“Not a family restaurant”

Grover's Bar & Grill
Ranked #1 of 38 Restaurants in East Amherst
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner
Reviewed June 1, 2011

It's supposed to be a restaurant and bar as seen on Diner's, Driveins and Dives. It is not! There are no high chairs or booster seats for kids. I had to try and get my 16 month old to stay on a chair which was not fun and my 2 month old had to be on the floor in her car seat. There are no kids meals. There are no covers for drinks so your kids can drink them or even take them with us. Food was good though. Burgers huge and done rare side. Staff wasn't the friendlies though. Probably wouldn't ever go back. Good to try once if you don't have kids. The Cheeseburger soup was good, but very greasy so make sure your stomach can handle it! And apparently a chef salad is just lettuce. They do not put turkey, ham, eggs etc in it-which they don't explain. That was a disappointment.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

We did a DDD tour of Buffalo and Cleveland from our home in Toronto. This place was truly special. Although this was the last restaurant (of 5) we visited on our mini-tour, and we were still semi-full from breakfast, our meal here forced us to "suck it up" and make room. We shared two different burgers and the wings. First, the burgers. In a word, wow. I am very picky about burgers, and consider myself somewhat of a connoisseur. These were nothing short of spectacular. The first one, I believe, was named the Big Bruiser. It had Blue Cheese and caramelized onions. The burger itself is 12 oz, which is obviously huge, and then is draped with an extremely generous helping of blue cheese and caramelized onions on a good quality bun. Not for the faint of heart. The other burger had cheddar, onion straws, jalapenos and Chiptole mayo. Again, very generous toppings and wow, was that a good combination of flavours! The wings were very very good. Large wings with a nice crisp texture. A restrained amount of sauce was used, and had a delicious Buffalo, parmesan garlic flavour that was excellent. This place was so good, I would definitely visit again from Toronto, even if I had to drive an extra 25-50 miles to get here from places like Niagara Falls, Buffalo, etc. FYI, it's cash only and no dessert. Although we had no wait, we were there at 3:30 on a Tuesday. I'm told there are significant crowds at peak hours.

1  Thank Scruff2727
Reviewed May 24, 2011

My son treated me for lunch and we had an excellant meal. It was a Saturday around noon and he and I ate at the bar. The mushroom swiss burger I ordered was tasy and cooked jus the way I liked it. I did have to use a knife and fork since the bottom part of the bun became totally soaked. The burger was huge and even though I am a big eater it more than satisfied my appetite. We split an order of their fries, which were excellant. Our service was great and we will definitely be back.
Bill-Indy

1  Thank Doggs
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Burgers are very large and filling. Delicious! It is a busy place that is pretty small so the it is a bit loud in there. Waiting for a table you may feel a little cramped in the bar area but worth the wait. There were two of us, we ordered two burgers, a basket of half fries and half onion rings and two pops and it came to $25 and some cents. If you like dives and great food that will fill you up, stop in to Grover's! Just be prepared they only take cash! The do not take reservations, so find the chalkboard to put your name on the list!

Reviewed February 7, 2011

If you have cash and can get past waiting in a crammed bar area for an hour to grab 1 of ~20 tables, and you love burgers & wings, then this is the place for you! By far the most & best burger you can get for the price .. and the decor is quite entertaining too.

Best not go with a large group though, as seating will always go in order of signing up, "unless you are a big group", in which case, when your group is next on the list, they will have to wait & wait for the large table to open, rather than have the servers leave a smaller table open for a short while while the adjacent smaller table opens. We were one away from being called, but the group of 2 got seated at the table for 6 since their name was on the list first. Funny, but our name was next on the listt, but 6 other groups who came after us got seated before us, as we had to wait for the other large table to open :( If they managed seating better for large groups, not only would they get people through faster, they would have received a higher service rating, since the staff are otherwise friendly & great at delivering food in a prompt manner.