“Tantalus with a different name”
Review of Medici House - CLOSED

Medici House
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I recently visited the new incarnation of Tantalus, Medici House - once for lunch with a friend and again for dinner with my husband. The restaurant was nearly empty on the day I went for lunch. My companion and I both had frittatas and were told by the wait person that they take a little longer to prepare, at least 15 minutes. They arrived fresh, hot and tasty. Service and food we both very good, but then again, the place was almost empty. This evening my husband and I went there for an early dinner, prompted by their current BOGO promotion. Again, the restaurant was nearly empty (Sunday night @ 5 pm). Service was excellent and the meals we ordered were served promptly. Portions of my salmon and my husband's veal were generous and the preparations were outstanding.

I previously experienced some of the negative attributes mentioned by other reviewers, i.e. slow service and poorly trained servers, arrogant owners, and noise when this restaurant was Tantalus. The owners are the same so I expect they haven't changed much but I will give them a chance since my experiences over the past two months have both been positive.

One additional note - the menu doesn't go on for pages like it did when this was Tantalus. BUT, the number of nightly dinner specials are still incredible...how can so many things be "special?" That being said, our two dinners were "specials" and were excellent so I guess it works for them!

If you want good food and good service, I would recommend this restaurant at times other than happy hour and Friday/Saturday nights.

3  Thank WandererSarasotaFL

Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stopped going to Tantalus a while back for a few reasons. The atmosphere was rather loud, but the history on this old feedmill wasn't really intended to be a restaurant! I love conversion building, so for the right circumstances, loud is o.k! With small children, I could see the acoustics becoming a problem! The service was the big problem. They seem to get behind rather quickly and I don't see that being resolved with the new name change! The food was great. My husband had a Chicken salad sandwich on chibatta bread with hand cut fries, which he loved. I had the chicken parm open faced sandwich, which was good but I needed a steak knife to cut through..lol. Our server was very nice, but I think he had too many tables to handle while trying to remain prompt. We were the first to be seated for lunch and it still took too long. We will go back again to see how they go for dinner. They sent out awesome coupons to get us hooked! If their service time picks up, I'm sure this will become a favorite!

1  Thank Nancy K
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Still can't figure out why this was changed from Tantulus....its the same spot, same menu, same service and still good food...lots of really different offerings....enjoyed the Lobster and Scallop Risotto very much....have always liked the food here

1  Thank ttlee
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This restaurant used to be named tantalus. When my wife and i went we thought it as under different ownership and thought we would try it. The same problems exist under the new name too. Terrible service by the staff, Food was brought out cold and took forever. Our drinks were never refilled and had to go up to the bar to get any service. Asked to speak to the manager and he brought over the owner. Owner was arrogant, [--] and i believe drunk by his inability to stand straight while talking to us. It was so bad i asked to speak to him away from our table and my wife. The owner stated that i obviously didn't recognize good food and i should leave. People be ware this person has no respect for his patrons and if you have children for gods sake do not bring them into this environment. There are better places to eat in town with owners that respect the customer.

6  Thank Dan254
Reviewed May 20, 2013

You should probably try the food before you shoot this eastablishment down. Apparently you have to much time on your hands, get a hobby, or stop in for a meal.

Regards,