“Catskill Mountain Thunder”
Review of Blackthorne Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Durham
Blackthorne Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Syracuse, New York
“Catskill Mountain Thunder”
Reviewed September 20, 2010

Blackthorne "Resort [sic]" hosts "Catskill Mountain Thunder" motorcycle rally....one of the largest and last of the motorcycling season. After reviewing their web-site and particularily their "room photo gallery" I called to book a room for two for the weekend. The outrageous rate of $235.00 per person - a total of $470.00 - included a $100.00 event fee and a $40.00 pig roast fee; meaning that per person the room rate per nite was - $82.50 or $165.00 [for two/per nite]. The phone was answered then I was hung up on when inquiring about their "Deluxe Suite [includes Hot-tub, private terrace, beautifully appointed rooms]." I re-phoned and was told a "Deluxe Suite" was available and booked it - a $100.00 non-refundable deposit charged to my credit card. At check in, the flippant clerk gave me some-elses room unbeknownest to me. Imagine my horror when upon opening the "Suites [sic]" door I found myself in a run down 8'X8' room with twin beds. I promptly returned to the office and explained that I had be given the wrong room as I had booked a "Deluxe Suite". I was told that thier phone booking person had made a mistake as there hadn't been any suites available for weeks. I was given a double bed room that was clean but equally run down - not at all what I had paid for or expected. During the entire stay, most staff were rude and inexperienced, the included meals barely eatible. Those MC'ing the events - simply laughable.....winging their duties to thousands of attendees. I will not attend this joke of a event again and will pass the word along to all I meet. For a real - old school - affordably priced - well organized biker rally - SPEND YOUR HARD EARNED DOLLARS AT - THE HARLY RENDEVOUS

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Olskol-Biker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
West Milford, NJ
Reviewed August 8, 2010

I feel bad about what I am going to write. The people who own this resort and who work here are kind, helpful, and hard working. I agree with other reviewers that this resort must have been something else in its "heyday." But today, it is so rundown and old that you would be better off camping. It appeared to me that our room had not been updated since it was first built, probably in the 1960s...no kidding. Stained carpets, raggedy old blankets, broken furniture, dirty outdated curtains, very squeaky beds, stained ceilings, broken pipes, rotted decks, rusty deck furniture, peeling paint, etc. There was a dead, decaying mouse in the drawer to our dresser and cobwebs everywhere we looked. I understand that I am in the mountains and this is a possibility. What I don't understand is how it could have been left there for so long. Just about everything throughout the resort is rusty, old, and broken down such as benches, tables, stairways, recreational equipment. It is sad to say, but the Catskills, though beautiful, do not offer very much in the summer anymore. As we rode through this whole area, all the hotels looked to be in poor condition. There is very little to do in the area other than relax and enjoy nature.
I do want to state some of the nice things about the Blackthorne. First of all, our 8 year old loved it. The playground, although completely outdated, was just perfect in her eyes. The pool area is decent. We thought the food was decent and it was a nice touch that they give you a bottle of wine with your Saturday dinner. The complimentary cordial and coffee bar was great, too. They have a petting zoo which was nice for our daughter. The nightclub had good music and the bartenders were fun and friendly. The grounds are nice and the mountains surrounding the resort are beautiful, but I could not recommend this resort in good conscience.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
4 Thank daryllynn10
Sunset
Reviewed July 18, 2010

