to do like ping pong, shuffle board, bocce ball, tennis, etc. The grounds are well maintained. The last night we enjoyed a marshmellow roast and an outdoor movie. The kids got cool cowboy hats during the Western-themed buffet dinner and got cool backpacks that they colored with fabric markers. The kids all had a ball. My only pet peeve was the tip envelopes. I do not like being "forced" into tipping. Other than that it was a very nice stay and we would definitely stay there again.

Reviewed July 26, 2007

We stayed in July, the rooms had all the basic things you needed in the rooms, enough towels for the four of us and even had little soaps and little containers of lotion and shampoo if needed. They had a fridge and coffee pot also. We stayed five days and kept our clothes in the suitcases, why bother unpacking and packing again. There was a door mat inside the door, and the room seemed freshly painted. It seemed to be updated; paved sidewalks, pool was in great shape, with new bricking around the pool. My kids were 14 and 15, old enough to be out of my sight and walk across the country road between the buildings, it was not a highly used road. We had arm bands to go into the Zoom Flume park as much as we wanted, the kids went several times. They enjoyed the pool and learned how to play tennis, also.
In the evening we listened to the Kareoke singers for awhile, we didn't have the nerve to get up ourselves. One night my husband and I sat at the outside fire til 11 pm. The last night we were there, my daughter and I learned how to play bocce, she got farther then me in the competition.
The resort was half the prices of the other resorts in the area that I checked into. We did go Horseback riding one day at a nearby stable,at a discounted price because we were staying at the resort. Why stay at the ranches that cost twice as much, since we only rode once. We also got half price tickets to Cooperstown baseball hall of fame, and I used my triple AAA card at the Howe Caverns, How neat they were to see.
It is made very clear that you pay the cost of the bill when you get there, Most other places we have been to do the same, Ocean city Maryland condo's for the week and Best Western in Mystic Seaport Connecticut, for example.
The room was clean, when we got there, and the food was good. Always had alot to eat, appetizers at supper, deserts, and a choice of 3-4 entrees, which also came with salads if you wanted. Breakfast was made to order, like eggs, french toast, omelets, etc. I do not drink alcohol, but they made virgin pina coladas for me, and my husband had rum and diet coke. We aren't big drinkers.
Yes, the area was not very rich , no high tech industry in the area for people to work at. The only day we went anywhere was to Cooperstown and Howe Caverns, there were lots of beautiful mountain scenery and farmlands to enjoy. The one rainy day we had, the girls rented a DVD player and watched some movies they brought along for the 3 1/2 car ride up.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank may1756
Reviewed September 11, 2006

Stayed the weekend before Labor Day. A two bedroom suite for my family of four came out at about $425 a night. Way too much for this place. We had one rainy day and the water park was closed so it was a ridiculously expensive stay. Housekeeping is a problem. The room had someone else’s hair in clumps on the bathroom floor. Also there are no welcome mats to wipe your feet (in our room at least) so everything outside comes in. The food - OK (I'm always dieting anyway and my expectations were low). The bar had no top shelf booze. The place is really a small motel with a great pool. The water park is good for the under 12 set for a day or two tops. That makes this a far drive from NYC for a one night stay. Also don't book unless you’re sure to have nice weather. There is nothing to do at the "resort" or within an hours drive on a rainy day.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
#2 of 3 in Greenville
The Thompson House
The Thompson House
#3 of 7 in Windham

Been to The Country Place Resort at Zoom Flume Water Park? Share your experiences!