“Abort Mission!!!”
Review of Blackthorne Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in East Durham
Blackthorne Resort
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in East Durham
Reviewed February 16, 2010

My childhood memories of the Mullins/Blackthorne are ruined forever after visiting 30 years later. My dream was to have a family reunion at my beloved childhood vacation spot. My husband, sons and I traveled a day earlier to have some alone time. Thank goodness... because I was able to tell my family members to ABORT MISSION! It was horrible....my husband was being a sport about it...but my children were miserable! Everything was dirty, broken, and smelly.

The rates were outrageous for this place....we were quoted $747 for a three night stay....all inclusive??? The first night was a cook out. The men cooking was toothless and dirty. My husband asked for BBQ chicken...."Hamburgers and Hotdogs," he said. My husband then said, "Ok, two cheeseburgers and two hotdogs." The man said, "NO CHEESEBURGERS, I said hamburgers and hotdogs only!" When the burgers were done, he pointed the burger on the utensil at my husband....gestured to the table that held the bags of IGA hamburger rolls. This all inclusive place comes with no frills. The tables are thrown together with three legged chairs...lying mostly on their side.

Run away from this place....as quickly as possible!! I did...and so did my family!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank mphLongIsland
There are newer reviews for Blackthorne Resort

Reviewed February 11, 2010

if you pure white go to nyc but if you like country this is the place. a great resort with excellent food. all the locals are here. where can you get a bloody Mary for $2. these people
have pulled an old resort back from the dead & do a great job. bob lavoy altamont ny

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2009

I just got back from Celtic weekend at the Blackthorne Resort. I would not call it a "resort with luxury rooms" as their website does. It is par to camping. I went with my boyfriend and my 2 teenage daughers. I decided to pick up the tab this time, since my boyfriend has treated us so many times in the past. I feel totally ripped off!!! Our rooms were so old and smelly - we had adjoining. My daughter's bed was broken, our toilet did not work properly. Someone came with a plunger - when we told him it was a flushing problem not a plunging problem he left & never came back. The food was horrendous. They did not even have decent OJ. The place is so run down - I am sure back in the day it was quite a place - too bad the owners have become greedy. Someone told us the guests have become destructive also. Whatever the combo, if you are into non-stop partying with kids of all ages running wild go for it. I like to party & have fun, but it was a little too low class for me & I am not a snob by any means. Bottom line for me - what a rip off!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank losthighway1
Reviewed August 25, 2009

What a dump.
Dirty, dingy, smelly rooms (mildew) the ceiling are stained from water leaks in the Tara House section. The A/C didn’t work, the phone didn’t work and the picture tube on the TV was going; poor picture. The food choices at the dinning room are limits to 2 choices. The food was eeick. My kids got sick from either the heat of the room, the food, or the pool. We had to cut or loses and get out of there, checked in Sunday afternoon and checked out first thing Wednesday morning as soon as the kids were well enough to travel. Some vacation
I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND The Black Thorne TO ANY ONE!!!!!!!!!!
2 full days and it was the vacation from Hell.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank vinman54
Reviewed August 5, 2009

I just stayed at the Black Thorne in my side for a week with my wife and kids. It is a DUMP!!!!!!! The rooms are gross stained and broken. You have to time your showers when no one else is taking one to get hot water. The grounds are great, the staff is very nice. The rooms are a DUMP! It is a great place to camp (it has to be cleaner than the rooms). There was a family reunion during our stay, they were lower working class and a bit loud. The fishing pond is smaller than the sink, but there is good fishing in the river near by. If you stay at the Black Thorn do not expect the Hilton. The staff is nice the rooms are just old and wore out. Breakfast is great if you can get past the dirty dishes.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank sidram
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Take away the lap of luxuries and go back when things weren't handed to everyone and this is what you get!!! Are you ever in your room on vacation really suck it up you sleep on the bed not the floor!! And hey its a ranch and so what the water doesn't go down all the way in the shower at least you get the stink off your body!! I suggest to people who don't like this place to go with a large group like we do every year. The same people have been going up there for over 50 years not so much to Blachthorne but to other area places that have closed! I'm 32 years old and basically have been away to the 5 star hotels where people cater to you hand and foot and still haven't had a better time than when I'm here!! The cost is great and hey its food just eat it if not get a fancy room with a stove or BBQ however its really not that bad beef goulash is great!! And ma cooks from the heart. The activities well with the group we go with I loose more weight here then the gym even with the drinking! Night time can get rowdy but come on its vacation! I suggest anyone who likes a good time with friends,family and who enjoys eating, drinking and bbq's or to just lay around come to Blackthorne!!!

• Stayed: July 2009
Reviewed May 25, 2009

This place is ok when you are in you twenties and plan to drink all night. As you get older you realize the rooms and unkept (and moldy) amd the food is average at best. try Sunny Acres which is about 20 minutes away and suitable for familes

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Catskill Mountain Lodge
Catskill Mountain Lodge
#1 of 1 in Palenville
Acra Manor Resort & Hotel

Been to Blackthorne Resort? Share your experiences!