Was given the choice of a C class or B class room. Took the C class cos it was cheaper. Still cost $85 + Taxes. The room was drab, gloomy and dated. Nothing in the room was made after 1980. Sheets were old thread bare and worn. Room was tiny with a window type AC that didn't seem to be providing any cool air! After looking the room over I decided it would have to do for the night as there was a lack of any accommodation in the area. I went to leave and the door was jammed shut. it left me stuck in the room for over half an hour. After 2 members of staff tried and failed to release the door they decided to kick it in. Finally I was free and left without an apology or a suggestion of a new room.
I returned later that night and to my dismay on opening the repaired door i found somebody asleep in my room. I woke the gentleman to find that they had rented the room to him before renting it to me. No staff member was on hand to deal with my problem and I was forced to sleep in my car till a representative could be found. I didn't get a new bed till 8am and after dealing with several members of the Blackthorne staff received no apology or refund for my trouble. It goes without saying that it was a horrendous experience and the lack of professionalism by the staff was deeply troubling. Thank God I was on my own and didn't have my small children with me. For a place that tries to sell to people with kids I would be very reluctant in suggesting any one should stay here. In fact I go as far as saying stay away. It was drab, dirty, broken down and trashy and no one there seemed to the slightest bit concerned with my situation.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
6 Thank Traddav
Valley Forge, PA
Reviewed July 14, 2010

The staff (family, I believe) is very accommodating and pleasant but the overall condition of the property is very poor. Having read other negative comments I booked their top tier room and package (The "A" Plan) hoping for the best. The first room (#111) I was given was apparently used by a family of cats before I arrived. The smell was awful. The second room (311) was fine except, like the rest of the property, very old and worn. This is the type of family resort that was probably very popular and well maintained back when Carter was in office.

The breakfast and dinner was included with the "Plan A" package. I ate off premises. Enough said.

They did have good WI FI covering the entire resort including the outdoor areas.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank siggreg
Glen Cove, New York
Reviewed July 6, 2010

This past winter I suggeted going to Disney World for our vacation this year. My daughter's frist words where "are we still going to The Black Thorne".
When I explained the cost of a trip for 4 from NY to FLa would not allow it. "She said forget it" stating that our anual 4th of July weekend with 3 to 4 other couples and their families who are long time friends was a" Tradition". My wife and I started going to East Duram with these frinds when we were all just dating staying different locations over the years. Since finding this great place we have stayed no where else. Bob the owner is a kind, gentle soul. Who will does his best to make sure his guests have a good time. He and his family are a leading force keeping this town alive. Bob's son's Roy and Dale are doing the work of 10 men keeping up and improving this huge,beautiful property and other area attrations. Growing up in Queens and living on LI this vacation to me is "roughing it". Know and enjoy where you are, you are not staying in Manhatten at The 4 Seasons. This is a constant work in progress and labor of love by a family who loves this area and seeing people have great fun. Some of the rooms have their problems but the staff will do their best to make you happy. You come here to be outdoors with friends and families and others who enjoy the Irish's zest for life and love of a good time. My room is for sleep, shower and to cool off and recharge my batteries while checking in on a ball game. The encluded breakfast and dinners satisfy. Again your are not at a 5 star resturant. . But there are often surprise menu items which please most. People come here to relax and let there hair down while not have to worry about the safety of their children or leaviing the resort often to have a great time. Yes there are those who over imbibe and do things they don't remember or regret in the morning, but few to judge as most here have been there at one time or another. Bob and his family are loved by locals,bikers,families, and all people old and young. I have never seen any major trouble in all the years I've stayed here. A family of 4 can visit 3 to 4 times a year for the prise of 1 trip to Disney. My daughter is wise, from the mouth of babes...

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank BigStrongMan
Glen Cove
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I came here to post my review as a person who has been to East Durham with my friends, hubshands and now children for 25+ years and was so disappointed in the reviews I just read on here as we have stayed everywhere there is in East Durham and we truly found the perfect place when we found the Blackthorne 10 years ago. The owners treat us all like family and welcome us with open arms. There are different level rooms and I just stayed in what was like the four seasons of the catskills with a patio that overlooked the entire property. The service is amazing and everyone is extremely accommodating. In addition, this family is single handedly rebuilding the place I grew up in and loved so much and some of us were conceived there and so were some of our children. They send vans to take you horse back riding and to go carts. THey put on a firework show better than any show I have seen in long island or nyc, sitting poolside with music and dancing --- in a chair watching your children roasting marshmellows. I was shocked to see some of these reviews because if you know this area this is the by far the best place in town. The property is impeccable I dont know how they do it. I have stayed in places just blocks from them where the grass was so high you lost your kids and the bug bites so severe, broken beds, etc. Never has this happened in the blackthorne. The pool is clean and well taken care of......The owner and his sons have done so much for my family, my many friends and our children we truly are so grateful to them. My kids write about the blackthorne every year going back to school as their favorite part of the summer. If you are dissapointed in the blackthorne I am curious to know if you ever stayed anywhere else in east durham. Also the way they treat the campers are as good as they treat us hotel guests and i always feel so welcome there. I cannot say enough good things about the blackthorne and I am so glad that Bob the owner has such wonderful sons and grandchildren who are keeping the "east durham jewel" alive. It is hard to make everyone happy of course but they do a real good job of accommodating many different age groups, lifestyles and are always updating entertainments. They even have wi fi with internet access which is truly amazing in an area that can' barely get cell phone coverage. THey go out of their way to stay up with the times while giving you the old fashioned fun of your childhood memories. We started going there as kids with our parents, then with a group of girlfriends then with our boyfriends that turned into our husbands and now with our kids and it gives them a sense of pride. There playround is extremely safe and updated but has the merry go rounds we loved as children that you cant find in the city or long island, the kids can roam around and have freedom and be safe and the views are incredible. I thank my stars every year for this family that runs this place and many others in east durham and hope they continue to preserve the best memories of my life.....

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kimlovesblackthorne
Woonsocket, Rhode Island
Reviewed June 7, 2010

Just came back yesterday from 3 days at Blackthorne Resort. Went with another couple all of us are between 47 and 56. Upon arrival we were greeted by 2 friendly ladies behind the desk who quickly handed us our keys , in and out in under 5 mins.

ROOM: Stayed in these little red cabins just towards the back of the big field and pool area. I must be honest our room was not as nice as our traveling partners. Old bed spreads, spiders on the wall that I killed with my flip flop, tiny nightstand from the 1970's, our radio/tape deck that was built in the wall didn't work, our jacuzzi didn't work and we asked the owner himself to please check it out , he came up looked at it and said he would get someone to look at it the next day. Noone showed up . Don't pay for the "Ultra Deluxe Room" nothing works. They have venitian blinds that are all bent and broken in front of the glass slider doors (NO CURTAINS) so we had to pull the bedspread off of the unused bed and hung it over the doors at night .

FOOD: Must say the food and service at the chow hall was good. Had a buffet one night pretty good Irish shepard pie, excellent meatballs (my husband and I both cook so we know food) Lemon chicken was great, Desserts- not so great -all store purchased pies and jello. Breakfast choice of eggs, make your own waffles, donuts, bagels, muffins- all good ! Coffee pots all need to be replaced- very old and coffee stained . We had a Bar-B-Que on Saturday- Food was very good, chicken, pulled pork, corn on the cob, baked beans. And get this FREE Beer and Margaritas for 2 hours. Beer good , Margaritas nice and frozen but couldn't taste any tequila .

Grounds: Very different, funny looking buildings everywhere , pool water looked a tint of green but it's the beginning of the season and they might have just opened it. The campground part of this place appears to be brand new, gravel rock in all sites we saw during our walk, all seasonal campers occupy most all sites as they all have elaborate new decks they built, didn't see any open sites for weekend warriors. They have NO MAPs to the place which they need if they want to have more campers come in. There is a lot of loose animals running around this place, Roosters, Chickens, Bunnies
and a few caged zoo animals( Peacock, Llama, Turkey and billy goats) they don't seem to be cared for very well , in small cages with dirty water in coolers they drink from.

All in all we had a good time , next time I would take my own camper instead of the cabins they offer , we heard some guest had ceilings that were falling in . The bar is open until 4:00am so if your a light sleeper you may here people walk by your room who have had a few . Not a bad place as some have written here , Didn't see any trash lying around, workers were all friendly .

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
#1 of 7 in Windham
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
Gavin's Irish Country Inn
#1 of 1 in Cornwallville

Been to Blackthorne Resort? Share your experiences!